New to the art game, would love your help.

General art-related discussion.
pixel2life

Fri May 29, 2015 4:33 am

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much brand new to the art game. I have a pretty cool little collection going*, but nothing crazy. Anyways, I love having these pieces up in my room-- I love to record music, and the atmosphere of a room decked out in great colors and great designs, especially when I have friends over, just adds so much to the creative energy in the room. So, I'm looking for great artists and great pieces and I have no idea where to really start. A lot of times I'll REALLY like only 1 or 2 pieces from an artist, so I wouldn't ordinarily know to look through that artist's work. I would really appreciate any feedback from you guys on artists and pieces you think go with the creative mood I enjoy making music with people.

My favorite pieces are from Shepard Fairey, DFACE, Aaron Horkey, Banksy, Lora Zombie, and Jeremy Gedess; but, I'm looking to expand and would love some insight into your world of art. Thanks, and I hope I'm coming across as sincere and thankful. I would love your help.

Thanks guys,

Edo

* http://expressobeans.com/members/collec ... p?id=52125
trarex
Art Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 am

Take your time and look around the site , discover what you like and what interests you.
Taste takes time to develop , then they change.
Buy what you love not what you think will make money and you'll never regret a purchase. :pint:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
oldgreg
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 29, 2015 6:09 am

DEIH has made 2 really great prints in his short time in the print world
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 6:52 am

if i were to decorate a music room i would puts some gigposters
zkreider
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 29, 2015 7:49 am

Find some galleries that sell the artists you know and look at the other artists they represent. Most of the time you can then follow the artist directly and hope to acquire a piece on it's release date instead of paying the secondary market prices. It's really hard to tell you who exactly to watch as we all have different tastes.
pixel2life

Fri May 29, 2015 8:02 am

Yeah, thanks guys. I understand it's hard to make recommendations. I just found the framing corner and am enjoying seeing all the art in frames, I'll be checking out more of those threads.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 29, 2015 9:08 am

I'm gonnaaaaaa disregard the post-body and just go off the title:
  • You're never going to get what you want without a bot. Start writing one.
    Also, people around here will just think you're somebody's alt if you go against the grain.
Regarding the post body:
Daniel Danger tends to make darker colored prints, but I find some of them to be rather dream-like. He also seems pretty knowledgable about how to render his work with silkscreening. (and it shows) Wish he would post more about it honestly.
Laurent Durieux has a fantastic cross-hatch half-tone style and is strutting his stuff in a retro travel-poster series that's ongoing atm.
Olly Moss helped shoot Mondo into popularity with his pop-culture pieces. I would describe his work as "deceptively simple". Usually the longer you look the more you find.
Kevin Tong tends to use great metallic inks in his work. They're not something that show up in JPEGs of the work, only sometimes in photos. I suppose Horkey is the same way!
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 9:10 am

rerocustom1989 wrote:I'm gonnaaaaaa disregard the post-body and just go off the title:
    Also, people around here will just think you're somebody's alt if you go against the grain.
Regarding the post body:
Daniel Danger tends to make darker colored prints, but I find some of them to be rather dream-like. He also seems pretty knowledgable about how to render his work with silkscreening. (and it shows) Wish he would post more about it honestly.
Laurent Durieux has a fantastic cross-hatch half-tone style and is strutting his stuff in a retro travel-poster series that's ongoing atm.
Olly Moss helped shoot Mondo into popularity with his pop-culture pieces. I would describe his work as "deceptively simple". Usually the longer you look the more you find.
Kevin Tong tends to use great metallic inks in his work. They're not something that show up in JPEGs of the work, only sometimes in photos. I suppose Horkey is the same way!
Here's a tip - ignore this entire post.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
whl10
Art Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 am

buy something by IK = creativity levels soar
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri May 29, 2015 9:22 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:I'm gonnaaaaaa disregard the post-body and just go off the title:
Regarding the post body:
Here's a tip - ignore this entire post.
:lol:
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri May 29, 2015 9:31 am

feel free to look over my trades or collection and see if there's anything you want.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri May 29, 2015 10:02 am

Don't rush anything. There's always gonna be another great piece coming down the line, always some great opportunities.

If you have any pics of the room I'm sure some folks on the board would probably be happy to play online interior designer.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
charter
Art Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am

Bots, turds that post mouth diarrhea, turds that camp 4 days out, and turds that think their instaflip is worth $5000 in trade value have ruined this hobby for me. It's not fun anymore.

My advice...don't listen to anyone here except for mcnail and danieldanger.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 am

charter wrote:Bots, turds that post mouth diarrhea, turds that camp 4 days out, and turds that think their instaflip is worth $5000 in trade value have ruined this hobby for me. It's not fun anymore.

My advice...don't listen to anyone here except for mcnail and danieldanger.
Sad but true.