Andrew Ghrist - News and Rumors Thread

General art-related discussion.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 am

UrsusMorris wrote:So what's the website this drops on? Mever done anything PangeaSeed related..
http://shop.pangeaseed.org/
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Thanks! How are drops, pretty hectic? Cart hoarding?
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 pm

ClaytonHopper wrote:
Bralumian wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Yep. He gets (justified) criticism over being pretty Horkey-esque, but he's also relatively very new to all this and still developing a voice. He's also absolutely growing and changing, and having a Horkey/Holt baseline isn't exactly bad to start.
the problem with him is that, while obviously talented, he's yet to develop any real style of his own - you never look at any of his work and go, 'oh that's a ghrist' - it's always something along the lines of 'the waves are holt-ish and the sky is horkey-esque' et al. looking at the new piece it's clearly very technically proficient but lacks any real originality as he's just managed to suture together two different artists' styles into one piece but without creating something definitively 'his' in the process. he's also not that young - i think he's 26-27 or thereabouts - so you can't just chalk it up to him being a kid that is emulating his heroes and doesn't know any better.
And Horkey and Holt were the first of their kind?? You talk like Aaron Horkey invented that style of art when bashing Andrew. :roll: This is no different than people trashing Jordan Monsell for paper cuts because apparently Olly Moss invented paper cuts and only he can do it. Or people trashing Josh Budich being a weak copy cat of Tyler Stout because they have similar "floating heads" approach. Or even Traci Ching tracing or even trying to minic Laurent Durieux. Or Banksy stealing images or Dface being a Roy Lichtenstein rip off. or MBW ripping off everyone.
every modern artist has antecedents - horkey has clearly been influenced by durer, moebius, wrightson and pushead - but nobody would ever/has ever confused his work for theirs. that's not the case with ghrist as his fandom manifests itself as outright plagiarism (the clouds, the lettering are you kidding me?) so i'm not willing to cut him any slack in this regard. it's clear you are up on this kid's jock and again, he's not without talent, he just needs to find his own voice before i'm going to give him much in the way of credit.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:47 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:Thanks! How are drops, pretty hectic? Cart hoarding?
I haven't really gone for many of them but they seem to be pretty laid back. I wouldn't imagine this will sell out in seconds. If you are there when it drops, I would guess you are safe.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Kramerica wrote:
UrsusMorris wrote:Thanks! How are drops, pretty hectic? Cart hoarding?
I haven't really gone for many of them but they seem to be pretty laid back. I wouldn't imagine this will sell out in seconds. If you are there when it drops, I would guess you are safe.
Word. Right after i asked, i realized what time that drops for us central folk. And i won't be able to try it. But got a PB, ao all is well in the world.

Go Briny Deep!
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
PangeaSeed3
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:34 pm

PangeaSeed and special guest artist Andrew Ghrist are pleased to announce the sixth official print release of our 2015 print suite "Tales from the Deep: Stories, Myths & Monsters" - a fine art print suite to help save our seas.

Artist statement:

The Scar by China Miéville is a novel which has been a part of my life for many years, and has travelled as my companion through since adolescence. I've attempted to depict the Avanc, a colossal marine creature described in The Scar. It is a beast unbridled by our conventional imagination, miles long and strong enough to tow an entire pirate city. The Avanc is shown here after being summoned from a foreign place, its sublime nature derived from other worlds appears as ephemeral bubbles on the ocean floor. The otherworldly nature of Miéville's novels is parallel to our understanding of the ocean. With every discovery breaking the surface, he pushes our expectations and continuously reminds us that the ocean is mysterious, unending, and larger than ourselves.

Artist: Andrew Ghrist

Title: "The Celestial Hippocampus"

Printmaker: Andrew Ghrist

Edition size: 140 signed / numbered

Print details: Five color screen print with gold metallic inks on French Old Green paper

Dimensions: 18”x 24” inch

Price: $65 USD - plus shipping (please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery)

Prints will be available for purchase at 12pm PST Wednesday, June 17, 2015 via http://shop.pangeaseed.org/

For more information on how you can help save our seas, please visit PangeaSeed.org

DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 pm

+1 :pint:
ImageImageImage
cotis
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:05 pm

+1, my first Ghrist!
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:07 pm

My first time seeing Ghrist's work. Too cool to pass up.
kyle
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:54 pm

very impressive ! :clap:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 pm

+1 thanks to a PB! Very excited about this. This print here surpasses everything here did for the Jungle Book series, by a mile!
andrew190877
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 pm

UrsusMorris wrote:+1 thanks to a PB! Very excited about this. This print here surpasses everything here did for the Jungle Book series, by a mile!
It is killer but I still Love the Elephant piece from the Jungle Book. Still my favorite from him.

UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:25 pm

That one is really badass as well!
bmerel
Art Expert

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

James and The Giant Peach for Galerie F's Dahl show...

WIP. Print is happening as well. Enjoy!!

jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

:clap:
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.