What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Just finished these two;

and now just about done with this
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri May 13, 2016 2:43 pm

I like Puzo's stuff quite a bit. I think I read most of his novels. I remember enjoying the Sicilian quite a bit. It's been a while. How was the Winegardner book?
So it goes...
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri May 13, 2016 3:31 pm

mfaith wrote:I like Puzo's stuff quite a bit. I think I read most of his novels. I remember enjoying the Sicilian quite a bit. It's been a while. How was the Winegardner book?
It was really good. I recommend it man, it really read like a Puzo IMO.

There was a portion at the end on how Winegardner got the job for writing the book, quite interesting. Here's something i found on google; everal years after Puzo's 1999 death, Random House held a contest to select a potential author: entrants were required to write a synopsis of their proposed book along with a completed sample chapter. Winegardner was selected from several thousand entrants as the author of the new novel.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
dasher12
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Just finished The Fixer by Bernard Malamud.

Wow amazing book really pissed me off. Highly recommended.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri May 13, 2016 3:44 pm

dasher12 wrote:Just finished The Fixer by Bernard Malamud.

Sounds interesting. I don't typically read fiction (besides my previous post) but reading about this has me intrigued.
dasher12
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Check it out you won't be dissappointed. Once your hooked on it you can't stop. Or I couldn't read it in just a few days.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 13, 2016 7:52 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:Just finished these two;
I LOVE it. I re read it every few years.
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 pm

The Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama

Already finished Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution and The Great Disruption: Human Nature and the Reconstitution of Social Order.

I think FF is a remarkable non-fiction writer on multiple levels. He is quite possibly the best living sociopolitical analyst. I hope to
read every book he writes.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun May 15, 2016 5:13 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:
dasher12 wrote:Just finished The Fixer by Bernard Malamud.

Sounds interesting. I don't typically read fiction (besides my previous post) but reading about this has me intrigued.
Been wanting too also but put it off

just plowed through this Faust update

and started this last night

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon May 23, 2016 7:04 pm

bailed on the bolanos halfway and started this

shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 24, 2016 3:48 pm

After this one:
lapislazuli wrote:Image
Now this one

63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

The Fixer sounds legit.

Also, any recommendations on a series along the lines of Thrones? Not necessarily the same time period and all that, but just a great series of books with epic characters, multiple storylines, etc. I think I'm going to try and finally tackle the Dark Tower series. Been wanting to knock that out for a while.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Tue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:
mfaith wrote:
UrsusMorris wrote: Now i'm onto this one. Love the movie, and the book is addicting. Havin a hard time putting it down.
If you dig this, and haven't already read Crichton's Andromeda Strain, definitely give that a look. It was his first book (1969), and I think it has a lot stronger of a story. (I love Crichton's work though, so i may be a bit bias ;p)
#michaelbooks
I'm pretty sure i have that one, haven't read it yet though. I'll get on it at some point :P (i dig his work too)
Correction, i don't have that one haha. However, i am starting this one, which i've been meaning to read for the past few years.

mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
jpfondu
Art Expert

Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Just finished this:-
About to start this:-
john38103
Art Expert

Tue May 24, 2016 5:11 pm

63schoeffling wrote:Also, any recommendations on a series along the lines of Thrones? Not necessarily the same time period and all that, but just a great series of books with epic characters, multiple storylines, etc. I think I'm going to try and finally tackle the Dark Tower series. Been wanting to knock that out for a while.
I'd recommend The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie if you're up for another fantasy series. Great pacing. Three Books:

The Blade Itself
Before They are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings