Flattening Prints

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm

seems like it could have some bad results.

really, if you are looking at these type of options, why not just use a tube, some kraft paper and some masking tape? tape the kraft to the tube, reverse roll the print similar to how they picture in their tutorial, and then tape it closed for a period of time.

personally, would feel safer reverse rolling a print in a 3-4" diameter than the what 1"- 1 1/2" diameter of that core.

$.02.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:45 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
deadhead2k wrote:Do you think the acid free matters when it's only touching it for a very short time? I suppose I could I could surround the print in acid free paper so it never touches the actual blind?
Maybe not- I am far from an art care expert, but I know that when in doubt- acid free is the way to go. I don't think it would cause any issues, but I'm sure its still not good for it. Perhaps you could put tissue paper between the roller and the art?

Sorry, someone else might have more info than me...
Do you think the air that is around you prints is "acid free"? Or the tube it was shipped in, or the kraft paper it was rolled in? When you are looking for acid materials, you are looking for them for long term storage. You don't want to want your prints to come in contact with anything that is seeping acidic material, but in this case acid free is not a concern.
Image Image Image
deadhead2k

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

summoner wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:
deadhead2k wrote:Do you think the acid free matters when it's only touching it for a very short time? I suppose I could I could surround the print in acid free paper so it never touches the actual blind?
Maybe not- I am far from an art care expert, but I know that when in doubt- acid free is the way to go. I don't think it would cause any issues, but I'm sure its still not good for it. Perhaps you could put tissue paper between the roller and the art?

Do you think the air that is around you prints is "acid free"? Or the tube it was shipped in, or the kraft paper it was rolled in? When you are looking for acid materials, you are looking for them for long term storage. You don't want to want your prints to come in contact with anything that is seeping acidic material, but in this case acid free is not a concern.
That's what I was thinking. Do you have any input on the roller blind idea?
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

deadhead2k wrote:
summoner wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Do you have any input on the roller blind idea?
I think it is worth a shot, but would be worried that the roll was too tight for the size prints that we normally get. I have reverse rolled quite a few prints, and have never rolled them tighter than 3" in diameter (anything more scares me), and have only held the roll for about 30 seconds. I will usually do that from both the top and bottom edges, and they have always turned out fine.
Image Image Image
lsmith55
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 pm

summoner wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:

Hopefully I'm not breathing in acid in my house and yes-I believe most quality kraft paper that is used for shipping is in fact acid-free. If that is what is typically used though, I'm not sure.

But you are right, long term storage is the crucial point. Which is why i said- "I don't think it would cause any issues."
Last edited by lsmith55 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 pm

lsmith55 wrote:the kraft paper that is used for shipping is in fact acid-free.
Highly doubtful. I have yet to find a standard shipping kraft paper that is acid free. The tissue paper that is used, yes, may very well be acid free however.
Image Image Image
deadhead2k

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

I think I may run over to ikea this afternoon and find the roller blind with the thickest bar and give it a try on some less valuable prints.
lsmith55
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

summoner wrote:
lsmith55 wrote:the kraft paper that is used for shipping is in fact acid-free.
Highly doubtful. I have yet to find a standard shipping kraft paper that is acid free. The tissue paper that is used, yes, may very well be acid free however.
You're probably right, but it does exist. Don't know what the standards are for gallerys and shipping facilities, but I'm sure it is too expensive.
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 11.06.51 AM.png
lsmith55
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

deadhead2k wrote:I think I may run over to ikea this afternoon and find the roller blind with the thickest bar and give it a try on some less valuable prints.
Let us know how it goes- just try it on a crappy print. Good luck!
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm

lsmith55 wrote: Don't know what the standards are for gallerys and shipping facilities
glassine paper is often used for storage and shipping due to the pH neutrality
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
khetti
Art Enthusiast

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Bumping this again to see how the OP made out with the roller blind -- or if anyone else has any inputs!
coffeeemug
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 pm

khetti wrote:Bumping this again to see how the OP made out with the roller blind -- or if anyone else has any inputs!
wondering the outcome also. i have ironed prints on low heat before, always depended on the paper though.
stupdasso
New User

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey guys,
Similar to the thread here I have used a roll of Mylar (that I bought for another use) to flatten some prints right from the shipping tube. The Mylar came on it's own tube that has about a 4" diameter. The Mylar is stiff enough to support the print without buckling. Works well but the thicker paper used on a Mondo style print causes a slight hump that occurs where the layers overlap. This results in a shadow visible only from the back. To be clear it is not a crease. I expect this will disappear when the paper fully relaxes over time. Not noticeable from the front, even in racking light.
The roll cost me about $60