The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Can anyone tell me how long tubes from the UK to the US are averaging these days? I have a tube that was shipped to me 3+ weeks ago that has showed no signs of arriving in the USA. Just curious what others have been experiencing.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:26 pm

So, I just purchased something small on ebay from a UKer. I was charged 3 pounds for shipping then another 13 pounds by pitney bowes. Am I being double charged for shipping? What a drymounting scam. This doesnt cost $20 to ship a 6x8 inch handbill...
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:31 pm

dutchflowers wrote:Can anyone tell me how long tubes from the UK to the US are averaging these days?
I think that they are averaging around 25-28 inches.

Shipped via priority intl?
Last edited by ceevee on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:31 pm

zefarrett wrote:So, I just purchased something small on ebay from a UKer. I was charged 3 pounds for shipping then another 13 pounds by pitney bowes. Am I being double charged for shipping? What a drymounting scam. This doesnt cost $20 to ship a 6x8 inch handbill...

UK global shipping program. though, the additional charges i would have thought would be upfront and visible on the listing.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm

ceevee wrote:
dutchflowers wrote:Can anyone tell me how long tubes from the UK to the US are averaging these days?
I think that they are averaging around 25-28 inches.

Shipped via priority intl?
I walked.. no ran.. right into that one! Nice work.

It was shipped RoyalMail via International Tracked & Signed (whatever that means).

Does Royal Mail tracking usually show that a package has left the UK for it's destination? Mine still shows that it "has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas". Been that way for almost a month. :(
DickButt
Art Expert

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Which noob is gonna eventually use this service and ruin a print?
http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-shyp-part ... ss-hassle/
dasher12
Art Expert

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Seems like another drymounting tool didn't read the listing and now wants to return something as damaged even though the listing states it as such. Pretty much nothing I can do right?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:07 pm

dasher12 wrote:Seems like another drymounting tool didn't read the listing and now wants to return something as damaged even though the listing states it as such. Pretty much nothing I can do right?
bend over and clench
think of mother
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:19 am

Keep an eye on your March eBay invoice. Mine had a balance when it should not have. Apparently my eBay ap was stating that the auctions were all free to list, and then adding insertion fees afterwards. Called eBay and they took care of it.
soupysound
EB Team

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:45 am

no advice here.... but just got a laugh out of this description.

drymounted and "preserved with highest quality materials"

eBay 121912457869
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:02 am

Philpenn wrote:Keep an eye on your March eBay invoice. Mine had a balance when it should not have. Apparently my eBay ap was stating that the auctions were all free to list, and then adding insertion fees afterwards. Called eBay and they took care of it.
Did you receive this email?

From ebay
Recently, some sellers who relisted items using the Android eBay app were charged insertion and feature fees even though the app indicated that listing was free. We apologize for any confusion and want to make it right.

You will be getting a credit for the total value of these fees.

We want to make sure your eBay experience is the best it can be and thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,

The eBay Seller Team
I received the email but it looks like they never refunded me. So check your invoices!
guryter
Art Expert

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:53 pm

Some ebay advice for potential buyers;

Do not message a seller with comments on their possible profit margin, and comments about the retail value of the item. It gets you blocked.

I put things on ebay to sell to strangers. We aren't friends. If we listen to the same music, cool. Same movies, cool. That does not change the rarity/CMV of an item. If you want it, buy it.

Maybe this belongs in the peeve thread.

:pint:
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:44 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Philpenn wrote:Keep an eye on your March eBay invoice. Mine had a balance when it should not have. Apparently my eBay ap was stating that the auctions were all free to list, and then adding insertion fees afterwards. Called eBay and they took care of it.
Did you receive this email?

From ebay
Recently, some sellers who relisted items using the Android eBay app were charged insertion and feature fees even though the app indicated that listing was free. We apologize for any confusion and want to make it right.

You will be getting a credit for the total value of these fees.

We want to make sure your eBay experience is the best it can be and thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,

The eBay Seller Team
I received the email but it looks like they never refunded me. So check your invoices!
I never got that email, but I can see the credit on my invoice. I just called in when I saw the charge, knowing I didn't owe one.
mrsippycups
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:41 pm

guryter wrote:Some ebay advice for potential buyers;

Do not message a seller with comments on their possible profit margin, and comments about the retail value of the item. It gets you blocked.

I put things on ebay to sell to strangers. We aren't friends. If we listen to the same music, cool. Same movies, cool. That does not change the rarity/CMV of an item. If you want it, buy it.

Maybe this belongs in the peeve thread.

:pint:
I take the time to message anybody that took the time to write a decent message to me but I wish if people where going to tell me what my margins are they would account properly (and then call me a drymounting liar). I work on a perpetual accounting system and taxes, shipping, fees, materials, gas, tolls, ect do not magically disappear. :roll:
recycler wrote:You do not need poster nerds to tell you what you should like.
ISO: "Champagne Charlie" sheet music cover by Alfred Concanen
hax0n
Art Expert

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Found this on instagram :

$25 off $125+ purchases for the next 5 hours

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2016/0328/S ... ff125.html
electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works