Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:40 am

I think what is happening is that all the staple Mondo artist had their peak years right when this alternative movie poster scene was new. It was exciting and different. But its been a couple of years and I imagine that those top profile artists want to move on and do other things (make games, fine art, join the military).

And I have seen this switch in myself as well. I only got into this hobby in 2013, where most of the prints I bought in 2013 and early 2014 were primarily from Mondo. There has been a huge switch since though, and I have been buying more fine art and originals from artists I was introduced by Mondo and you fine folks.

So I imagine that is what is happening. These guys are just moving on, out to try and do other things. It might be that you may never see another print from these guys through Mondo ever again. But that's the cool thing about Mondo, they are always looking for new amazing artists to add to their lineup. That's what I look forward to. :pint:

EDIT: I wrote this semi longish post and just realized everyone before me is pretty much saying the same thing. Just adding to that thought I suppose!
Last edited by slunkey on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:41 am

Also, there are other places releasing art that are not Mondo. Strange concept I know.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mattkardish
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am

slunkey wrote:I think what is happening is that all the staple Mondo artist had their peak years right when this alternative movie poster scene was new. It was exciting and different. But its been a couple of years and I imagine that those top profile artists want to move on and do other things (make games, fine art, join the military).

And I have seen this switch in myself as well. I only got into this hobby in 2013, where most of the prints I bought in 2013 and early 2014 were primarily from Mondo. There has been a huge switch since though, and I have been buying more fine art and originals from artists I was introduced by Mondo and you fine folks.

So I imagine that is what is happening. These guys are just moving on, out to try and do other things. It might be that you may never see another print from these guys through Mondo ever again. But that's the cool thing about Mondo, they are always looking for new amazing artists to add to their lineup. That's what I look forward to. :pint:
you and everyone else who moved to Austin so they could be close to their beloved gallery...
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am

Come on guys. Any real flipper worth their salt knows there were only ever 2-3 mondo prints that were really worth a good flip in any given year. It's only the noobs and amateurs that have ever relied on Mondo for a good flip.
Last edited by Kramerica on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jmagee87
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:43 am

Kramerica wrote:Come on guys. Any real flipper worth heir salt knows there were only ever 2-3 mondo prints that were really worth a good flip in any given year. It's only the noobs and amateurs that have ever relied on Mondo for a good flip.
Yup
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Superfro33
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:46 am

Kramerica wrote:Any real flipper worth heir salt....
I've been talking about salty flippers. We're on the same page. :wink:
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:52 am

jmagee87 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Come on guys. Any real flipper worth heir salt knows there were only ever 2-3 mondo prints that were really worth a good flip in any given year. It's only the noobs and amateurs that have ever relied on Mondo for a good flip.
Yup
double yep.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am

Superfro33 wrote:
Kramerica wrote:Any real flipper worth heir salt....
I've been talking about salty flippers. We're on the same page. :wink:
Superfro33
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Somebody get one of the food trucks for MondoCon to sell something called a Salty Flipper. kthanx
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Kramerica wrote:Come on guys. Any real flipper worth their salt knows there were only ever 2-3 mondo prints that were really worth a good flip in any given year. It's only the noobs and amateurs that have ever relied on Mondo for a good flip.
This is interesting. What do you consider a "good" flip? Double or Triple? Just glancing through Art of the Year, here's what I see as good (and I'm sure I'm either missing some or being too generous):

Horkey Fellowship (especially at first)
Durieux The Birds
Moss The Jungle Book
Stout Guardians of the Galaxy
Durieux Back to the Future
Durieux Back to the Future II

Horkey TWBB
Ansin Taxi Driver
Durieux Jaws
Stout Shaun of the Dead
Horkey Two Towers (especially at first)
Stout Django

Taylor Halloween
Taylor 20k Leagues
Horkey Return of the King
Stout Res Dogs
Moss LoTR
Durieux Iron Giant
Stout Avengers
Ortiz Goonies
PCC Back to the Future

Looks like it's maybe a little more than 2-3.

I'm bored at work.
I Heart Haddonfield.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 pm

yawn.gif
So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 pm

If flipability is how you measure art, wether its company, artist, or print, then I feel sorry that is how you experience this stuff.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 pm

35mmpaul wrote:If flipability is how you measure art, wether its company, artist, or print, then I feel sorry that is how you experience this stuff.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Meanwhile, SDCC is coming up fast and not like any of the stuff coming out from it could lead to any hype/frothing at the mouth or anything...
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mattkardish
Art Expert

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:39 pm

mfaith wrote:yawn.gif
lol if I had a nickel for every time I saw you post this...