Official James White / Signalnoise thread

General art-related discussion.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:54 am

bubbie wrote:Welcome back, dude!
Sorry to hear about the fudge that went down. Glad you are better though! Stay that way! :)
Thanks for the note. Much appreciated.

Aside from all that, been working on 2 big projects this year, both of which are under NDA's so I can't release anything until I get the green light. It's killing me.

Meantime, January will bring some new Signalnoise work which I'm very much looking forward to.
James White • Artist and Designer
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Sniffer85
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:31 am

Great to see you back, looking forward to seeing your new stuff next year.
punch
Art Expert

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Sniffer85 wrote:Great to see you back, looking forward to seeing your new stuff next year.
Werd, James always does something interesting,
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Sniffer85 wrote:Great to see you back, looking forward to seeing your new stuff next year.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
GonzMan
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:45 am

Sooooo. Any word on the final half shell print in the series. I completely forgot about this but I was going through my flat file and realized there was still one more. I'm not usually an impatient person but I think we're coming up or just past two years since we originally all payed for this.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm

dryerase
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Starkade Half-Shell 4 update would be nice- but seems like he's busy working on NeoWave stuff at the moment... here's the info from his email:

"NeoWave includes 3 new prints by James White, sized at 12" x 12". This will be a timed edition, so edition size of each print will be determined by the number sold during the time available.

This series is printed on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth 100% Cotton Rag, pH neutral, Acid Free art paper by the fine people at Ripe Digital, United Kingdom. All prints are hand-signed and numbered by James White, packed and shipped by the wonderful team at Whosit & Whatsit, Newcastle UK.

All three NeoWave prints will be available to pre-order as a set on Wednesday, March 2 until Friday, March 4 at 5pm EST. Each week following, prints will be available individually on a timed basis."

Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:36 am

GonzMan wrote:Sooooo. Any word on the final half shell print in the series. I completely forgot about this but I was going through my flat file and realized there was still one more. I'm not usually an impatient person but I think we're coming up or just past two years since we originally all payed for this.
Thanks for the note, bud. Mikey is almost done being designed, and I'm busy laying out the final baddie. Looking to send both to print this month to finish the series. Sorry about the big delay on those guys. I'll send out an email to those who got the subscription this week. :)
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

Codeblue wrote:I will say that I like the James White design for them. No idea why that dude doesn't get more "real" work.
(plucked this from the DaVinci's Dreams thread)

Thanks for the kind words, bud. I've been quiet for a while as I've been switching gears with my work... concentrating more on my own art, not pop culture based stuff. (See the post above.)

Not a very complicated story, really. I may have mentioned it before. In terms of the pop culture scene, I feel like I've been wading through the slush pile for years. Worked on a few cool things, which was fun, but felt like I was just spinning my wheels. Not really getting anywhere. I can't compete with bigger names/companies, I just don't have the audience to make it worth while.

StarKade will continue, because I just love making those little character prints. But my phone rarely rang for any kind of official poster. And when it did, I'm just not well known enough to sell a volume to make it worth while, monetarily. I don't have the reach. I'm not bitter or anything, it's just how the game goes. And I got tired of playing. :)

Tough pill to swallow, but I'm trying to be more real about this stuff, y'know?
Last edited by Signalnoise on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am

Epilogue: DRIVE was the only poster I managed to land with any attention. That was years ago, my first "drop", which turned into a fiasco real quick. :)
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08 am

eh too hard on yourself. Your work is great. You have a very unique style and I think with the right properties it would come out even more.
bert
Art Expert

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 am

Signalnoise wrote:Epilogue: DRIVE was the only poster I managed to land with any attention. That was years ago, my first "drop", which turned into a fiasco real quick. :)
I have the large version...great poster, one of my faves from this scene.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 am

acidburn wrote:eh too hard on yourself. Your work is great. You have a very unique style and I think with the right properties it would come out even more.
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

If a rad opportunity came up that's a good fit I'd certainly see it through, especially if it plays on the style I enjoy doing. No question.

Felt like I've been producing pop art for years to chase companies like Mondo to no avail... so I'm just going to do my own thing. Produce my own content.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
acidburn
Art Daddy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 am

Signalnoise wrote:
acidburn wrote:eh too hard on yourself. Your work is great. You have a very unique style and I think with the right properties it would come out even more.
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

If a rad opportunity came up that's a good fit I'd certainly see it through, especially if it plays on the style I enjoy doing. No question.

Felt like I've been producing pop art for years to chase companies like Mondo to no avail... so I'm just going to do my own thing. Produce my own content.
thats the issue though. You can't really chase anyone. Just do your own thing and build a market for yourself. 10 customers become 15 become 25 become 75 and so on. All it takes is one or two things to really connect. Your starkade series def connects and your portraits are awesome. Building a fanbase off that is a great start.

And wasn't your Thing print a big one too?
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:07 am

acidburn wrote:And wasn't your Thing print a big one too?
That wasn't official, just something I did for myself. Favourite horror movie and all. :)

I only sold a handful. So many official THING posters out there I was afraid of getting C&D by someone.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram