Skyfall 16 Kako

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

35mmpaul wrote:Or got too busy making Eric Clapton posters to finish this commission.

That couldn't be it. The Eric Clapton poster is just a rehash of a magazine image from years ago.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:44 am

Kramerica wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:Or got too busy making Eric Clapton posters to finish this commission.

That couldn't be it. The Eric Clapton poster is just a rehash of a magazine image from years ago.
Time is but a construct for the elites.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:30 pm

soam24 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
soam24 wrote:I'm sorry, but this is bad.
No its not. I have been so excited to gt this one. Likenesses are a little stylized. Layout is amazing. If you really think this is bad, you are too Mondo-jaded.

Mondo jaded? Not really. The illustrations aren't great. If the art is good, it's good. No one gives a fudge who puts it out. That's a drymounting stupid statement.

JR it's bad IMO. It looks incomplete to me.. Almost like the artists sketchbook slopped together that couldn't come to a complete design.
I just don't see it. And perhaps it is because I was on the commission and saw the progress and revisions and various layouts he did. He had 3 or 4 concepts, refined, tweaked. We looked at colors but thought it was better with one. I understand not liking it, but this was well thought out and a lot of time went into it. And I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I have no problem with not liking it. I just can't comprehend how someone looks at this and thinks that no work went into it.

Rambo, you and GBD are the type of people that have made this place a black hole of negativity. My life is immeasurably better now that I mostly use the site to track my collection and do not engage day to day on the boards.

There are places on the Internet that are not filled with hateful pieces of fudge. This place makes Reddit look like the model of Internet civility.
soam24
Art Freak

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Seeing the backend of the project def. gives you more appreciation to the final product as oppose to some one like myself, who is just judging it based off of nothing. And fwiw, you can only do so much with movie posters (in general) that hasn't already been done.

I see this (like every other james bond image) Image with poorly drawn images randomly placed around the barrel hole..

and I, like Rambo, have been almost disappointed with every commission I've been in and stopped joining them. Despite getting notifications that some from a year ago (or more) are still in the works.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Look if the commission is happy with it than that is groovy.

But its just looks unfinished.

I just don't see how color wouldn't have worked here.

The whole film is a beautiful swatch of blues battling fire oranges.

If you make the whole poster grey like this it looks like a refined sketch for the poster waiting to be colored.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm happy for you buddy. Congrats!

That statement implies your life was somehow worse because of a message board? Luls. If that's the case, I feel sorry for you.

And soam nailed it. Haven't really been happy with most of the commissions. You wait an eternity and the end result usually isn't very good.

35mmpaul wrote:Look if the commission is happy with it than that is groovy.

But its just looks unfinished.

I just don't see how color wouldn't have worked here.

The whole film is a beautiful swatch of blues battling fire oranges.

If you make the whole poster grey like this it looks like a refined sketch for the poster waiting to be colored.

Don't share your opinion about art on an art forum. You're part of the problem paul!!!!
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 pm

But they want confirmation that their poster is cool and that people will buy it :roll:
If the paper isn't worth anything than how is it art?!?
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 pm

soam24
Art Freak

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Nothing beats a gif response, ever.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm

mrsippycups wrote:
But they want confirmation that their poster is cool and that people will buy it :roll:
If the paper isn't worth anything than how is it art?!?
That's not it. Maybe for some people it is. But this was the other print I was really excited about getting other than Nico's Inception. And I would love it if people liked it, but I don't want them to like it cause I want to flip it. I love the print and I'm going to keep it. I'm sure others will sell. I just don't understand the comments that look at a final project and infer that clearly no work was put in in the production. We all took a hand in helping the print get done and I think people in the group are happy.

Regarding color, I don't know why, everything just didn't look right. Changed the feel of the print.

Rambo, not surrounding myself with a toxic environment that EB can be has made me generally a happier person. When you are surrounded by Internet keyboard vigilantes who make it their mission to turn everything into a personal shouting match, it's hard not to let that affect you. Removing myself from this environment and posting less was the right thing to do. And if others thrive here by feeding off or enjoying that negativity, those are the people to feel sorry for.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Can we see the coloring examples that were passed on?
Brian2013
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Think it would look 100% better with colors.
by Codeblue

But he LOVES the show Big Brother, and premixed margaritas in foil packs.
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:24 pm

don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

wat a drymountin baby
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Blues and oranges are obviously simple contrasting colors that tons of posters use, but I tend to agree with Paul and think even the simplest or most toned down versions of some matching colors from the film could do good things to the print. Or I could be entirely wrong :lol:
I will not fight you though!
Kakofonia
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Can we see the coloring examples that were passed on?
As you wish.

