Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Hard drive. You can get a 2tb western digital drive for like $80 bucks
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:15 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Hard drive. You can get a 2tb western digital drive for like $80 bucks
Perfect. I need to get on that. Thanks.

Do you use a program or something that automatically backs everything up, or do it manually?
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:Hard drive. You can get a 2tb western digital drive for like $80 bucks
Perfect. I need to get on that. Thanks.

Do you use a program or something that automatically backs everything up, or do it manually?
I just use a WD hard drive and Apple's built in time machine.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:20 pm

what he said ^^^^^
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Snagged a 13" w/ Touch Bar today. Amazon has $200 off the top end model. For the wife, of course. Her Late 2012 rMBP AppleCare ends 10/31/16, so we'll drop that off tomorrow to take care of the freezing and trackpad issues. Then sell it on ebay once we get it back.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

I really want AirPods, but I also feel like I'm an idiot for really wanting AirPods. Did any of you grab a pair? Thoughts so far?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:37 pm

I have test drove them. And they sound better than I expected them too.

I don't have a wireless fetish for audio equipment. My thing is more fidelity more than anything else and wireless just doesn't sound as good.

If it were me I would spend $150 on Etymotic brand headphones. But they are probably going to be wired.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 am

35mmpaul wrote:I have test drove them. And they sound better than I expected them too.

I don't have a wireless fetish for audio equipment. My thing is more fidelity more than anything else and wireless just doesn't sound as good.

If it were me I would spend $150 on Etymotic brand headphones. But they are probably going to be wired.
Thanks. I agree and if I pull the trigger, it wouldn't be for fidelity, it would be more for the convenience of being wireless. I have a couple of cheap bluetooth sets and they're okay, but the fit is off and they're a PITA to sync and charge and all of that. #FirstWorldProblems
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

“Apple is currently finalizing designs for their Alexa competitor, expected to be marketed as a Siri/AirPlay device,” Sonny Dickson said on Twitter.

Dickson, who has a decent track record when leaking details about unreleased Apple products (especially iPhones) also said the upcoming Echo rival is “believed to carry some form of Beats technology, and is expected to run [an iOS variant].”

The insider did not mention anything about an actual launch date for the product, or a price.
I'm way more excited about a standalone Siri device than I should be.
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:50 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:
“Apple is currently finalizing designs for their Alexa competitor, expected to be marketed as a Siri/AirPlay device,” Sonny Dickson said on Twitter.

Dickson, who has a decent track record when leaking details about unreleased Apple products (especially iPhones) also said the upcoming Echo rival is “believed to carry some form of Beats technology, and is expected to run [an iOS variant].”

The insider did not mention anything about an actual launch date for the product, or a price.
I'm way more excited about a standalone Siri device than I should be.
I love Apple products (have iphone, ipad, AppleTV). I think Apple is going to have a difficult time if they are looking to do a competing product to the Amazon Echo. I've had one for about a year now and use it for timers, info, weather and most importantly lighting controls with Lutron Caseta switches. Very convenient. Apple will need to open their platform aka Echo skills if they want to get a lot of traction.

I sure hope they are up for it!
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:39 pm

The iOS 11 public beta is available as of today. It's not perfect and lags a bit, but 20 minutes in, it feels pretty useable and I haven't run into any show stoppers.
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 am

Have a question for apple geniuses out there. I have no idea what the drymount happened, but my wife's phone does not recognize the password or her finger id. Nothing extraordinary happened, really. We went out for a walk and the phone worked just fine. We were in a no-reception area for probably a couple of hours and once we were out, this thing happened. We tried turning the phone off and back on a few times and did not help. It has now been around 9 hours since it happened, so time does not seem to fix it either :lol:

I spent the past hour or so trying to find out what the drymount is going on and how to fix it and from what I understand the only way to fix it is either through iTunes or resting the phone and then restoring it from a back up. Well, the problem is that the phone has never been backed up (well, not since her iCloud storage ran out of space a while back), nor has it ever been connected to iTunes. It has been only connected to the computer in order to pull some photos out and that is it.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I would just erase the phone and be done with it, but it would be ideal if she could save the contacts. This is about all that has to be saved. Photos recovery would be preferred but not that necessary.

All input is appreciated.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 am

Did you try a reset? I think you just hold the power and home button down at the same time for 10+ seconds and the phone resets but doesn't erase anything. If it's a 7 then it's the power button and the volume down button.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 am

Hmmmm.never heard of signal affecting passcode and finger id. that is a new one. both of those securities are not tied to a wireless network.

if both are not working then the only thing to be done is erase it and start over.

Was she not backing up her contacts via icloud? or plugging into the computer?

There is not really a work around if the passcode and the touch id doesn't work.

doing a hard recent might be the only thing to try.

Silly but important questions to ask.

Did you drop the phone in water?

Are you sure that is her phone and not an accidentally swapped phone?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 am

Also try having her log into icloud.com

https://www.icloud.com/

it should show her there where contacts are backed up. I dont think they are linked to the icloud storage limit. could be wrong.

good luck.