Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
toobs
Art Expert

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:12 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:I love that OG is releasing a print every week. Some prints that appeal to some won't appeal to others. I've passed on some releases that others were stoked about.

I know it's easy for people to slip into the "I only listen to the first three Metallica albums" mentality, but an artist has to stay true to himself and follow his vision.

Whether you're in the market for cheap prints, older prints, HPMs, fine art/OGs, clothing, or just like to admire his murals - he's involved with them all, to varying degrees.

There's only so much Shep to go around - he cannot give 100% to everything.

It's a great time to be a fan, honestly.
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
quiksilvr22
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Jack Healey is the former director of Amnesty International and has always been an outspoken human rights activist and supporter. He’s the one that encouraged me to create a poster of Aung San Suu Kyi to bring awareness to the human rights cause in Burma. Jack was friends with Joe Strummer and is friends with Antonino D’Ambrosio whom I worked with on the film “Let Fury Have the Hour.” He’s a great man with a lifetime record of fighting oppression and I’m happy to support him help get his memoir completed. Please support Jack and contribute to his campaign. Thanks for caring. - Shepard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28 ... nav_search
ImageImage
dsanacore
Art Expert

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:10 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:I love that OG is releasing a print every week. Some prints that appeal to some won't appeal to others. I've passed on some releases that others were stoked about.

I know it's easy for people to slip into the "I only listen to the first three Metallica albums" mentality, but an artist has to stay true to himself and follow his vision.

Whether you're in the market for cheap prints, older prints, HPMs, fine art/OGs, clothing, or just like to admire his murals - he's involved with them all, to varying degrees.

I totally get that and mostly agree. It's just my personal preference that I don't prefer an artist who works on such a wide array of projects that they begin to spread themselves thin. Honestly, I think I'm probably in the minority. Most of Shep's fans love that there are weekly affordable prints, HPMs, paintings, murals and more all on a regular basis.
Image Image
ipath2003
Art Expert

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:15 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
bryndavies wrote:Me thinks ipath is one of the few people in here being honest with himself. :)
Only because he sides with how you feel about Fairey now....I'm surprised though considering you probably made some decent cash off Fairey prints. I mean honestly not long ago you were all up on Sheps peen, what happened?

Ipath can say all he wants, but I bet you he joins the next Halloween Costume contest or some other bullshit here soon. Trust me, he's not over it or done with him.

This year, weak. I've bought 2 prints I think, maybe 3 but I'm still definitely on the bandwagon...

Yes sir I will join the next Halloween Costume contest!!!!!! And any other bullshit!!!!! Dont be hatin. Im deff not over / done with shep. Just very selective when buy any new prints. Always looking for oldies. Im just honest in my opinion with these new prints. If they had minor changes done to them I would be all over them. JMO
CoA
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:27 pm

dsanacore wrote:I suppose my gripe with Shepard is that I know he's capable of good work but doesn't care enough to ensure that all of his releases actually are good. It's frustrating for me to see an artist prioritize quantity over quality but that's just my personal preference. There are obviously lots of fans stoked to see a release from Shep every week so I'm glad that they're happy but I would rather see Shepard release less pieces and but put more effort into each one.
This. Feels like a little more attention to detail on most of them, and pruning a few of the weaker pieces would substantially improve overall quality.
mrB7LACK
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:04 pm

digging the new print :D
christoffergaddini
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:50 pm

Nicely put bulkhead. I've always felt that Shepard Fairey has stayed the truest to the the whole proletariat concept behind street art. Unlike almost all his counterparts, he still makes posters that everyone can afford. Sure, he churning them out at an incredible pace, but I'd say that much more in line with his ideology then lower more expensive print runs (which he obviously caters to as well).
Interested in the entertainment industry? Check out http://dlreporter.com
dsanacore
Art Expert

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm

dropdoctor wrote:
dsanacore wrote:

I totally get that and mostly agree. It's just my personal preference that I don't prefer an artist who works on such a wide array of projects that they begin to spread themselves thin. Honestly, I think I'm probably in the minority. Most of Shep's fans love that there are weekly affordable prints, HPMs, paintings, murals and more all on a regular basis.
Repetition works. The medium is the message :D
Yup! That's why I said I'm probably in the minority :P
Image Image
toobs
Art Expert

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Speakin of chitty Fairey prints just scored this todayImage
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Nice score. 10 points for gryffindor.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Greatplainsman
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:51 pm

:drool:
omyweenis
Art Expert

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:54 pm

That's awesome!!! :drool:
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Now that's pretty badass. Congrats toobs
So it goes...
xangelx
Art Expert

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:38 pm

That is tight. :notworthy:
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Is that print embossed? Also, if you need a Marcos Stencil print to go with it, I'm always up for trading. ;)