Olly Moss gets his own thread

General art-related discussion.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 am

Half Blood Prince is the best of the bunch for me - though all are great :)
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 am

starkdesign wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Poa is my fave by far
Book, Book Cover, or Movie? :wink:

Its up there for me on the movie spectrum, was such a leap from the first two movies, loved it. But the book, ehh...

and love Olly's concept on it. Really loving HBP too, that scene is one of the BEST in the series
Cover
omgkitty
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:07 am

These have been on Audible for weeks now and I had no idea :?
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:11 am

omgkitty wrote:These have been on Audible for weeks now and I had no idea :?
KITTY?!?!?!?

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
blingaling
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:14 am

Oh geez Olly... you really did justice to one of my all time favorite series. Bravo!
ImageImageImageImage
omgkitty
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:22 am

starkdesign wrote:
omgkitty wrote:These have been on Audible for weeks now and I had no idea :?
KITTY?!?!?!?

I didn't look at the covers really because I was trying to figure out why the hell Audible US only had the Jim Dale versions and not the Stephen Fry versions.
Blakamiss
Art Enthusiast

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:17 am

Nobody knows what's wrong with themselves and everybody else can see it right away.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:24 am

Olly, did you have complete freedom on this for all the elements of the cover, or just the illustration? Wondering in particular about the type at the bottom... and is there anything on the back cover? I know a big part of the OG covers is the illustration goes completely around the book, some nice spoiler clues are usually on the back covers of those.
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 am

Those are just fantastic, and looks like it was an absolute dream to tackle. Congrats sir.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Olly
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 am

I mean, I didn't have complete complete freedom. The typeface was set because it has to be translated into every language under the sun. And everything had to be approved and signed off, but actually not much was changed overall. Usually big jobs like this can be quite restrictive but all the notes were super reasonable and overall the project was a real pleasure. I only had three weeks to finish the whole thing!
Superfro33
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:33 am

I think my first exposure to Olly's work was with his retro video game book covers a billion moons ago. These latest works offer some great symmetry for someone who's enjoyed watching his career evolve since then. A huge congrats on getting to tackle a dream project! :clap:
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:34 am

Olly wrote:I mean, I didn't have complete complete freedom. The typeface was set because it has to be translated into every language under the sun. And everything had to be approved and signed off, but actually not much was changed overall. Usually big jobs like this can be quite restrictive but all the notes were super reasonable and overall the project was a real pleasure. I only had three weeks to finish the whole thing!
3 weeks... holy fudge that is crazy. But at least you aren't busy and had plenty of time to focus just on these. :wink:

Well done dude, can't wait to see them in printed form (hopefully)! Can't ever have too many copies of this series.
Olly
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:36 am

starkdesign wrote:
Olly wrote:I mean, I didn't have complete complete freedom. The typeface was set because it has to be translated into every language under the sun. And everything had to be approved and signed off, but actually not much was changed overall. Usually big jobs like this can be quite restrictive but all the notes were super reasonable and overall the project was a real pleasure. I only had three weeks to finish the whole thing!
3 weeks... holy fudge that is crazy. But at least you aren't busy and had plenty of time to focus just on these. :wink:

Well done dude, can't wait to see them in printed form (hopefully)! Can't ever have too many copies of this series.
Yeah realistically I only had 2 days a week + evenings and weekends because I was in the Campo Santo SF studio that month.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:40 am

But let's be honest, you definitely had at least one of those ideas sitting in the back of your mind just WAITING for a day like this to come maybe... ;)
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
wizdom
Art Expert

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:46 am

Those really are amazing! The deathly hollows illustration idea was previously done for a magazine if I'm not mistaken. Hope these are getting a hardcover release soon. What an amazing project to work on.

:notworthy: