World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
fredo
Art God

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Knappogue Castle is my fave Irish.
just a foil for me today, thanks
treweman
Art Expert

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Danno1 wrote:
treweman wrote:Based on the discussion here, I ordered the WR double oaked through my local shop. Just got word that it is in, so off to pick it up after work. Hope it's as good as advertised.
I love the stuff, just is extremely smooth with me. As of now it is the best bourbon I have ever had. The first time I had it was at the tour at WR. They give little 1 oz samples, as I finished it I told my wife "damn that is some great bourbon right there." They have a double-double oaked for sale at the distillery. Regular double oaked aged for an additional year. $50 for a 375 bottle. I may get some next time we head down that way.
Got a chance to find a quiet moment and relax with a little of the WR double oaked. No ice, no water. And even after reading what Danno1 and a few others posted in this thread, I was not prepared for how smooth this was. There was simply no burn. The smell is powerful, the taste is big, but it went down smooth as a new baby's bottom when swallowed. I have to admit that at first the sensation was a bit eerie. But there it is. I'm going to build a fire tonight, put on a movie, fill a tumbler, and seriously drink for an hour or two and see if it has staying power.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:02 am

I have 3 bottles on the way that I am stoked to get: 2014 and 2015 Handys, and a 2014 Stagg. So stoked. I'll post pics when they arrive.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:09 am

cargoflipper wrote:I contacted the Distillery.. Inquired regarding the NAS discontinuation. This was their official response:
Dear Cargo :
Thanks for your inquiry.
Below is a response. I hope this addresses your query.
With the introduction of The Macallan 1824 Series in 2012 we withdrew 12 Year Old Sherry Oak, 15 Year Old Fine Oak and up to 18 Year Old Sherry Oak from around 50 markets globally. The Macallan continues with an age range of 18 Year Old and above in these markets. We do still have finite quantities of 12 and 15 year old in a handful of markets.
There are many ways to create a great Macallan. It could be based on an age profile, or on differing strength profiles or on character informed by the colour drawn into the maturing whisky in the cask. No one way is "right" or "better", but all are backed by the spirit of innovation and diversity characteristic of The Macallan, and by 188 years' experience in creating outstanding single malt whisky.
We have a very successful range of whiskies with age statements and they continue to sit at the heart of our business. This no age statement range allows us greater flexibility with our stock to ensure we can continue to meet the every-increasing demand for The Macallan in all the markets we now service. Going forward, both ranges will be produced and there is no plan to remove all Macallan with an age statement.
Btw, they just announced they are discontinuing age statements in the us over the next three years. No more 10, 12, 15, or 18 anymore. Only 21 and above age statement wise
Crash607
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:20 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
Btw, they just announced they are discontinuing age statements in the us over the next three years. No more 10, 12, 15, or 18 anymore. Only 21 and above age statement wise

wheres the sense in that?
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Crash607 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:

wheres the sense in that?
Running out of aged stock.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Any of you folks know anything about these Woodford Reserve prints from a couple years back? I'm looking for a friend.

maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
bmd1191
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 am

Need some help from some brothers that are experienced in the World of Whiskey. So I recently have gotten into scotch and am looking for a recommendation for something special for my birthday coming up. Currently I have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 and I think that is pretty good. Only other scotch i've had was Macallan 12 and that was good too but I prefer the Glenlivet actually. But I want to get a bottle of something a little better for my birthday.

Ultimately I am looking for single malt that is ultra smooth with not a lot of peat. Would like to keep it under $80 (I live in NJ, I know prices vary). I was thinking about getting Balvenie 12 Doublewood or 12 Year Single Barrel, Yamazaki 12, Macallan Fine wood 15 year. Can anyone recommend me any of these to go with, or if you have another bottle in mind let me know. Any help is appreciated.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 am

bmd1191 wrote:Need some help from some brothers that are experienced in the World of Whiskey. So I recently have gotten into scotch and am looking for a recommendation for something special for my birthday coming up. Currently I have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 and I think that is pretty good. Only other scotch i've had was Macallan 12 and that was good too but I prefer the Glenlivet actually. But I want to get a bottle of something a little better for my birthday.

Ultimately I am looking for single malt that is ultra smooth with not a lot of peat. Would like to keep it under $80 (I live in NJ, I know prices vary). I was thinking about getting Balvenie 12 Doublewood or 12 Year Single Barrel, Yamazaki 12, Macallan Fine wood 15 year. Can anyone recommend me any of these to go with, or if you have another bottle in mind let me know. Any help is appreciated.
Do you like sherried whiskies or bourbon whiskies more? Mac 12 is the perfect example of a sherried whisky.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:06 am

bmd1191 wrote: Ultimately I am looking for single malt that is ultra smooth with not a lot of peat. Would like to keep it under $80 ... Macallan Fine wood 15
If you can find this under $80 a bottle, please buy me a case of 6.
I'll come right over from Pa. to pay you and pick it up.
Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking it's going to be 100+
I would recommend The Glenlivet French Oak 15 Year.
Should be around $50-$60.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:09 am

jrsheppa wrote:Do you like sherried whiskies or bourbon whiskies more? Mac 12 is the perfect example of a sherried whisky.
Well i'm not really a fan of bourbon cause I find it too sweet. So I guess i'll go with sherried whiskeys? I'm not really sure.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am

padelimike wrote:
bmd1191 wrote: Ultimately I am looking for single malt that is ultra smooth with not a lot of peat. Would like to keep it under $80 ... Macallan Fine wood 15
If you can find this under $80 a bottle, please buy me a case of 6.
I'll come right over from Pa. to pay you and pick it up.
Thanks a lot.

I'm thinking it's going to be 100+
I would recommend The Glenlivet French Oak 15 Year.
Should be around $50-$60.
My liquor store has it for $92 I think, and I have a $10 off coupon (hopefully it didn't expire).
IowaClint
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 am

Bagged a couple of Japanese Whiskey's over the weekend.
1)Suntory Hibiki Japanese Harmony
2)Suntory Hakushu 12yr
3)Nikka 15yr single.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:02 am

bmd1191 wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:Do you like sherried whiskies or bourbon whiskies more? Mac 12 is the perfect example of a sherried whisky.
Well i'm not really a fan of bourbon cause I find it too sweet. So I guess i'll go with sherried whiskeys? I'm not really sure.
Sherried whiskies will leave you with notes of dried fruit, coffee and chocolate, and sometimes even more exotic notes. Bourbon aged or finished whisky will have more wood influence, vanilla, and some sweetness. How sweet they are varies from whisky to whisky.

I am not a Glenlivet fan for the most part but I like Mac 12. Based off what you said you like, I would go with Glendronach 15 revival if you can find it. I also think a number of edradours are in that range as well if you can find them. Also glenlivet's nadurra might be a good choice.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

jrsheppa wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:
Sherried whiskies will leave you with notes of dried fruit, coffee and chocolate, and sometimes even more exotic notes. Bourbon aged or finished whisky will have more wood influence, vanilla, and some sweetness. How sweet they are varies from whisky to whisky.

I am not a Glenlivet fan for the most part but I like Mac 12. Based off what you said you like, I would go with Glendronach 15 revival if you can find it. I also think a number of edradours are in that range as well if you can find them. Also glenlivet's nadurra might be a good choice.
Yeah I think sherried whiskeys are more my style based on that description. And I will look into the ones you mentioned, thanks.