Was Banksy Mocking All Artists Featured in ETTGS?

General art-related discussion.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 pm

All this Mr. Andre fudge got me thinking. If you rewatch ETTGS, does it appear that Banksy is sort of mocking all the other "street artists" featured as well as the scene itself? Specifically, Invader and Shep, leading up to their piece de la resistance, MBW?

I think so.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.
spagucci1
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:06 pm

I think he is mocking the whole scene itself, including himself. If you think about it, its gone from people tagging and writting graff to a nearly billion dollar industry.
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm

not mocking, i would say opening up the conversation of perverting every form of art and making money off it.
MaxCollinsII
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm

spagucci1 wrote:I think he is mocking the whole scene itself, including himself. If you think about it, its gone from people tagging and writting graff to a nearly billion dollar industry.
The Original Pure Hemp® Rolling Papers :ziggi: made in Spain, unlike some of our competitors
PartPat: "All of Eb is one big mondo joke really."
bryndavies
Art Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 am

At first I was going to agree, in the sense that he doesn't take himself too seriously, and thus mocks the scene, himself and other artists. But, his statements and content in his art are pretty serious, so he must have strong thoughts/beliefs on these matters, and to share them in art form, how could he not take that seriously? So maybe while he was mocking a Frenchman that plasters tiles from a video game related to a vintage retail clothing salesman, a southern boy who made a whole industry off a copied WWF wrestler/figure, and MBW, the biggest of all jokes, I don't think he was mocking himself. But yeah, man, art. Who the drymount knows? I think the real joke is on us, honestly.
ImageT.K.C.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:20 am

bryndavies wrote:At first I was going to agree, in the sense that he doesn't take himself too seriously, and thus mocks the scene, himself and other artists. But, his statements and content in his art are pretty serious, so he must have strong thoughts/beliefs on these matters, and to share them in art form, how could he not take that seriously? So maybe while he was mocking a Frenchman that plasters tiles from a video game related to a vintage retail clothing salesman, a southern boy who made a whole industry off a copied WWF wrestler/figure, and MBW, the biggest of all jokes, I don't think he was mocking himself. But yeah, man, art. Who the drymount knows? I think the real joke is on us, honestly.
In ETTGS, all Banksy moments come off as heroic. Like, look at these idiots I hustled in LA, or look at how dangerous my Disneyland installation was. As for the others in the film, not so much. Like you said, Shep and his Kinko's Andre, or Invader and his little video game tiles. The same can be said about the other artists featured. I agree, he was mocking the demise of an art movement and perhaps he feels a bit guilty about that. Or not.

Like Dismaland, he wasn't just mocking the mouse, he was mocking the scene. (Hirst's pieces being the highlight of said mockery.)

I love ETTGS. I get older, but it keeps stayin' the same age. :wink:
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:35 am

Before I stumbled in here, I of course heard of the film. But I never watched it. I knew of "that graffiti dude" but never spurred to learn more, I was like meh. Then the title of his flick was all hip satirical economy bullshit and I thought funny cuz I still gotta pay to watch the drymounting thing. And whether this guy gets the irony or not, and gets the futility or not, doesn't change the theme here. Buy my fudge while I tell you not to buy fudge. drymount that.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 am

FOODRAP wrote:not mocking, i would say opening up the conversation of perverting every form of art and making money off it.
"Opening the conversation" is art-world speak for one of two things: "I was afraid to take a stance" or "I have no stance." It's what shitty artists, gallerists, and curators say when there's no real meaning to a piece. Banksy, a frequently overt stance-taker, isn't the type to spend time and money on a movie that doesn't have something to say.

I'm not sure "gallerists" is a word.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:44 am

Diabolos80 wrote:Before I stumbled in here, I of course heard of the film. But I never watched it. I knew of "that graffiti dude" but never spurred to learn more, I was like meh. Then the title of his flick was all hip satirical economy bullshit and I thought funny cuz I still gotta pay to watch the drymounting thing. And whether this guy gets the irony or not, and gets the futility or not, doesn't change the theme here. Buy my fudge while I tell you not to buy fudge. drymount that.

:clap:
Kyriakos
New User

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:32 am

It's funny how we all see absolute truth in Banksy supposed thoughts
Honnestly if Banksy was honestly mocking Invader, Shepard, Zevs, Andre and all the others , It would change my thoughts on Banksy more than on the whole street art scene.
By the way, this film helped these guys market value. Being in the film gave them a quality label "approved by Banksy" and Banksy keeps pretty good relationships with a lot of these guys.
So the joke is on us... but i don't care we are more