Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:43 pm

zombiejp wrote:So when are we going to start seeing some EB Top Ten lists. Really curious to hear what were some favorites.
Kick it off. :)
So it goes...
zombiejp
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Fair enough. I'll ponder it and post something tonight if no one beats me to it.
johndv
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:30 pm

dweebofthedead wrote:Jay Shaw's Top 10 Posters of 2015
http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/8286848 ... rs-of-2015
mfaith wrote:Rob's top ten poster picks for the year: http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/8292614 ... rs-of-2015
Come on, company guys--nothing outside of Mondo on these lists? Can't wait to see Mitch's. :wink:
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:55 pm

It's a Mondo exclusive list...
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:13 pm

They remember where they are...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:53 pm

:lol:
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Glad to see some Badlands love on those lists. Bring on more Malick.
weshallallbe
Art Expert

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:27 pm

allyouzombies wrote:Glad to see some Badlands love on those lists. Bring on more Malick.

Yes, please! In the Badlands announcement they said they were planning on doing a Malick series throughout 2015. I hope that hasn't been shelved.
zombiejp
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:53 am

Okay. Went through the archive for 2015 and here are my top 10, in not particular order. Some have explanations and others don't. I'm sure most of you will disagree with some or all of my picks and I'm okay with that. I'll try not to make this too long.

1. Halloween...Jason Edmiston - As blasphemous as it will sound, I'm not even a huge fan of this movie, but holy fudge in a hat this poster is glorious. From how menacing Michael Myers looks to the arc of the pull string on the light bulb. Nothing short of a masterpiece.
2. Alien...Tyler Stout - Yeah, I said it. drymount the police.
3. Back to the Future...Tom Whalen
4. Jurassic Park...Rich Kelly - My personal favorite from the JP show.
5. Crimson Peak...Daniel Danger - Still haven't seen the damn movie but sweet buttery Jesus this poster is gorgeous.
6. Rocketeer...Martin Ansin
7. Furiousa...Mike Mitchell - Probably my favorite of his portraits to date.
8. Batman TAS...Phantom City Creative - I can't pick just one. They're all gorgeous
9. Cooties...Jay Shaw & Jason Edmiston - I haven't seen this movie, I haven't seen a trailer, I have no clue what the movie is even about, but this poster reminds me of when my dad would leave me unattended in the video store and I would run to the horror movies and stare wide-eyed at all the VHS boxes. Such a rad poster.
10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens...Tyler Stout - Okay, so yeah this hasn't happened yet, but I'm just putting the positive thoughts out there that this will be announced by next Friday!

Who's next?
jayper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:13 am

zombiejp wrote: Who's next?
I'll take a swing. Assuming Mondo only, and prints only. I'm excluding all of the originals from the gallery shows.

10. Cooper - Gremlins 2
09. Jiang - Godzilla
08. Delort - Jaws
07. Phantom City Creative - Beware The Gray Ghost (Reg)
06. Taylor - Batman (Reg)
05. Ansin - Rockteer (Reg)
04. Danger - Crimson Peak (Reg)
03. Tong - Mulholland Drive (Var)
02. Stout - Goonies (Var)
01. Stan & Vince - Creature from the Black Lagoon (Reg)

Which reminds me, I need to go put up and ISO thread for that Mulholland variant. My only real MondoCon regret.
JasonBourne
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 am

Ok zombiejp & jayper Ill bite, inspired by your posts my top 10 from Mondo for 2015. Starting from my #10 to my #1 for the year (please excuse any spelling errors):

#10) Inclusion by Aaron Horkey - Another great print from Aaron, nothing else to say here.

#9) Dracula (reg) by Jonathon Burton - Superb feel to this poster. Something about it that draws you in.

#8) Ex Machina by Jock - This is a great print, IMO captures the film very well.

#7) Gladiator (variant) by Martin Ansin - Despite the dislike for this print (it would seem) I love this print. I think its a great take on the film by Ansin. The colours on the variant are perfect.

#6) Mad Max : Fury Road by Ken Taylor - The best Fury Road print out there in my book. Ken was on a tear this year, this piece was the icing on the cake. Great colours and execution by Ken on this one.

#5) The Ark (study) by Aaron Horkey - Maybe my Horkey bias is showing here but damn, just another amazing piece turned in by the greatness that is Aaron Horkey.

#4) Mulholland Drive (variant) by Kevin Tong - Now Im no fan of the movie... heck, not really a big Kevin Tong fan either but this is just one amazing poster. Every time I see it online it makes me stop to pause and look at it. Good art does that.

#3) Goonies by Tyler Stout - What can I say thats isn't already said about this print. You either love Stout's work or hate it. I love it!

#2) Crimson Peak (reg) by Daniel Danger - I still haven't seen the movie but drymount that is just a beautiful piece of art by Danger. The line-work and shadowing is insane.

#1) Halloween by Jason Edmiston - This is the stunner of the year from Mondo for me. Got me completely by surprise. I did not think the Taylor could be rivalled but this is in that territory. Im no hardcore fan of these movies but damn this poster is absolutely perfect from Jason. One of Jason's best works ever I think.
jayper
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:37 am

Good call on Inclusion! Personally, I really prefer the regular version of the print so I left it off my list.
JasonBourne
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:43 am

jayper wrote:Good call on Inclusion! Personally, I really prefer the regular version of the print so I left it off my list.
I have the variant. Ill be honest I did not like the jpg of it either but for some reason decided to take a chance and get it anyways. I was pleasantly surprised by it in hand and love it. But I get the appeal of the reg being more liked by most.

I made a small vid to show off the variant when I received it as I thought pictures really didn't do it justice...

EDIT: link to vid, embedding it didnt work...

https://youtu.be/tncdEThzmnY
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:27 am

In no particular order probably.

Stout- Goonies. zomg indeed.
Horkey- Inclusion. reg cuz meteors. red reg.
Taylor- Fury Road. madman beast mode Taylor. witness.
Edmiston- Halloween
PCC- Almost Got 'Im. where is it?
Tong- Mulholland Dr. better than the film?
Stan & Vince- Creature from the Black Lagoon. my favorite monster poster is of my least favorite monster. figure that.
Danger- Crimson Peak. if these were in order, this would be higher on the list.
Francavilla- Jurassic Park. ditto. also, not in the Mondotees.com 2015 archive?
Boneface- Fury Road. so nice I bought it twice.
Last edited by Diabolos80 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FloatingInOuttaSpace
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 am

10. The Breakfast Club - Matt Taylor
9. Cooties - Jay Shaw & Jason Edmiston
8. The Brood - Sam Wolfe Connelly
7. Ant-Man - Kevin Tong
6. The Goonies - Tyler Stout
5. Crimson Peak - Daniel Danger
4. Mad Max: Fury Road - Ken Taylor
3. Mulholland Drive - Sam Bosma
2. Halloween - Jason Edmiston