Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jeter0204
Art Expert

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:Did anyone upgrade to iOS 8.2 yet? There is a nice new apple watch propaganda app that can't be deleted.
Can't be as bad as the shitty U2 album
ImageImageImage
danieldanger wrote: "...IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOUT. WHY WASNT IT STOUT? MY GOD PEOPLE, WE COULD BE HOLDING STOUT POSTERS RIGHT NOW."
rob00craig
New User

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:49 am

Apple iPhone 6S Plus is a new kind of a smartphone nut this time apple will lose the market.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
fnord
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Apple used two different chip manufacturers for the new A9 processor and they don't appear to be equal in performance or battery life.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2990485/ ... ne-6s.html
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 pm

fnord wrote:Apple used two different chip manufacturers for the new A9 processor and they don't appear to be equal in performance or battery life.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2990485/ ... ne-6s.html
The only way to find out is to download a free app called "Lirum Device Info Lite." You don't need the $2.99 version. Open the app and you will see basic device info on the main page. Look for where it says "Model." If your model is N66MAP or N71MAP, you’ve got a TSMC chip. If it says N66AP and N71AP, you drew the short straw and got a Samsung chip.
It seems the suggested Lirum app got pulled, I don't see it in the app store. I found the System Status Pro app ($2.99 - the lite version didn't show chipset) verifies I have a N66mAP TSMC chip.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
fnord
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Yeah apparently apple or Lirium pulled it. I saw someone mention that there's a website to check it but I didn't save the link.

E
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:14 pm

There's a third party app that you can download http://demo.hiraku.tw/CPUIdentifier/
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
profbobo
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:19 pm

People getting all worked up over this processor thing. I think it's kinda ridiculous; of course they need to use different suppliers, and even processors in a single family line from one producer are going to have variance.
ImageImage
fnord
Art Expert

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Obviously you're not a golfer.

There will always be slight errors and differences in chips on the same line but those are expected and controlled for. What happened here was two different cpu's were produced, off the same initial design, and their variance in performance and energy usage are noticeably different. If they had to use different suppliers then they should have done quality control to ensure they were comparable. You may not necessarily notice it in day to day usage, and I think that's what apple banked on, but the Samsung users definitely got the short end of the stick.

E
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:08 am

jeter0204 wrote:
MJGallicchio wrote:Did anyone upgrade to iOS 8.2 yet? There is a nice new apple watch propaganda app that can't be deleted.
Can't be as bad as the shitty U2 album

Oh you kids. :hanging:
profbobo
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:45 am

fnord wrote:Obviously you're not a golfer.

There will always be slight errors and differences in chips on the same line but those are expected and controlled for. What happened here was two different cpu's were produced, off the same initial design, and their variance in performance and energy usage are noticeably different. If they had to use different suppliers then they should have done quality control to ensure they were comparable. You may not necessarily notice it in day to day usage, and I think that's what apple banked on, but the Samsung users definitely got the short end of the stick.
I think what I'm reading (obviously I only have one phone, and it happens to be the non-samsung chip) is that there's a variance between the two, but comparing benchmarks to real world performance hasn't ever been important to me. I'm not a golfer, but I think it's probably important (though unknown to us) whether apple changed their tolerances based on post-production models or if the chips were made to a spec that was pre-defined and this is acceptable for them. We won't know, but I feel like real world performance isn't really as impacted as benchmarks (and never will be). Same way I thought all the LN cooled pcs when I was in college were dumb, I also don't think a benchmark that is constantly running over-air youtube videos is a particularly useful standard to uphold.

Edit: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/08/sam ... a9-videos/
ImageImage
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 am

What do people use to play their iPhone through the car? Some sort of RF frequency modulator? A blue tooth adaptor?
I have a 2006 Ford Escape and am looking into options for doing this. Would love to hear the pros and cons of what other people are using
ontheDL
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Install a head unit with Bluetooth. Or if you wanna go super cheap, just get one that has an aux or USB input.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:37 pm

ontheDL wrote:Install a head unit with Bluetooth. Or if you wanna go super cheap, just get one that has an aux or USB input.
I'm looking to spend $10-$25 so no new head unit. My (factory) head unit is a CD player with no Aux Jack. I saw an FM transmitter today that plugged into a cig lighter and had an aux cable that went to the phone. Then you tune your FM station to where the transmitter displays to play music. I'm assuming this wouldn't use my cell data but maybe I'm wrong there. It be nice if I could plug my phone into the connected transmitter to charge it on the road as well

I just figured some people here might have used their phone to play music through their car audio without having the latest audio or wifi stereo connect
ontheDL
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:03 pm

That'll work but it's also going to sound like fudge. Plus the stations you need to tune to usually have horrible reception.

A new stereo can be had for less than $50. Even cheaper used.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

ontheDL wrote:That'll work but it's also going to sound like fudge. Plus the stations you need to tune to usually have horrible reception.

A new stereo can be had for less than $50. Even cheaper used.
I'm not sure I'd trust buying a stereo off craigslist....and I'm thinking a "$50" stereo with CD and Bluetooth might not sound that good. My car is worth $1000 or so and I'm just not going to dump much money into it to get something and then pay for installation, etc. I'd rather do CDs and the crappy classic rock radio

In high school I had a $3000 stereo in a $900 car though. Funny fudge!