Top 5 Pick-Ups of 2016

General art-related discussion.
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:43 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:That Slayer Fairey is one of my faves. \m/

Seasons > Reign in Blood
WOW!! Both great but season's falls under reign for me.

Also nice pick ups Phishstix!
" time wounds all the heals"
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Okay, now that they're all on the wall, here are my top 5 from this year:

treweman
Art Expert

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 pm

^^^ Good grief! Five crazy good additions to your collection.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:19 pm

treweman wrote:^^^ Good grief! Five crazy good additions to your collection.
Yeah, 2017 needs to kind of be an off year for my wallet's sake. But last year was a great year for acquisitions.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Hey there, EB tribe. Here's a glimpse into what I've been up to this past year. I won't be sharing this batch of art on either of the Banksy forums because I've learned that a select puritanical few actually get riled up by partial nudity! :rolling: A few unexciting notes about each piece included below (which you can skip)... Hope you all had a Merry Christmas, and wish you a safe New Year ahead.

"You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul" - George Bernard Shaw

Kwon Kyung-Yup - Space of Memory
(c. 2009) 20.75" x 13.15" oil on canvas
I own another piece by Kwon Kyung-yup entitled "Sentimental" (c. 2013) which I consider one of the best in my collection. I acquired it at her show in Rome, Italy at Dorothy Circus Gallery 3 1/2 years ago. I always wanted to acquire another of her works, but it has to be the right piece (and priced within reason). She had a show in Los Angeles earlier this year, but none of the pieces in that show inspired me. Interestingly, I've noticed the artist has titled at least two other artworks the same as this one: Space of Memory. This painting was exhibited at Flower Pepper Gallery in Pasadena, CA, from Dec 2015 - Jan 2016, for their 4th Anniversary Show. As I was about to place a deposit, the gallery owner said she needed to share something with me - she said the piece was actually created in 2009, would that be a problem? I smiled and said not at all! That just tells me that the artwork will stand the test of time!

Clive Barker - The Blues
(c. 2016) 18" x 22" mixed media on paper
Clive Barker is a wildly imaginative writer and filmmaker. But I've always loved his fine artwork best! The book covers he created for the original British editions of The Books of Blood, Volumes I - VI, were awesome! The over-the-top content was pretty good too: I still vividly remember short stories like "Dread", "Jacqueline Ess, Her Last Will and Testament", and "The Age of Desire". Back in the 90s, I remember he gave a thoughtful and rather serious lecture at a horror convention in Los Angeles. I sensed the audience expected something entirely different. Afterwards, I had him sign a B&W photo from the rare Hellraiser press kit and as he did, I told him that he was one of my favorite philosophers and that the lecture was inspiring. He looked up and said, "I like you!" Those were the days when celebrities didn't charge for autographs. I am hoping that one day, if the sun, moon, and stars properly align, that I will acquire one of his canvas paintings.

Miss Bugs - Night Night Sleep Tight
(c. 2015) 195cm x 145cm Pharmaceutical pills float cast in resin on wood and aluminum
A requisite Marilyn Monroe. I doubt that either Norma Jean herself or Hollywood's dream factory was behind her death (i.e stress, depression, and ultimately suicide or reckless self-overdose). I suspect the same cabal behind JFK's assassination snuffed her out. Although it's 'fun' but always disturbing to contemplate the various theories, I did not share those conspiratorial musings with Miss or Bugs. But I did share how I liked the heavy lid of her right eye, and how I perceived the colors and patterns to be telling a story, whereby blue represents her consciousness or wakeful state as it fades and she succumbs to her final sleep. They did love my interpretation of the piece. I finished paying for this in July 2015. But due to several setbacks and delays, the monumental piece didn't get shipped and delivered till Feb 2016.

George Morton-Clark - American Mess
(c. 2016) 100cm x 120cm oil on canvas
This painting was completed first week of November - yes, the same time our wild, insanely stressful U.S. Presidential election finally came to an end. I'm still in the process of paying the artwork off however... I had a lively discussion with George about the elections via email (the depth of corruption within the DNC, the aggressive anti-Russia warmongering rhetoric on the debate stage (which persists to this day), and the audacity of a fully propagandized and shameless legacy "news" media, that thankfully most Americans now realize is a joke). The abstract painting is of course wide open to interpretation. I think of the suffering we've wrought (either directly or indirectly) in Libya, Syria, Yemen, Ukraine, Iraq, and on and on... Anyway, I may meet George in person this month for the first time - would be cool as I've been collecting his work for 7 years.

Adam Miller - Pilgrimage In Spring
(c. 2014) 26" x 36" oil on canvas
I own Adam Miller's original painting, "A Gentle Breeze" (2011). To this day, it's the 2nd most expensive work of art I ever purchased. So I never thought I'd own another Miller, as his paintings have actually tripled in price over the past couple years. But it happened. Thank you to a very cool and enthusiastic art collector who reached out to me via Expresso Beans and offered this painting to me!
Last edited by entropy on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:21 pm

Mighty impressive!!
stuarthimsley
Art Expert

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm

Signed by Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams

Signed by John Carpenter

Pearlescent regular edition of 5

treweman
Art Expert

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:01 am

phishstix101 wrote:Mighty impressive!!
I agree. You never disappoint, Entropy. And this year's five are very eclectic. Major kudos, my friend, and many thanks for sharing.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:23 am

phishstix101 wrote:Mighty impressive!!
treweman wrote:I agree. You never disappoint, Entropy. And this year's five are very eclectic. Major kudos, my friend, and many thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words, guys! You're the best! :artist:
Sniffer85
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:25 am

stuarthimsley wrote:Image
Signed by Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams

Signed by John Carpenter

Pearlescent regular edition of 5

Some big grails picked up here, well done :clap:
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Okay, now that they're all on the wall, here are my top 5 from this year:

Who are these by?
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Conor Harrington and Jose Parla.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:59 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Conor Harrington and Jose Parla.
Yeah, them. :D
hunterjax
Art Expert

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:22 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
Yeah, them. :D
Parla is the artist who did the piece at NYC's Freedom Tower, right?

great pieces iwoke!
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 pm

cheers