All things Spotlight Displays

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:32 pm

kaysirtap wrote:I have a few of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me regrading these frames.

Firstly, one thing I want to frame is a jigsaw puzzle, and its thickness is approximately 3/32 of an inch. Will these frames accommodate such a thickness?

Secondly, in regards to posters, I am worried about the edges of the frame clamping down to hold everything in place. I have a similar type of frame that I purchased from Amazon (NOT a Spotlight Display), and what I've noticed is that if I take the print and overlay out and close the edge down, the part that would normally make contact with the overlay closes down on an area that is deeper than what the edges of the print/overlay would rest on. The result is a slight indentation around the edges of the print, where the edges of the frame are clamping down - particularly noticeable in the corners. See picture below for an illustration of what I'm talking about - the print/overlay would rest on the aluminum part, while the frame clamps down on the white part.

The following picture is NOT of a Spotlight Display frame:
IMG_14081.jpg
So my question regarding that is, with no overlays or prints in these Spotlight Display frames, do the edges come down on the aluminum that the edges of the overlay rests on, or does it also try to clamp down on an area deeper than that aluminum edge?

What concerns me is this: I have seen the video on the website that shows the storage of multiple prints in a single frame, and when the marks on the overlay are discussed it is mentioned that there are no marks on the print. However, a screen capture from the video at 1:44 seems to show a mark in the corner of the print when the light hits it just right, and that seems to line up with the mark on the overlay:
Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 2.13.32 PM copy.jpg
Lastly, these white frames... are they a gloss white, matte white or something in between?

Thanks!
Hello Kaysirtap,

The Wide Border Frame can accommodate up to .250" thickness. The standard border comes standard to accommodate .125" and can be made to handle .500" so you will be fine.

The frame border comes down on the inside lip of the frame. No way does it ever come down on the deep inner open part of the frame. It will Not cause any bending or crimping of your posters.

As far as the photo of the video you put up. That is just a blemish on the print from mishandling, not from the frame. I put my word as a Marine on that! I would never mislead anyone!!!

The white is flat/matte

Hope this helps!!!
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:48 pm

And please anyone else chime in as well.
CaptNemo
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Took all of 120 seconds to swap this in. Happy Halloween.
IMG_20151031_180613.jpg
mcnail wrote: "We are just trying to make and sell posters. Cheers"
tstout wrote: "in general though, you're not missing out.... on life. its all around you. in the wind. in the woods. we're sharing it together. i'm right behind you."
SpotlightDisplays
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:00 pm

CaptNemo wrote:Took all of 120 seconds to swap this in. Happy Halloween.
IMG_20151031_180613.jpg
Wow, that is nice!!!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:01 pm

I've seen zero signs of any effect on any of the posters I've had in the Spotlight Display frames since I bought them several months ago, nothing from the overlays or from the borders of the frame. No signs of them crimping or clamping down on prints at all.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:I've seen zero signs of any effect on any of the posters I've had in the Spotlight Display frames since I bought them several months ago, nothing from the overlays or from the borders of the frame. No signs of them crimping or clamping down on prints at all.
Same here. They are pretty amazing.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:48 pm

63schoeffling wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:I've seen zero signs of any effect on any of the posters I've had in the Spotlight Display frames since I bought them several months ago, nothing from the overlays or from the borders of the frame. No signs of them crimping or clamping down on prints at all.
Same here. They are pretty amazing.
x3.
b3b0p

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:28 am

I'm so confused. This can't be real life.

For under $100, I can buy 24x36 frame with UV protection? Please tell me I'm not mistaken? I'm used to feeling cheap and only paying about $200 or so per frame at the local shops.

The swapping thing is just icing. Forget the cake part. What am I missing? What is the downside? What am I sacrificing? I'll take 50.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 am

b3b0p wrote:I'm so confused. This can't be real life.

For under $100, I can buy 24x36 frame with UV protection? Please tell me I'm not mistaken? I'm used to feeling cheap and only paying about $200 or so per frame at the local shops.

The swapping thing is just icing. Forget the cake part. What am I missing? What is the downside? What am I sacrificing? I'll take 50.
I don't think you're missing anything, I've been nothing but satisfied with them.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 am

A good friend of mine swears by them. Might snag one to frame Adrift in.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:56 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:

I don't think you're missing anything, I've been nothing but satisfied with them.
Nothing. They are the most amazing things ever. The only reason I don't have like 10 of them is because I need to figure out how to set up the print layouts in my house.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 am

63schoeffling wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:

Nothing. They are the most amazing things ever. The only reason I don't have like 10 of them is because I need to figure out how to set up the print layouts in my house.
Same here. I have a 24x36 on my wall and an 18x24 waiting to be hung. I'm planning on getting a few more 18x24 and possibly a couple 19x25, but I need to figure out the layout first. I love these things.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:19 am

This is the first time I've noticed this thread. Does anyone know if these frames are available in the UK?
this aggression will not stand, man.
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:20 am

Also this poster is magnificent:
wonkabars7 wrote:Image
this aggression will not stand, man.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 am

According to the website, it's US only, but it may be worth PMing or emailing them to see if you can work something out.