World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
carljwiii
Art Expert

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:58 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:
kcn0 wrote:Pappy is hitting stores today..... are there any online sites that I should be watching?
For PA folks, lottery information can be found here.
Thanks!! Entered. Fingers and tosies crossed.
I am a Rhinoceros and my skin is 2 feet thick
quiksilvr22
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 am

carljwiii wrote:
cmatthews11 wrote:
For PA folks, lottery information can be found here.
Thanks!! Entered. Fingers and tosies crossed.

The local news ran a segment stating there are over 68K entries. :shock: :hanging:
ImageImage
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:06 am

quiksilvr22 wrote:
The local news ran a segment stating there are over 68K entries. :shock: :hanging:
A tremendous amount of them, especially the package entries, are from people looking to sell a bottle if they win.
This is exactly what they were trying to move away from by instituting the new lottery system.

Also realize there are 9 separate and distinct lotteries, so they probably have about 8-10K in on each of the individual bottle lotteries (except the 23YO) which is about the same as last year, or for the BTAC for example. I'm guessing only 4-5 thousand entries for the packages and the 23YO.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am

Sometimes I wished I lived in PA just to have a chance at these sometimes
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
kyler4444
Art Expert

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:23 pm

I've entered a couple of lotteries for Pappy, BTAC, Elijah Craig 18 & 23 Year, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon etc. and am going to a specialty Bourbon Store next week which will be doing a lottery but also selling Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, E.T.L., Russell's Reserve Store Pics, and other great stuff off the shelf and doing some tastings with for Russell's and a few other notable distillers. It's going to be a blast.
ISO: Stout - The Thing Image
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Sometimes I wished I lived in PA just to have a chance at these sometimes
It was way better before the lottery.

There have been almost 50 separate lotteries since the new system came into play, and I and everyone I know was on an oh-fer until I hit for Thomas Handy in the very last BTAC drawing.

I think there are people with multiple accounts/addresses/CC#s in the mix who are buying the bottles for profit alone.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:32 pm

padelimike wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:Sometimes I wished I lived in PA just to have a chance at these sometimes
It was way better before the lottery.

There have been almost 50 separate lotteries since the new system came into play, and I and everyone I know was on an oh-fer until I hit for Thomas Handy in the very last BTAC drawing.

I think there are people with multiple accounts/addresses/CC#s in the mix who are buying the bottles for profit alone.
Me and you are the 1%'ers who hit for that! One account for me here.
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Decent week of hunting. Nabbed an Elijah 18 yr and BP, Pappy 10 yr and High West Midwinters Dram act 4, scene 3. :D
Collect them all. Before you Die®
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Defiant Whisky
https://www.defiantwhisky.com
Is pretty damn delicious. Incredibly smooth straight.
That's what she said
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:33 pm

finneganm wrote:Defiant Whisky
https://www.defiantwhisky.com
Is pretty damn delicious. Incredibly smooth straight.
That Single Malt is available in Pa.
$40.

Drinks like a Scotch?
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm not nearly the whisky-phile that many of you guys are, but it blew me away. Very smooth, only 82 proof, and one of the few I've had recently that I didn't need to put some ice on.
That's what she said
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:59 pm

finneganm wrote:I'm not nearly the whisky-phile that many of you guys are, but it blew me away. Very smooth, only 82 proof, and one of the few I've had recently that I didn't need to put some ice on.

Sounds like a good deal. Maybe I'll pick one up soon and give it a shot. I just did some reorganizing of my liquor cabinet and realized that I have no bourbon that I can just sit and crush all day. Everything is goddamn heavy hitting unopened bottles or expensive stuff for a nice one-off glass. I guess I'll be pounding Stone's and Narwahl's watching football all day now.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:01 pm

People love that high octane stuff, but it mostly tastes like paint thinner to me. My palate is not sophisticated enough.
That's what she said
fredo
Art God

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 am

Don't give up on the high octane stuff- it is made for cutting w/ H2O to your taste. Experimentin' is a good way to develop a palate too.
just a foil for me today, thanks
thescofieldkid
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:00 pm

fredo wrote:Don't give up on the high octane stuff- it is made for cutting w/ H2O to your taste. Experimentin' is a good way to develop a palate too.
Couldn't agree more Fredo. People are way too uptight about how to drink properly in general. There's no "right way" to do any of it. I'm always open to suggestions, but @ the end of the day it's about finding what feels right to you. I like high proof stuff when I'm mixing drinks (old fashioned and Manhattan's) and when poured over a large cube. A splash of water or a sliver of ice can really open some stuff up while drinking neat.

I'm a big fan of side by sides and will try the same juice a few different ways in one sitting.

Find a local spot that has a good selection, decent prices and offers flights.

Let's drink!
Collect them all. Before you Die®