Spoke Art - News, Releases, Shows, & Info!

General art-related discussion.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Richey Beckett Astrea is up if anyone is looking for one
I'm not someone else.
Ken
Art Expert

Sat May 28, 2016 6:48 pm

TONIGHT!

MiDNiTES FOR MANiACS & Spoke Art present:
A double feature of Kurt Russell films: The Thing (35mm) and Bone Tomahawk (DCP / SF Theatrical Premiere)
Friday, May 28, 2016 at The Roxie Theater

BUY ADVANCE TiX NOW https://ticketing.us.veezi.com/purchase ... 5yxk6nc40c

Spoke Art will be presenting a brand new limited edition screen print of John Carpenter's THE THiNG by artist David Moscati, available for purchase exclusively for attendees.

7:00p THE THiNG (1982) - 35mm Presentation
Directed by John Carpenter, Script by Bill Lancaster
Score by Ennio Morricone, Cinematography Dean Cundey
w/ Kurt Russell, Keith David and Wilford Brimley

John Carpenter's existential sci-fi remake of Howard Hawks' 1951 low-budget gem (and now the main inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL 8) is arguably the greatest sci-fi horror of the 1980s. Scripted by Bill Lancaster (The Bad News Bears), this masterpiece in heart stopping suspense, stations twelve men in the middle of Antartica. As they slowly (and xenophobically) lose trust in their fellow man, this brilliant revisionist Western can now be viewed as a prophetic allegory towards the decade's AIDS epidemic. Presented in glorious widescreen by Dean Cundey's spooky cinemascope cinematography and underscored by Ennio Morricone's defining, minimalist, synth soundtrack, it is Rob Bottin's game-changing and still jaw-dropping, practical and prosthetic SFX that make this apocalyptic paranoia prediction a genuine contemporary classic. DO NOT MiSS this 35mm presentation courtesy of Universal. Preceded by other 1980s monster movie trailers! 109m. Rated R.

plays with

9:20p BONE TOMAHAWK (2015) - SF Theatrical Premiere
Script/Directed by S. Craig Zahler
w/ Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, Richard Jenkins, Lili Simmons, David Arquette, Sid Haig, Sean Young

Overshadowed last year by the humongous egos of both Alejandro González Iñárritu & Quentin Tarantino, first time filmmaker S. Craig Zahler was nominated for multiple Independent Spirit Awards for his uniquely empathetic and truly profound Horror-Western. And I dare say that this classic Western is not only the best of the bunch; it's one of the best genre films of the decade. Gritty & witty performances by not only Kurt Russell, the perfect Sheriff of "Good Hope", but Patrick Wilson, who outacts Leonardo DiCaprio, and Richard Jenkins, who was nominated for a Spirit Award for his spot-on Walter Brennan impersonation. As the team track down their kidnapped loved ones from cannibalistic troglodytes, director Zahler not only uses John Ford's THE SEARCHERS (1956) as a storytelling guide, he genuinely achieves Ford's heartbreaking character dilemmas, haunting cinematic horizons and relentless rage. DO NOT MiSS THiS SF THEATRiCAL PREMiERE of the most underrated and overlooked film of 2015! DCP Presentation. 132 minutes. Rated (Hard) R for Sex and Nudity, Extreme Violence and Gore.
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Codeblue wrote:Looks like an apprentice to Soey Milk. #notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat
Literally the first thing that popped into my mind after 1 second of looking at the first image.
Ken
Art Expert

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Joshua Budich

"Lord of the Thrones"
Opening night reception : Thursday, June 2nd, 2016 (6-10pm)
On view: June 2nd - 25th, 2016

Spoke Art is pleased to present Lord of the Thrones, an art show in tribute to the two greatest fantasy epics of all time, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Inspired by the legendary literary works of George R.R. Martin and J.R.R. Tolkien, the exhibition features an array of original paintings and limited edition prints by an all-star roster of international artists.

Over 70 artists were invited to participate, resulting in a dazzling display of character portraits, elaborate environments and iconic themes and motifs from both series. Captivating audiences from multiple generations over the span of 50 years, both series have been wildly successful and have subsequently defined the fantasy genre for their time.

Probably the most obvious link between the two series is the authors’ painstaking amount of detail in their hand-crafted worlds. Both Tolkien and Martin have not only created a fictitious setting but have constructed an entire culture from start to finish. This amount of detail and vastness allows for a bountiful plethora of subject matter for each artist to chose from. Both authors revel in their complex story lines and epic narratives, culminating in a beautifully woven saga of fate and human triumph.

Please join us for Lord of the Thrones, opening Thursday, June 2nd, with an opening night reception from 6pm-10pm. The exhibition will be on view through Saturday, June 25th.

Online sales begin Friday, June 3rd at www.spoke-art.com

Participating artists include:
Stuart Whitton, Bruce White, Justin VanGenderen, Geoff Trapp, Maria Suarez-Inclan, Deangus, Meghan Stratman, Nick Stokes, Paul Shipper, Fernando Reza, Allison Reimold, Rebecca Rose, Michael Ramstead, Rich Pellegrino, Ruel Pascual, Lily Padula, Johannah O’Donnel, Chelsea O’Bryne, Reuben Negron, Joseph Murdach, David Moscati, Guillame Morellec, Zach Meyer, Brighton Metz, PJ McQuade, Jeff McMillian, Kelly McKernan, Kemi Mai, Dave MacDowell, Adam Lister, Nan Lawson, Conor Langton, Caia Koopman, Alex Kirzhner, Tim Jordan, Sarah Joncas, Paige Jiyoung Moon, Jeremy Hush, Primary Hughes, Christine Aria, Justin Hager, Gene Guynn, Sam Gilbey, Monica Garwood, Alex Garant, James Eads, Matt Dye, Emily Dumas, Max Dalton, Rhys Cooper, Michelle Coffee, Tracie Ching, Keith Carter, Sandi Calistro, Adam Caldwell, Joshua Budich, Robert Bowen, Eric Bonhomme, Cory Benhatzel, Oliver Barrett, Derek Ballard, Mia Araujo, Brianna Angelakis, Paul Ainsworth, Bungaloo, Epyon5

Maria Suarez Inclan

David Moscati

Guillaume Morellec

Emily Dumas

Max Dalton
Ken
Art Expert

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Eelus
The Dark Side of the Rainbow - a solo show by Eelus
Opening Night Reception: Thursday, June 30th (6-10PM)
On View: June 30th - July 23rd, 2016

Spoke Art is pleased to present 'The Darkside of the Rainbow', a solo exhibition by renowned UK based artist Eelus. Balancing the opposing forces of the humorous and macabre, vivid color and stark grey scale, Eelus’ work brings the beautiful and sometimes caustic realities of the world together.

Drawing inspiration from pop culture, film, design and art history, Eelus’ new paintings and prints continue to play and provoke. The artist sites the “dark and fantastic vision” of artists and writers such as Aubrey Beardsley and William Blake as contributors to his complex visual language. Akin to Beardsley, Eelus revels in a dark humor and detailed, textured figures. Eelus utilizes romantic art history references, classical themes and archetypes throughout the show including saints, gods and goddesses. Layered with these historical elements is a contemporary color palette influenced by digital aesthetics and graphic work.

Central stark figures, often melancholic women, are limned in a riotous display of joyous color further coupling the dissonant elements within the work. Many of the his figures are draped and entwined in networks of rainbow colored threads suggesting the entanglement and necessity of light and dark.

An early member of the street-art bastion Pictures on Walls, Eelus is a contemporary of Banksy, Shepard Fairey, Hush, and many more working in one color stencils. With a decade long career, Eelus has worked on numerous murals, extensive exhibitions and projects include Santa’s Ghetto, London, Wide Open Walls in Gambia, and Blackbook Gallery in the US.

Eelus’ highly anticipated solo-exhibition will feature limited-edition screen-prints and original paintings on canvas. As a master screen-printer, the artist creates richly layered imagery utilizing traditional printing techniques. In addition, the artist employs stencil work, hand painting and screen-printing techniques. This collection of work is a masterful example of Eelus’ ongoing visual sensibility and ability to find joy and optimism on 'The Darkside of the Rainbow.'

Please join us for 'The Darkside of the Rainbow,' opening Thursday, June 30th, with an opening night reception from 6pm-10pm. The exhibition will be on view through Saturday, July 23rd.

To request an advance collectors preview list, please email us at spokeartgallery at gmail
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Got a print from Spoke sent in a 6" tube that was rolled into a 2" cigar and thus has creases throughout. Was on heavy stock too, which begs the question who in the world is packaging these things..

