FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 pm

pre sale links have been sent out for Dragon
bmerel
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:18 pm

FAMPart wrote:pre sale links have been sent out for Dragon

Trying to figure out what's what here...

There's 2 hand embellished editions...both are different sizes?
There's 2 regular editions...one is signed and one is not?

Edit:

edition of 30 ea in 2 sizes. All are signed/numbered. Of the 30, 10 are hand embellished of each edition. Got it!
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

bmerel wrote:
FAMPart wrote:pre sale links have been sent out for Dragon

Trying to figure out what's what here...

There's 2 hand embellished editions...both are different sizes?
There's 2 regular editions...one is signed and one is not?

Edit:

edition of 30 ea in 2 sizes. All are signed/numbered. Of the 30, 10 are hand embellished of each edition. Got it!
Cool, was happy to help if I saw this sooner. Glad you got it.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:47 pm

fuuuuuck me the A2 HE is $540 shipped to me... I really want to support Olivier but this is making it difficult

whinge over
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 pm

wottagunn wrote:fuuuuuck me the A2 HE is $540 shipped to me... I really want to support Olivier but this is making it difficult

whinge over
that doesn't sounds right. Where is it shipping to? The most it should cost is about $400 shipped if you choose priority. Should be about $375 via first class. These prices are to Australia which is about the farthest distance from NY.

Feel free to PM me.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Dragon by DZO is now live in the shop - http://www.fampart.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1827
blingaling
Art Expert

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:38 am

Took a little longer than expected to scrape up the funds, but I finally got in on Dragon.

It's worth noting that at no time was I afraid the edition I wanted would be sold out before I got to it. Is that worth discussing?
ImageImageImageImage
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:31 pm

blingaling wrote:Took a little longer than expected to scrape up the funds, but I finally got in on Dragon.

It's worth noting that at no time was I afraid the edition I wanted would be sold out before I got to it. Is that worth discussing?
Maybe a little. It’s weird, if Olivier was part of Vacuum for instance (and he easily could be given his talent) then this release would be long gone.
I don’t understand it. His attention to detail and subject matter is a perfect fit and appeals to me personally, so much, but I would imagine it would appeal to many others as well. He’s not flippable (at the moment) so maybe that’s why his work is not selling out.
The Dragon ink for instance looks like its been done by a drymounting computer. It’s perfect.
True Detective was his first likeness project and he nailed it. Some other artist do that fudge all the time and never get it right.

Maybe its got something to do with him being French? Just doesn’t have a huge presence in the US. But there’s enough people on EB that would know about him, enough to at least sell out the editions of 10 and 30.

Personally im happy with it, because it allows me to collect his work with ease, but for DZO’s sake I hope his work sells better in the future. He’s very kind, professional and extremely talented and deserves everything for his art. He told me a few months ago that he had to regretfully sell two originals to help him progress with some other work, and that’s a bit sad.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm

wottagunn wrote:
blingaling wrote:Took a little longer than expected to scrape up the funds, but I finally got in on Dragon.

Maybe a little. It’s weird, if Olivier was part of Vacuum for instance (and he easily could be given his talent) then this release would be long gone.
I don’t understand it. His attention to detail and subject matter is a perfect fit and appeals to me personally, so much, but I would imagine it would appeal to many others as well. He’s not flippable (at the moment) so maybe that’s why his work is not selling out.
The Dragon ink for instance looks like its been done by a drymounting computer. It’s perfect.
True Detective was his first likeness project and he nailed it. Some other artist do that fudge all the time and never get it right.

Maybe its got something to do with him being French? Just doesn’t have a huge presence in the US. But there’s enough people on EB that would know about him, enough to at least sell out the editions of 10 and 30.

