Reclaimed Frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:07 am

Wait a sec- what's not important???

Just kidding. I'm humbled to have a srdzevon on my wall. Thanks, man.
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
DarthHippie
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:20 am

That looks amazing... great work. You probably didn't charge him enough.
emac
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 am

Just amazing, and perfect for that piece and where it was displayed. :)
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks guys! I'm proud of this one.
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote: Beautiful frame up. You have a good eye. Though I have to wonder if your theivery help bring that barn down... :lol:
Ha! It was well on it's way when I started taking from it. I don't think I made it much worse. The old man that owns it called me and told me he caught some kids playing around in it so he took his tractor and barely touched it with the bucket and the whole thing came down. Glad no one was in it when it did.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:41 am

alteridiom wrote:Quiet in here. Framed up a Santora original for my buddy's birthday. Here is my most recent thrift store transformation.
Blowing my mind again. I just wish I had the foresight to see the diamond in the rough that you do! That top one looks like I'd put it out on the curb on a Friday.
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 am

srdzevon wrote:This is more of a frame built from reclaimed wood than a reclaimed frame.... Wait. Forget it. Close enough.

Jon asked me a while back to build him a Nesting frame like mine, but when I found that blue wood I had a better idea.

The outside came from an old barn I've had the privilege of stealing from for the past few years. I think it fell the other day so hopefully salvaging will be less sketchy now. The inner frame came from an old house that was being torn down. It's nasty looking and full of old rusty nails. Just like I like it.
Srdzevon, just wow man. I am jealous as hell of those tight miters. I built a miter jig for my table saw and it's cuts are either perfect or horrible (either way, extremely inconsistent). Only thing I can think of is that the bottom runners are too loose and I'm getting wiggle on blade contact.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Goodwill has been a goldmine for me recently. Have picked up at least 3 frames with museum glass. I recently scored this HUGE frame with museum glass for $10:

image hosting more than 5mb

Took the frame apart filled some holes with wood filler. Sanded and painted. Reinforced the back with L brackets since the thing is so big. Didn't trust the V nails alone to do the job. Ordered some mattes from Hobby Lobby. Threw it all together this afternoon:

Very happy with how it turned out.
Small town pizza lawyer
srdzevon
Art Expert

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 pm

That's super sweet! Very cool man.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Halo97
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Very nice alter! I'm hitting mine up in the morning and keeping an open mind. How did you ID it as Museum Glass? Sticker on the back?
alteridiom
Art Expert

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Halo97 wrote:Very nice alter! I'm hitting mine up in the morning and keeping an open mind. How did you ID it as Museum Glass? Sticker on the back?
Can't really say how to identify other than it looks different. You can tell from the right angle. If you can go to Hobby Lobby and look at their comparison display that will give you an idea. Then, once you see it you will know it.

Oddly when I'm searching at Goodwill most of the cross-stitch stuff is behind museum glass. Weird.
Small town pizza lawyer
rghayati
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 01, 2015 9:45 pm

That Nesting is seriously beautiful.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Hey all, this is my first re-claimed frame up. I'll start with the framed I had purchased from a resale art supply and home shop for $3.75.

And with that, I began doing some repairs and touching up on it. The frame itself was a little lose and not all that stable. First thing I did was take it apart, sanded it down, then put it back together with wood glue and nails. Then I spray painted primer on it, then finally a couple of coats of Montana White (that is the brand name, not color) red black (is the actual color of the spray paint, confusing!). Not sure if it an attribute of this type of spray paint brand, but there is a slight specking texture to the paint (you can kinda see it in the pictures below). Really cool to feel and look at.

Bought glazing at Hobby Lobby using trusted %40 coupon, mat board from Aaron Brothers down the street using trusted %50 coupon, and some backing board I had laying around.

And here is what I ended up with.

Print :

Tools:
Wolfcraft 3415405 Right Angle Clamp
Logan Dual Point Driver Elite
Logan Compact Classic Mat Cutter

Materials:
Montana White Red Black spray paint
Primer spray paint
Hobby Lobby UV Glass cut by guy who did not look like he wanted to be there
Aaron Brothers probably not acid free but was told was acid free mat board
nails
wood glue
wood filler
time

Looking forward to the next project!
admhall
Art Expert

Mon May 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Alright my first attempt. I did have helped putting it together put the frame it's self was done by me

ImageStout Lotto "0-fer"

Send Bitcoin here

1EM43nMpSTyZA5hbsgLWTfPS8H5BmT8NiH
srdzevon
Art Expert

Mon May 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Nice job! Looks great!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
admhall
Art Expert

Mon May 09, 2016 7:11 pm

srdzevon wrote:Nice job! Looks great!