RIP gigposters dot com?

General art-related discussion.
crosshair
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:37 pm

What GP offered, and what I can't see being replicated anywhere else, was a place where new/unknown artists could rise and be recognized solely on the quality of their work. It didn't matter who you knew, whether you were working for a band people liked or had even heard of, whether you were associated with a pop-cultural entity that had a fanbase...none of that mattered. If you made a poster, and it was good, it would be recognized on its merit, regardless of all those other things. Innumerable artists were lifted up that way. It was as close to meritocracy as anything I've seen, and that loss is tragic.

As for whether the community and forums were fun or good or welcoming to outsiders, I guess you just had to be there and be part of it or you really don't know. As an artist, I could find a thousand surface-level things on EB to be insulted by and butthurt about just doing the occasional drive-by to submit new releases. But that would be kind of silly because this isn't "my" community, it isn't "for" me, and I have nothing invested in active participation. So, my impressions are shallow and mean very little. The same is true of many non-artists' impressions of the GP community.
Last edited by crosshair on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:46 pm

I really only visited the classifieds. There are salty people in every forum, drymount 'em.
pj101ca wrote:Didn't Ryan_1969 and emek have a big battle over there a few years back?
I want to hear more about this. :lurk:
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
pewter14
EB Team

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:07 pm

One of my first posts on GP was about bacon, Jay Ryan said I was a very welcome addition.

Never posted a lot but always loved to read through the designer comments on each poster. Man ... this is a dark day.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
Muppelope
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Gigposters was the first site i found when I just got into this hobby (less than a year ago) and it introduced me to a lot of what would become my favorite artists. Though I never used the forums over there, for they seemed pretty dead, I loved the expansive database and links to artists' websites. I don't use it much anymore, but I'm sure I'll miss it.
haven
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:48 pm

My already slim odds of finding some old Daly's and Butcher's just dropped to about zero.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:18 pm

fredo wrote:Facts?
Thoughts?
You shitting me?
What happens to the DB over there? Can we merge it into the EB db and get a few more bucks to increase the reliability of EB? Or maybe just buy the domain and route gig poster beaners to a new "holding pen"? :D
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
FroDawg
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Codeblue wrote:Someone should migrate all of that data over here. Oh wait....
oops, yeah what he said...didn't mean to plagiarize Blueman's post...read bottom up...
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
fredo
Art God

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:13 pm

haven wrote:My already slim odds of finding some old Daly's and Butcher's just dropped to about zero.
Aside from the massive pile of compiled knowledge coming straight from the horsies' mouths, from the collector's side this^^ is the true bummer.
So many oddball, great rarities/obscurities to discover the existence of...and then spend the rest of your life stalking.
just a foil for me today, thanks
gordo55
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:32 pm

crosshair wrote:What GP offered, and what I can't see being replicated anywhere else, was a place where new/unknown artists could rise and be recognized solely on the quality of their work. It didn't matter who you knew, whether you were working for a band people liked or had even heard of, whether you were associated with a pop-cultural entity that had a fanbase...none of that mattered. If you made a poster, and it was good, it would be recognized on its merit, regardless of all those other things. Innumerable artists were lifted up that way. It was as close to meritocracy as anything I've seen, and that loss is tragic.

As for whether the community and forums were fun or good or welcoming to outsiders, I guess you just had to be there and be part of it or you really don't know. As an artist, I could find a thousand surface-level things on EB to be insulted by and butthurt about just doing the occasional drive-by to submit new releases. But that would be kind of silly because this isn't "my" community, it isn't "for" me, and I have nothing invested in active participation. So, my impressions are shallow and mean very little. The same is true of many non-artists' impressions of the GP community.
:clap: Well said, Dan. I can't tell you the number of artists I found by religiously checking out GP "New Arrivals". Many of them are in my collection as a result. Snarkiness is a sad fact of life in the internet age.
THC
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 pm

So deeply bummed about this. GP was my gateway drug over a decade ago and it was probably another year or two before I found EB. I was hunting for a poster and someone over there suggested I check over here - but I was warned about the 'entitled whiny bitches' or something along those lines... which, to be fair, is a fairly accurate representation much of the time. Haven't really used the forums over there in years but regularly checked the new arrivals. Such a shame.
this aggression will not stand, man.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Doesn't it feel good to not be a mod again?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 pm

That was a short-lived adventure.
this aggression will not stand, man.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:37 pm

I always felt welcomed there and enjoyed most of the banter. Bummer to see it go.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 pm

That's a shame. I never really had the occasion of visiting there, but any reduction in the community like this is a bummer. Makes the recent technical problems with EB that much more painful. Sorry to those who were heavily involved there. :(
So it goes...
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Un-stoked about this development.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".