World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:07 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:I know he likes single malts, ... - he seems to like unique/weird stuff. ... - I don't need anything that's going to blow his mind
why not blow his mind?

See if you can find a bottle of Amrut Fusion.
Single Malt from India.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:18 pm

padelimike wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:I know he likes single malts, ... - he seems to like unique/weird stuff. ... - I don't need anything that's going to blow his mind
why not blow his mind?

See if you can find a bottle of Amrut Fusion.
Single Malt from India.
:lol:

Okay, yes, blowing his mind would be good, I guess what I meant is that I need something by Saturday, and thus was not looking for crazy difficult to find recommendations that I likely would not be able to locate.

I'll look into the one you recommended though, I myself am intrigued.
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 pm

electrachrome wrote:
smokeycat wrote:Image
I tried both last night at a tasting at Wollaston Wine & Spirits in Quincy.
the Groth Cask finished wasn't as fruity as I feared. It has a nice complexity without being overwhelmed by any one flavor. I was unimpressed by the Ocean. It didn't have much character profile at all. Hello and good bye in the same sip, but it did have some kick, if that's what your looking for. The buy of the night was Wollaston's own reserve cask of Jeffersons. It's very sweet bourbon that just left a smile on my face, probably the sweetest I've ever tasted. I consider it a bargain at $45 and the rep said it's aged for 17 years.

Damn a 17 year Whiskey at $45 a bottle is a steal. I would stock up on that.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:43 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Awesome, thank you. Is there anything worth picking up with decent availability at a higher price point? For commensurate gift giving purposes I was trying to be closer to $100 (but can always pick up two bottles of there isn't a decent return to spending a little bit more :D )
No Idea how easy or difficult this one is to find:
The Macallan Edition No. 1 Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
https://www.caskers.com/the-macallan-ed ... ch-whisky/

Johnnie Walker Platinum $100. my local place keeps this in stock.
https://www.caskers.com/johnnie-walker- ... ch-whisky/
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Danno1 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
the Groth Cask finished wasn't as fruity as I feared. It has a nice complexity without being overwhelmed by any one flavor. I was unimpressed by the Ocean. It didn't have much character profile at all. Hello and good bye in the same sip, but it did have some kick, if that's what your looking for. The buy of the night was Wollaston's own reserve cask of Jeffersons. It's very sweet bourbon that just left a smile on my face, probably the sweetest I've ever tasted. I consider it a bargain at $45 and the rep said it's aged for 17 years.

Aged 6 years and 9 months. Always be suspicious of an age statement like "very old"

https://www.caskers.com/jefferson-s-res ... n-whiskey/
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:Aged 6 years and 9 months.
I think he was referring to a different whiskey - the store's private selection, not the Groth.
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:32 pm

padelimike wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:Aged 6 years and 9 months.
I think he was referring to a different whiskey - the store's private selection, not the Groth.
Yep, big fan of private barrels as of late.
stay thirsty my friends
fredo
Art God

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Been on a bit of a Manhattan kick lately- meaning I've had two in the last week. Had a rye of-some-kind-based MH with a bic lighter-toasted orange peel the other day which kicked ass for some reason (oh yeah, it was dry and spicy as hell- that's why), and a BuffTrace last which was like pounding a triple shot of Mrs Buttersworth in a fancy glass and only kicked my ass... and then quickly turned into tequila shots + a bunch of beer and wandering around aimlessly downtown (thanks, open bar at the company xmas party!).

Soooooo...yeah. Go, whiskey!
just a foil for me today, thanks
smokeycat
Art Expert

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Danno1 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:

^^^^ both of those were what i settled for after failing trying to find the Jack select proof. neither are very palatable in my opinion compared to the Jack single barrel select. but i would say the Groth is not quite as harsh. i agree with you %100 electrachrome. hello and goooodbye! first sip(shot) of the Ocean almost made me wretch a bit.
i have had an excellent batch of Jefferson in the past and remember it being better than what i bought. different batch, or perhaps i was trying something similar to what you found Chrome! :cheers:
Last edited by smokeycat on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
time
Art Expert

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:00 am

Sometimes unicorns do exist at retail (well, lottery)...and then you open them and enjoy them! Happy Festivus!
Edit: (The pictures are of the same bottle. First unopened...then opened to enjoy!)
Last edited by time on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:58 am

time wrote:Sometimes unicorns do exist at retail
Want a bottle of PVW 15 for your second bottle of that?
byc101
Art Expert

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:34 am

time
Art Expert

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:24 pm

padelimike wrote:
time wrote:Sometimes unicorns do exist at retail
Want a bottle of PVW 15 for your second bottle of that?
Second bottle? I wish. That's one bottle. First picture is unopened, second is once opened to enjoy. VWFRR is the most elusive of the Pappy family I believe (and frankly, the best of them also). Cheers!
smokeycat
Art Expert

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Byc101, made me and my wife chuckle. I have a friend that will play it all the time when he sees it. :lol:
Started to get the Ocean out of my selection by swallowing it. Yes, not a fan, but does pack a punch for not such a high proof. :pint:
ImageImageImage
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 pm

electrachrome wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Awesome, thank you. Is there anything worth picking up with decent availability at a higher price point? For commensurate gift giving purposes I was trying to be closer to $100 (but can always pick up two bottles of there isn't a decent return to spending a little bit more :D )
No Idea how easy or difficult this one is to find:
The Macallan Edition No. 1 Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
https://www.caskers.com/the-macallan-ed ... ch-whisky/

Johnnie Walker Platinum $100. my local place keeps this in stock.
https://www.caskers.com/johnnie-walker- ... ch-whisky/

:cheers:

Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

(That platinum was ridiculously good)