Thou the movie is indeed colorful, from the beginning my idea was to work with a monochromatic pallette. I would use more colors if I were doing any other 60s or 70s movie, with Connery or Moore. But Skyfall is dark, brutal, yet elegant. Sam Mendes took the character to a place anyone had the guts to take. That's how I see Bond in this movie, which btw is my favorite from the series. When the group asked for colored options, I introduced subtle differences in order to keep both my original concept and look for something to please their needs. In the end, everyone agreed to get back to the monochrome option. Does it need more color? Well, there will always be several opinions on the matter. I'm happy with the result, that's what I wanted to be printed. It also attended the groups need. According the the head of the group, everyone was satisfied. From then on, it is far from our control.

Regarding Clapton, I understand how you all feel. As previously said, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I read them all, good or bad. People tend to find bad opinions as the worst. I find them useful and I've been learning a lot since I begun working in this alternative poster business, both from EB and from people who gives me opportunities. And that's what it was. An opportunity. But before you say this and that, let me explain it.

I work mainly with advertising Illustration. It pays the bills, but it lacks... heart. So whenever I find a way to balance this matter I take it.

Not sure if you know but every year we have the Cannes Advertising Festival and every year all Mad Men try to score a Gold Lion to please their egos. From time to time they have some ideas that either the client finds too bold/risky, or too expensive. That was the case of the guitars. The Guitar Campaign was an incredible idea but too expensive for Brazilian Guitar Player magazine to invest (the editorial market here is spiraling down ready to crash and burn in any minute). Whenever this happens the agency asks for permission to go on with the campaign, even thou the client won't pay for it. And the agency really wanted to see this campaign printed. When they called me there was no way they could pay my fee. We negotiated. A lot. Thou knowing it would take too long to create all posters, knowing that I would have to grab part of my savings to go on with it, I accepted the crushingly low fee but with the condition that when the rights came back to me I could make prints and sell to at least cover my loss.

And it was a huge loss. I lost 50% of my savings during the making of these posters, which took 6 months to be finished. What they paid me barely paid one month of bills and I had no time to get many other jobs. But I was very happy with the result in the end, and thou it was printed in the worst paper ever folded inside a magazine, it was really worthy to see them out there. The prints didn't win anything at Cannes, but they received recognition from other annuals and competitions. Only problem... the supermarket doesn't accept medals in exchange of bacon. And everyone needs bacon when you have a huge hole in the bank account.

I waited a year and a half to get the rights back, I couldn't wait to print them in the right way. Meanwhile, back in 2013, I started making prints for Hero Complex Gallery. My relationship with them grew as Adam found ways to help me along the way. "We could do this, we could do that", there was always something in Adam's creative mind and generous heart. learned a lot from him. One day I showed him the prints and he loved them. I told him the whole story, that I was looking for someone to help me print them (no good printers here in Brazil) and he took a step forward and said he would help me. At first I thought he would only connect me to a good printer and send the final prints to me but he had other stuff planned. He believed in those posters and said he had an idea for them.

The Elite Editions were a total surprise to me. I really didn't expect it and to be honest it made my day when he told me about it. Not only I could have my wish of having them printed fulfilled but there was a possibility of having the money I lost back. We chose Clapton first, the idea was to print Page and Hendrix later. For us it was the best choice. My favorite is Page's poster, but graphically Clapton's is more complete and tells a great story. I prepared them for screenprinting, taking out the campaigns headline and exchanging to one of Clapton's lyrics that could fit with the storytelling and the rest is what you know.

Maybe you guys are right. Maybe it wasn't the right target or the right way to be released. It's indeed a tough crowd to please. But I believe Adam was bold in his initiative and generous with a friend. I tell you now that even selling all prints my losses will never be covered, but knowing that I have Adam and everyone and HCG there for me is more than enough.

Being Elite or not it really doesn't matter to me. Thou I have a long career, I still consider myself a newcomer here. And it's really hard to find your voice, to find a way to distinguish yourself from such artists as Taylor, Ansin and so many others. I fell I'm growing each commission I take. I feel I grow whenever I read what you guys write.

So to everyone here, my sincere thanks.
Kako
http://www.kakofonia.com
-------------------------------------
behance: Kakofonia
instagram: Kakofonia
facebook: Kakofonia
twitter: @kakofonicas
tumblr: kakofonia.tumblr.com
-------------------------------------