The Tim Doyle/ Nakatomi Art Thread

General art-related discussion.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:23 pm

I have a lot of respect for Tim for the business he's built, especially with the impetus that spawned it. Obviously it's his business and he can operate it how he sees fit.

I do take some issue with his sometimes disingenuous responses to critiques of his practices, like the one above or to questions of his editioning practices in the past. Tim is obviously a really smart guy with the ability to perform feats of acrobatic logic, which I think sometimes equate to intellectual dishonesty. Perhaps he should just say, "It's my business. I do what I want." But it isn't my business and he can say what he wants.

I've spoken with Tyler on this issue, in person, and it definitely isn't my place to share what he said with the rest of the world. His response was typical Tyler.
RCP13
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 pm

irishlastname wrote:The saddest aspect of these sales is that Doyle's art isn't high quality enough to move these tubes on their own so he needs to offer another artist's aftermarket work to make money.
But as he already stated, he can't control that. :hanging:
mobius006
Art Freak

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:36 pm

So I've waited to read this thread for a few days. Binging it like HoC has been sweet :pint:
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:39 pm

SPAC04 wrote:
bluebirdsong wrote: The thing that bugs Tyler probably the most is people like me who bother him via email.
Not really lol he welcomes emails... I incline you to take the time to talk to him; send him a letter you won't be disappointed. Ask any question that has been bugging you about a poster or design he did for a band and he will have something to say. We have had some lengthy exchanges, talk $HIT all you want; you're wasting your breath.. I have talked to Tyler more than once and can tell you that he is not bothered by interacting with his fanbase at all.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:47 pm

alexfugazi wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:fifty years from now, he'll still have some spare The Thing prints lying around for mystery tube sales.
Nah- what happens here is that old employees of Mondo and Alamo- who I gave the prints to originally back in the day, are now selling them back to me. I'm paying them fair value for them, and then just giving them away in these tube sales. I rationalize the expense by knowing that some people buy these mystery tubes JUST for the older prints, despite the fact that isn't really the intent, but I can't control that. I actually have a very sparse poster collection, and don't consider myself a poster collector at all. If I don't think I'm going to hang it, I don't buy it.

But at this point, I think I may have re-bought almost all of the prints I gave away, with some notable exceptions.

As far as if it bothers Tyler or not- I really don't know. I hope not-he's a very nice person. I can think though- if this bothers him, he must feel very bothered by all you here who only see dollar signs when you hear of a new Stout release, and all the flipping/scalping that occurs.
I think that's a load of fudge and you're lying. You say you "gave" these prints to all these old employees? Doubt it. Was that how old Mondo worked, you were the ONE in charge and would just give away prints to employees? And now they, who are looking to make a few bucks off of these old Stouts, are selling them back to you for "fair value?" Why wouldn't they just sell them on ebay for market value?

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are reprinting old Stout's and using them for these sales. Sorry Tim, IMO you are unethical and have lied before many many times, either by not telling the whole truth or just by omission. Really no reason to believe what you say here.

Also pretty sure you said some similar things before and Mitch came in to dispute your claims. Not gonna go back and dig up the exchange but it's on this site somewhere.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
bluebirdsong
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:52 pm

AND OH if anyone has been buying The Dude stickers off eBay for 100 dollars (you know the one with the bowling pins) don't do it Tyler made slightly larger ones than the original sticker that aren't limited; he should tossing them in with orders.. Also don't buy the handbills for FMF off eBay he'll be throwing handbills in with orders for the new poster, drymount your secondary market prices eBay.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are reprinting old Stout's and using them for these sales
irishlastname
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:12 pm

earlgreytoast wrote: Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are reprinting old Stout's and using them for these sales. Sorry Tim, IMO you are unethical and have lied before many many times
ding ding
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:17 pm

irishlastname wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote: Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are reprinting old Stout's and using them for these sales. Sorry Tim, IMO you are unethical and have lied before many many times
ding ding

that's quite the aligation
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:20 pm

allegation*
agr719
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:26 pm

bluebirdsong wrote:AND OH if anyone has been buying The Dude stickers off eBay for 100 dollars (you know the one with the bowling pins) don't do it Tyler made slightly larger ones than the original sticker that aren't limited; he should tossing them in with orders.. Also don't buy the handbills for FMF off eBay he'll be throwing handbills in with orders for the new poster, drymount your secondary market prices eBay.
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:29 pm

this is gonna get good I can feel it

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:31 pm

^ same with the Heath Joker (cept new color scheme), as well as the kill bill Hanzo logo.

All very cool, but I am really anticipating Pros & Cons series 4 completion.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:this is gonna get good I can feel it
Nothing to see here. Tim's response, if there is one, will be ALL MYSTERY TUBES ARE SOLD, THANKS! GONNA GO drymount YOUR MOM ON A PILE OF CASH NOW. Or some similar combination of arrogance and evasion.

Oh also, none of this matters! Tim will keep timming and EB will keep EBing. God bless us all.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:43 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:Tim will keep timming and EB will keep EBing. God bless us all.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!