Personally im happy with it, because it allows me to collect his work with ease, but for DZO’s sake I hope his work sells better in the future. He’s very kind, professional and extremely talented and deserves everything for his art. He told me a few months ago that he had to regretfully sell two originals to help him progress with some other work, and that’s a bit sad.
yeah, it is a bit weird especially since there were so many people eager to get some of the other pieces. Oh man, that's truly unfortunate about the OGs. I agree with the Vacuum comment though. It's a bigger brand with a bigger following, we're small right now but I do think there is the cost aspect that throws some off. I think it'll take time for him to sell out but once he hits, it'll be game over. Hoping he's like a Horkey or Prefab or something, also trying to get him to do a screen print which I think will help. The guy's got talent so it's only a matter of time. People love publicizing his work which is awesome.
alison03
Art Expert

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 pm

I wonder if it's also a mix of subject. He and I are working on an Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus project, pricing $70 for a reg and $120 for a hand embellished and before I started a group I was putting out feelers in various places but not a lot of response there either. I think he's so incredibly talented so generally speaking, I'm really surprised.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 pm

well for me, that's got a lot to do with the movie (its rubbish)
bluestskies
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 pm

damn i love that movie! granted i was trippin when I first saw it... :lol:
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 pm

I think its worth talking about. His work is really amazing and his attention to detail is phenomenal! There are so many images on his Behance site that I would love to purchase as prints, really amazing library of work.

I would say its the prices, but for the standard $70 edition, the price is on point. I would totally pay that. But I think when I'm presented with something special, like a hand embellished version, I would want that version or none at all. And maybe a lot of people feel that way. But those prices for the hand embellished version are a bit high for me right now. At least, that is how it wound up for me.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 pm

slunkey wrote: I would say its the prices, but for the standard $70 edition, the price is on point. I would totally pay that. But I think when I'm presented with something special, like a hand embellished version, I would want that version or none at all. And maybe a lot of people feel that way. But those prices for the hand embellished version are a bit high for me right now. At least, that is how it wound up for me.
FWIW, pretty much my feeling as well.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
blingaling
Art Expert

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 am

wottagunn wrote: Maybe a little. It’s weird, if Olivier was part of Vacuum for instance (and he easily could be given his talent) then this release would be long gone.
Vacvvm level exposure would certainly make a huge difference. But just from his IG he's already got a horde of fans, thousands of likes per post...
The work itself is astounding. The care that goes into the HPM editions is evident and well worth the price. It would make me really sad to think the flip factor is whats keeping his sales down. Even the MAE stuff is still available :cry:
slunkey wrote:I think its worth talking about. His work is really amazing and his attention to detail is phenomenal! There are so many images on his Behance site that I would love to purchase as prints, really amazing library of work.
I would say its the prices, but for the standard $70 edition, the price is on point. I would totally pay that. But I think when I'm presented with something special, like a hand embellished version, I would want that version or none at all. And maybe a lot of people feel that way. But those prices for the hand embellished version are a bit high for me right now. At least, that is how it wound up for me.
Did you pass on the standard for that reason? No judgement, just trying to understand.

I've been thinking about it a lot. It's so hard to gauge why people don't buy something. Giclee printing turns a lot of people off. Not sure that the detail could be captured correctly with screenprinting, but letterpress seems like a good match. Printing technique counts for a lot in this game, it may be a factor. It might take some prodding to get him to expand this way though as he's said multiple times that he's most comfortable working with giclee.
There are so many variations in this particular edition (as there were with Pan) it may be a turn off for some. The minor difference between A2 and A3 sizes makes me wonder if it is necessary to split the run. The editioning looks confusing at first glance, 30 of these, 10 of those, how many of these total? Which size? Is it multiple runs of the same print or 1 run with multiple variant? We know the answers, but that doesn't mean everyone does.
Not numbering the standard makes little sense to me, the effort to do so is small and it adds a personal touch that means a lot to many collectors.
And the unfortunate hype/flip factor. 'nuff said there.
Olivier deserves larger success. His art is top notch, and he's humble and friendly.
ImageImageImageImage