World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:48 am

Danno1 wrote: I see a few people on the secondary market selling this for $700.
and it's only a .375

easy pass
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 am

My haul from a recent holiday to Japan. :D

I have tried the Single Malt Yoichi so far and it is pretty good. Saving the Yamazaki 18YO for a special occasion.

The sign below was a common sight in any store in Japan selling the local whisky.
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
Crash607
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 pm

That's awesome ducky! Is anyone from America planning on going to Japan soon?!
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:58 pm

padelimike wrote:
Danno1 wrote: I see a few people on the secondary market selling this for $700.
and it's only a .375

easy pass

I am getting a good laugh at some of these so called secondary market sites. What I don't really understand with this particular bottle is that people are claiming it's a 20 year old Stitzel Weller product. Well I thought Heaven Hill had nothing to do with them at all and that Diageo was marketing what was left from SW as the Orphan Barrel stuff.
stay thirsty my friends
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Danno1 wrote:I am getting a good laugh at some of these so called secondary market sites. What I don't really understand with this particular bottle is that people are claiming it's a 20 year old Stitzel Weller product. Well I thought Heaven Hill had nothing to do with them at all and that Diageo was marketing what was left from SW as the Orphan Barrel stuff.
from what I read, it's the "real" orphan barrel and is literally the cream of the crop. might be just hype ...maybe a grain of thruth, whatever.
If I can find one at retail, I'll snap it up. for me it's akin to finding a rare poster, the hunt is half the fun (or more).
time
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:01 pm

electrachrome wrote:
Danno1 wrote:I am getting a good laugh at some of these so called secondary market sites. What I don't really understand with this particular bottle is that people are claiming it's a 20 year old Stitzel Weller product. Well I thought Heaven Hill had nothing to do with them at all and that Diageo was marketing what was left from SW as the Orphan Barrel stuff.
from what I read, it's the "real" orphan barrel and is literally the cream of the crop. might be just hype ...maybe a grain of thruth, whatever.
If I can find one at retail, I'll snap it up. for me it's akin to finding a rare poster, the hunt is half the fun (or more).
I was offered the option to buy this at regular retail (before the reviews) but seemed so high for a 1/2 bottle that I passed. I guess if I was in it to flip then it might have been a good risk but at that price for that size I didn't find it justified. There is a lot of truly excellent bourbon out there (but less each day) for significantly less.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:32 pm

duckyhoward wrote:My haul from a recent holiday to Japan. :D

I have tried the Single Malt Yoichi so far and it is pretty good. Saving the Yamazaki 18YO for a special occasion.

The sign below was a common sight in any store in Japan selling the local whisky.
Nice haul! My co-worker just came back from Japan and did not even score the Yamazaki 12. I did find a couple of bottles of the Yamazaki 12 and Yamazaki 18 in Brooklyn though. I just can't cough up 300 usd on the Yamazaki 18 but now have added 2 bottles of the 12 year old to my collection.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:41 pm

^^ Nice. I saw your post on the previous page.
I have never tried the 12 (and couldn't find it in Japan) - but apparently it is better than the 18 based on the price/value for money equation. You should definitely enjoy the 12's. I am saving the 18 for a special occasion and on the hunt for a 12 locally here in Australia.

I found the 18 in the Takashimaya Department Store in Kyoto and had to pick it up. It was about $275AUD/$200USD. I picked the others up at either the Nikka Distillery in Yoichi or the Suntory Yamazaki distillery in Osaka Prefecture. These others are nothing as fancy as the 18 (or the 12) but should be nice.
"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Still my favorites:
jmagee87
Art Expert

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 pm

My local place decided to do raffle for their "rare" whisky this year!!! Hooray!!

(Goes to check date and time) oh...its December 17 at 7pm...when I'll be watching Star Wars. Nooooooooooooooooo
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Normally don't stray far from the bourby but I'm looking to increase the Scotch corner of my cabinet... This set is available for $150. Yay/Nay ?
carljwiii
Art Expert

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:24 pm

bahns47 wrote:Normally don't stray far from the bourby but I'm looking to increase the Scotch corner of my cabinet... This set is available for $150. Yay/Nay ?
Not bad. Id persoally prefer a macallan 12 and 15.
Quality > quantity but you cant go wrong.

Or macallan 12, any balvenie and perhaps a lagavulin to add a peaty one for diversity.
I am a Rhinoceros and my skin is 2 feet thick
bahns47
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:00 pm

carljwiii wrote:
bahns47 wrote:Normally don't stray far from the bourby but I'm looking to increase the Scotch corner of my cabinet... This set is available for $150. Yay/Nay ?

Or macallan 12, any balvenie and perhaps a lagavulin to add a peaty one for diversity.
Cheers, thanks for the thoughts. Macallan 12 is really the only decent bottle of Scotch (aside from the Blue Label 200ml that sits unopened) I've had before so I imagine the 15 is very nice.
Bahhmerr
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm

bahns47 wrote:
carljwiii wrote:

Cheers, thanks for the thoughts. Macallan 12 is really the only decent bottle of Scotch (aside from the Blue Label 200ml that sits unopened) I've had before so I imagine the 15 is very nice.
I prefer the Macallan 10 over the 12, never had the 15....but the 18 and 25 top the list :drool:
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Nay, and I'm a fan of The Glenlivet (15YO especially)

It's three 200ml bottles, no?

edit: Looks like they also offer a set with full-size bottles,
If that's what this is, it's not too terrible.