Beer - trading & discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
canuck
Art Freak

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 am

Love when this beer comes around.

NWPA (North West Pale Ale)

60 IBU count

6.2%

Has a nice citrus punch, bold hop aroma and clean finish. (straight from the bottle lol)

Definitely worth picking up! I went to three different places and picked up all the had.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am

did a bit of a Sump battle royale.. BA Sump, 2016 Sump (new batch), 2016 Sump Adola variant :pint:
IMG_20170112-1.jpg
kansasbbq
Art God

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

Who won?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
kansasbbq
Art God

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 am

ImAMonster wrote:Can confirm they went out around 10:30. Got one this morning. I'm the only one of my friends to score, but it should still be a fun event.
Enjoy!!
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Moonraker brewing is getting a lot of attention lately up here in Nor Cal. Putting out some delicious juice bombs. Went to the can release a while back and picked up some of these. Their "Hermit" is a great IPA, but "Holy Hermit" DIPA is damn delicious.

zefarrett
Art Freak

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Diamondback brewery opened up just a few minutes walk from me. A buddy is one of the owners. He was super excited and hyped this up to me. Looks tasty as drymount. :drool:

Double dry hopped Hop Brothel DIPA 8%

me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
kansasbbq
Art God

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Baker wrote:
kansasbbq wrote:^Let me know if you need help.
Thanks! In general Brandon makes a point to always get part of the bottle allocation when he does a collab so I assume we will get some back here. Jackie O's collab is bottle conditioning right now, that JK collab just got brewed, and he has a Rare Barrel one in the works that is getting decided what they are actually brewing soon. Lots of good collabs going on.
Per JK's blog:

Yesterday we brewed our first 100% spontaneously fermented beer of 2017! We had the pleasure of being joined by Brandon Jones of Yazoo Brewing Co. / Embrace the Funk in Nashville, Tennessee. Brandon is a great brewer, even better person, and his work as a professional and amateur has inspired us over the years. Like us, Brandon has a passion for spontaneous fermentation. The randomness of the results based on the airborne microbes, and the connection of the beer to a time, place, and people, really appeals to both of us.

In advance of his trip, Brandon sent us Tennessee-grown oats, rose hips, and lemongrass. We combined the oats with Texas-grown Silver Star malted barley and raw Texas-grown wheat, both from Blacklands Malt in Leander, Texas. We did a turbid mash, long boil with aged hops, knocked out to our coolship, and let the wort chill overnight, become inoculated with airborne yeast and bacteria, and steep with the rose hips and lemongrass. This morning, we’re racking the wort to oak barrels for 100% spontaneous fermentation. How long the beer takes to be ready, if at all, is anyone’s guess. My guess would probably be 18 to 24 months.

Central Texas winter weather is highly variable. It could be an overnight low of 35F or 65F. Brandon happened to be visiting us during a warm stretch of weather, which came on the heels of some frigid weather (for us anyway). The overnight low temperature wasn’t sufficient to cool the wort, so we used our immersion chiller in the coolship. The immersion chiller runs cold water through copper pipes that come into contact with the wort. Despite overnight lows in the 60s, the wort this morning was nice and cool to the touch. How the microbial balance with warmer temperature effects the fermentation is something we’ll find out. We did a similar experiment with warmer overnight temperature and an immersion chiller last winter with Fonta Flora Brewery, and the results are tasting fantastic about a year later. So we have high hopes for this spontaneous fermentation despite less than ideal weather. We’ll see!

I did want to point out that while this beer will be 100% spontaneously fermented (no yeast or bacteria pitched), it does not follow the process of making SPON — Méthode Gueuze, which is closely linked to and inspired by authentic Belgian Gueuze. We made some key departures from Méthode Gueuze, including for instance our use of an immersion chiller, warmer than appropriate winter weather, and the addition of adjunct ingredients like rose hips and lemongrass. I’m actually glad we can put forth an example of a spontaneous fermentation that isn’t so closely tied to the Lambic/Gueuze tradition. I love the tradition immensely, and find it incredibly inspirational, but spontaneous fermentation is a broad category, and Méthode Gueuze is just a part of it. We enjoy the freedom to experiment with unique techniques, interesting ingredients, and great friends, all while still doing 100% spontaneous fermentation.

It was an honor having Brandon down here to Texas to brew with us! We’ll patiently wait and see how this 100% spontaneous fermentation turns out in the months and years ahead.
Baker
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Very cool! Brandon has been doing a bunch of facebook live streams yesterday and today during the process. Has been really cool to see it all come together.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 pm

i'm thirsty!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Third beer in a row I've enjoyed from MT. They've really stepped up their game, especially with the IPAs.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
infrared90s
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:57 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:Moonraker brewing is getting a lot of attention lately up here in Nor Cal. Putting out some delicious juice bombs. Went to the can release a while back and picked up some of these. Their "Hermit" is a great IPA, but "Holy Hermit" DIPA is damn delicious.
did you drive up there? i was surprised at how far out of the way it is
Codeblue wrote:Third beer in a row I've enjoyed from MT. They've really stepped up their game, especially with the IPAs.
was surprised at them changing the recipe. now if they can only lower the price on their BA stuff...
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm

infrared90s wrote:did you drive up there? i was surprised at how far out of the way it is
Yes. It's about an hour and 20 minute drive to Sac/Auburn from where I live.
canuck
Art Freak

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Beer!
chalkdust
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:00 pm

kansasbbq wrote:Who won?

the BA of course 8)

wasn't a huge fan of the Adola variant, thought the regular Sump was outstanding as usual. I look forward to seeing on draft around town for the next few weeks.
HisBobness
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 pm

Not enjoyable... and I have 5 more...