General art-related discussion.
Muppelope
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 am

Huh... Interesting.
danielpmcauliffe
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 am

I'm still very confused. I chalked it up to rich people on urban art forums who have enough money to buy Mr. Brainwash, but not enough for Banksy, and want a print on their wall that they can say Banksy's name when discussing it with their dumbass friends.
weshallallbe
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:55 am

danielpmcauliffe wrote:I'm still very confused. I chalked it up to rich people on urban art forums who have enough money to buy Mr. Brainwash, but not enough for Banksy, and want a print on their wall that they can say Banksy's name when discussing it with their dumbass friends.
I'd guess that accounts for a decent percentage of the people that hang these.
HelloExactly
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 am

danielpmcauliffe wrote:I'm still very confused. I chalked it up to rich people on urban art forums who have enough money to buy Mr. Brainwash, but not enough for Banksy, and want a print on their wall that they can say Banksy's name when discussing it with their dumbass friends.
Some of his stuff isn't terrible. "His" is a whole nother argument. When you watch Exit Through The Gift Shop, Terry at one point explains, "I want this, like that". So, he has a vision. Is he the one mocking it up and printing it, no.

Does that make him an artist? That's debatable, as is all art. I'm OK with it though. Even if it's fudge, if he "wants this like that", he's creating. And after all, that's really all art is. The intent to create.

If he's not an artist, he's an OK Art Director, and his success reflects that whether you agree with it or not.
ivxx4all
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:18 am

HelloExactly wrote:
Some of his stuff isn't terrible. "His" is a whole nother argument. When you watch Exit Through The Gift Shop, Terry at one point explains, "I want this, like that". So, he has a vision. Is he the one mocking it up and printing it, no.

Does that make him an artist? That's debatable, as is all art. I'm OK with it though. Even if it's fudge, if he "wants this like that", he's creating. And after all, that's really all art is. The intent to create.

If he's not an artist, he's an OK Art Director, and his success reflects that whether you agree with it or not.
Both true
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 am

weshallallbe wrote:
Muppelope wrote:I like the thumbprint bit.

In all seriousness though, you can sprinkle whatever you want on this image and it still wouldn't do anything for me. I guess maybe I'm somewhat ignorant, still being relatively new to the hobby, but what's this guy's claim to fame anyway?
Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Might still be on Netflix.
You can watch it on YouTube.
I'm not someone else.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 am

I used to like his work slightly, until I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop. Then I realized how much of a true idiot he is. I'm still convinced he's an elaborate Banksy troll
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
CHR1S
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:14 am

HelloExactly wrote:

I think he's a terrible Art Director. If he was an OK Art Director he might be able to produce something the least bit original. He's a good marketer though and that's what helped him get so much attention.
Last edited by CHR1S on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 am

This:
It was revealed in December 2014 that Guetta owns extensive Los Angeles real estate in a trust with his wife. It is believed that this real estate has financed his art exhibits
If any of us had a bunch of money in a trust, we could also have a great art career.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:47 am

mattlew69 wrote:This:
It was revealed in December 2014 that Guetta owns extensive Los Angeles real estate in a trust with his wife. It is believed that this real estate has financed his art exhibits
If any of us had a bunch of money in a trust, we could also have a great art career.
This is the most apt description of the MBW "studio."
I'm not someone else.
gorkie
Art Freak

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:43 am

jmagee87 wrote:I used to like his work slightly, until I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop. Then I realized how much of a true idiot he is. I'm still convinced he's an elaborate Banksy troll
His best images were put out between 2008-2011 (IMO). I have struggled to find anything of interest since.

Happy Friday!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am

gorkie wrote:
His best images were put out between 2008-2011 (IMO).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:53 am

HelloExactly wrote:If he's not an artist, he's an OK Art Director, and his success reflects that whether you agree with it or not.
Thats being generous.

It's art that appeals to people that aren't as understanding of the context behind him as an artist and the context of the images he appropriates. Or that his interns appropriate.

I was picking up something from my framer and another customer came in and picked up their MBW. It was Einstein holding a sign (probably saying life is beautiful). They were speechless for a moment or two and just couldn't get over their excitement. Going on for a few minutes of how beautiful the image was, how much it spoke to them. They left and my framer was just so annoyed and we just talked about the inherent problems with him as an artists.

But hey if it makes someone that happy is it that bad? Yeah I still think it kind of is. But I've just resigned that it just isn't for me.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

35mmpaul wrote:
HelloExactly wrote:If he's not an artist, he's an OK Art Director, and his success reflects that whether you agree with it or not.
Thats being generous.

It's art that appeals to people that aren't as understanding of the context behind him as an artist and the context of the images he appropriates. Or that his interns appropriate.

I was picking up something from my framer and another customer came in and picked up their MBW. It was Einstein holding a sign (probably saying life is beautiful). They were speechless for a moment or two and just couldn't get over their excitement. Going on for a few minutes of how beautiful the image was, how much it spoke to them. They left and my framer was just so annoyed and we just talked about the inherent problems with him as an artists.

But hey if it makes someone that happy is it that bad? Yeah I still think it kind of is. But I've just resigned that it just isn't for me.

Dollars to doughnuts they were just as excited to own the same piece as their favorite "insert celebrity shill picture here." There was an image of Al Pacino standing with MBW and the OG Einstein posted here not long ago.

"Oh, Madonna likes him so he must be an exceptional artist with amazing vision!"

I wonder how enamored people would be if he sounded like Cheech Marin instead of European?
I'm not someone else.
AttorneyGreg
Art Expert

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:39 am

AttorneyGreg wrote:I like the silver background one the best
1 left. #hype