Anyone have similar issues with them?
rll512
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:53 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:Got a print from Spoke sent in a 6" tube that was rolled into a 2" cigar and thus has creases throughout. Was on heavy stock too, which begs the question who in the world is packaging these things..

Same here. Just got "Noir" this week. Rolled fairly tight. Single crease thru the horizontal center. Gift for my daughter. It's a beautiful image. Major disappointment.
robertozanzi
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 pm

rll512 wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:Got a print from Spoke sent in a 6" tube that was rolled into a 2" cigar and thus has creases throughout. Was on heavy stock too, which begs the question who in the world is packaging these things..

Same here. Just got "Noir" this week. Rolled fairly tight. Single crease thru the horizontal center. Gift for my daughter. It's a beautiful image. Major disappointment.
My Noir was creased throughout as well. Gutted initially, but acted quickly was able to secure a replacement through the kind folks at Spoke. First time i've ever had an issue with their packaging.
rll512
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:22 am

robertozanzi wrote:
rll512 wrote:

My Noir was creased throughout as well. Gutted initially, but acted quickly was able to secure a replacement through the kind folks at Spoke. First time i've ever had an issue with their packaging.
I sent the Spoke folks an email this morning, explaining my situation and asking if I could return my creased Noir for an uncreased one. I see from the website that they still have some left. Hoping for a good outcome.
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:19 pm

I received Noir today and it was also creased. :(

And they don't have any more copies. :(
rll512
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 pm

dhokes wrote:I received Noir today and it was also creased. :(

And they don't have any more copies. :(
Yeah. Got the same information.

I was given the option to return print for full refund or keep print and get 20% refund. Gonna keep it and hope framer can work a miracle or two.

It's a gift for my daughter who I'm sure will be able to enjoy the print without her eye being drawn directly to creases every time she looks at it...unlike her old man.
KingMob
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:57 am

Also received my Noir creased exactly like a bunch of y'all are describing. Really not pleased with how Spoke handled this whole thing--whoever is shipping their prints is doing a terrible job with these smaller pieces.
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:21 am

KingMob wrote:Also received my Noir creased exactly like a bunch of y'all are describing. Really not pleased with how Spoke handled this whole thing--whoever is shipping their prints is doing a terrible job with these smaller pieces.
That's the irony... Spoke art is handling the "fullfillment" for spoke art. Ever since they branched out to be a shipping firm, in addition to a gallery, their shipping practices have gone downhill.
Ken
Art Expert

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:30 pm

dutchflowers wrote:
KingMob wrote:Also received my Noir creased exactly like a bunch of y'all are describing. Really not pleased with how Spoke handled this whole thing--whoever is shipping their prints is doing a terrible job with these smaller pieces.
That's the irony... Spoke art is handling the "fullfillment" for spoke art. Ever since they branched out to be a shipping firm, in addition to a gallery, their shipping practices have gone downhill.
To clarify, we had a new hire last month and her first fulfill was the Noir drop. Sad to see some get damaged, but it's part of the learning curve and luckily we only lost a handful of the edition. I'm confident that our new employee is now trained up to speed and to our rigorous standards.

I've already reached out to everyone who's made a complaint and have offered to hook them up in the future on any release they may miss - as always I think we go above and beyond in taking care of our customers (especially when we make a mistake!)
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 pm

dutchflowers wrote:
"Ever since they branched out to be a shipping firm"

I've packed prints for Ken before, and I helped hang the art at some of the early Spoke shows, even before Ken had his own gallery space. Hell I poured the wine at the first Bad Dads show (after helping hang it, I remember some moose head was a real PITA). And I think since day one Ken was packing his tubes himself. First by hand, all goddamn night long after working his 9-5, then via employees once he could, but to my knowledge anything Spoke always came from Spoke. So like, what the hell does "ever since they branched out to be a shipping firm" mean?

I don't think you're giving the guy credit for the 25-hour days he's been putting in for the past 7 years, nor for the few problems with the tens of thousands of pieces of art he's mailed. And if something's drymounted up, has anyone ever not been taken care of? Exactly.

Sorry for yelling. If anyone thinks it's cool I found pics from Bad Dads 2, Halloween 2010, if that makes it up to you: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mistersmi ... 7093765774
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.