World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
john38103
Art Expert

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 pm

It's weird that 50k bottle is in a duty free shop.
fredo
Art God

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Wealthy people do tend to travel a lot... and maybe need last second gifts?
just a foil for me today, thanks
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:49 am

jrsheppa wrote:For anyone interested, I started a whiskey sample (or full bottles) swap thread

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 2&t=155261
Sorry guys no swap, mods shut it down.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 am

anyone have an opinion on Ardbeg Perpetuum ?
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:35 am

padelimike wrote:anyone have an opinion on Ardbeg Perpetuum ?
Have a bottle waiting for me at home, haven't tried it yet. I hear its on the lighter side, like 10. Havent heard anything bad, but also not glowing reviews.

On a related note, found 2 bottles of Galileo in a small store in Alabama and bought them immediately. Very good, more like Oogie and Ardbog. Very complex but more fruity than those two. I get a lot of cherry in the nose and mouth.

Also, got Laphroaig's 2013 Cairdeas Port Wood. Amazing. Easily the best Laphraoig I have ever had.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 am

Pa People - we now have Knappogue Castle Single Barrel Irish Whiskey exclusive barrel in the online store!

update: email announcement hit an hour ago, and 100 bottles have sold - only about 100 left.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Toured Willett today, great time. Interesting about the taxes and actual cost associated with whiskey production. They also just released a 3 year old Rye completely produced and bottled on site 2 weeks ago. Literally sold the last bottle right before my tour ended. Had I known they had just released it I would have bought it before the tour. They said plenty more will be available very, very soon. $45 a 750ml bottle. Had pretty much everything else they produce readily available minus the XCF. The Rye's are the only thing they produce anymore that will be single barrel, the small batch is still a very small batch though usually from 3-4 barrels if I heard her right.

It was my first tour of an actual rick house, absolutely fantastic! That smell is just incredible! All I can describe it as is an extremely sweet wood smell. Downside of the tour was they have no production during the month of June. All maintenance is done during this month and they also claim it just gets literally too hot to "cook" any product due to the yeast just cooking away during the sweltering heat. Also readily admit they use no special yeast whatsoever, every product they distill uses nothing but plain old yeast that comes in a box that you can buy at any store. Also readily spoke about their sourced products. Anything prior to 2012 was a sourced product but still produced to their recipe. They still did the actual barreling and warehousing of everything on site which they claim accounts for 70% of the flavor profile which is why they still label it and consider it an actual "Willett" product.

What I found interesting was the tax structure on ageing the product. They have some barrels that are 24 yrs old and will of course have lost a significant amount of product over the years. Well they still have to pay the full weight tax every year for that barrel to the county, state and federal governments. Every barrel is filled with 52.8 gallons of white dog and must weigh in at 500-525 lbs per barrel. So a barrel will produce roughly 300 bottles at 2 years which is why that product is $35. But a barrel at 24 years may yield only 25 bottles which is why its priced at $400, but it was taxed for all of those 24 years as a full 52.8 gallon barrel of whiskey.

I would honestly recommend not taking the tours during the weekends. It really was a jam packed mess. When I got there they started turning everyone away. They let me jump in the next tour only because I had missed my reservation from 2 hours earlier. Nothing against the girl giving the tour but I could tell she was pretty much burned out for the day and probably just really looking forward to going home.

I swung through Louisville on the way home to visit my brother and stopped at liquor world. Fantastic selection! Scored a Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength OESQ at 121.2 proof for $55. Also finally scored a Willett Pot Still "SINGLE" Barrel!

Oh I did get to sample the 3 yr old rye produced solely on site. My honest opinion on it was its too young. Still has that grassy taste as its prominent feature. I understand you want to get what you can out to the masses with the huge whiskey fad going on, but I am really starting to notice some products that may be fantastic products at some point if they were allowed to age to their full potential. So maybe it was good they just sold out of their 3 yr old rye because honestly I may have just been disappointed with it.
stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 am

Danno1 wrote: finally scored a Willett Pot Still "SINGLE" Barrel!
nice!

A) was the price within reason?
B) Have you compared it with the new "Small Batch" version yet?
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:12 am

Price was $43, haven't made a side by side comparison yet. Maybe later tonight or this later next week. Wife drained the other bottle just about so it may have 1 drink left. Also worth mentioning Willett is currently producing about 13,000 barrels a year, but still considered a "craft" distillery. You need to produce 50,000 + a year to be listed on the regular Ky Bourbon Trail. She didn't give details on the actual cost of being associated with the Ky Bourbon Trail and Ky Craft Bourbon Trail but alluded to it being very, very expensive. The Willett Distillery is also completely family owned and financed. They have not borrowed a single penny to get the operation back up and running which is why it has taken them roughly 25 years to get back to where they are. The site was leased to a ethanol producer at one time which went bankrupt and just about literally stripped everything on the grounds out. They are painstakingly trying to preserve absolutely everything that is still left from the original 1931 distillery.

A whole lot of expansion is slowly going on right now with the addition of a Bed & Breakfast, a bigger spring fed water supply and bottling room.

This is what a custom made $4m pot still looks like in case you were wondering.

stay thirsty my friends
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 am

Danno1 wrote:Price was $43
I would have bought 4 or 5, essentially a lifetime supply.

Danno1 wrote:haven't made a side by side comparison yet. Maybe later tonight or this later next week.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:26 pm

They had 2 bottles of the single barrel on the shelf, I grabbed them both. Got up to the counter and saw the Four Roses Private Barrels and put one of the Willett's back. As of right now I have 10 bottles of whiskey still at 50%+ full so I really just don't need anymore.

Maybe I should have just kept the bottle though. She loved the small batch so much I am sure she will fly through this one also.

I will have a side by side comparison of them real soon.
stay thirsty my friends
dwyutzey
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:19 pm

btw, today is national bourbon day ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Has anyone had this?? So happy as this has been sold out every time I have enquired about it
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 pm

I tried Woodford Reserve Distillers Select this evening, very nice hint of vanilla on the taste but a prominent alcohol harshness lingers on the end. I even cut it down twice with water trying to ease the harshness but was unable. I had really been looking forward to that one due to a lady at Bardstown highly recommending it. I suppose its just not for me. Its not bad at all, just not my taste.

I called my brother in Louisville and had him run back to liquor world and get me that other bottle of Willett Single Barrel Pot Still. He went ahead and did me one better than that. Got a 1.75 liter bottle of it, single barrel, that they had behind the counter! So I should be thoroughly stocked on that for a good while. Will review it later this week.
stay thirsty my friends
dwyutzey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:16 pm

cargoflipper wrote:Image

Has anyone had this?? So happy as this has been sold out every time I have enquired about it
do tell! Open her up right away. I'd love to hear how she is.

I've had the Yamazaki 12 and the 18. Phenomenal, phenomenal whisky. Haven't heard of this one but I'd love to try it out
ImageImageImageImageImage