Andrew Ghrist - News and Rumors Thread

General art-related discussion.
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm

aznpunkyu wrote:this looks like a more refined style than his last works. It looks like a cross between horkey and holt :shock: I hope I don't get hung for saying that
I believe he's also like 10 years younger than Holt and Horkey...

I've been following him for a while now and each print seems to be getting better and better. If he keeps it up, he's going have a huge following soon.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 pm

I gotta say I really like this one. It finally looks like he's moving beyond the direct horkey influence. You can still see it there but it's not the first thing that pops into my mind when looking at the image unlike some of his past work.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Yep. He gets (justified) criticism over being pretty Horkey-esque, but he's also relatively very new to all this and still developing a voice. He's also absolutely growing and changing, and having a Horkey/Holt baseline isn't exactly bad to start.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
aznpunkyu
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 pm

this piece looks a lot more like Holt's style. I think he would be able draw waves that would be comparable to holt's
Image THC x 3
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 pm

More Holty for sure, which is damn awesome.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 am

loving that tease.
DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 am

That looks incredible!
ImageImageImage
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 am

When I seen that image I thought I was in the Horkey thread actually lol
natemacd
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 27, 2015 11:43 am

ClaytonHopper wrote:Image
:drool:
Bralumian
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 27, 2015 12:46 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Yep. He gets (justified) criticism over being pretty Horkey-esque, but he's also relatively very new to all this and still developing a voice. He's also absolutely growing and changing, and having a Horkey/Holt baseline isn't exactly bad to start.
the problem with him is that, while obviously talented, he's yet to develop any real style of his own - you never look at any of his work and go, 'oh that's a ghrist' - it's always something along the lines of 'the waves are holt-ish and the sky is horkey-esque' et al. looking at the new piece it's clearly very technically proficient but lacks any real originality as he's just managed to suture together two different artists' styles into one piece but without creating something definitively 'his' in the process. he's also not that young - i think he's 26-27 or thereabouts - so you can't just chalk it up to him being a kid that is emulating his heroes and doesn't know any better.
blackbird68
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 27, 2015 1:31 pm

I don't care, I like it.

Is that for the Pangea Seed print?
DarkenedShrine
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 1:53 pm

According to his IG it's not for Pangea Seed.
ImageImageImage
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 pm

blackbird68 wrote:I don't care, I like it.
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
downtown
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 2:35 pm

ClaytonHopper wrote:Image
This stands on it's own. Horkey influence or not it's excellent.
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Bralumian wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Yep. He gets (justified) criticism over being pretty Horkey-esque, but he's also relatively very new to all this and still developing a voice. He's also absolutely growing and changing, and having a Horkey/Holt baseline isn't exactly bad to start.
the problem with him is that, while obviously talented, he's yet to develop any real style of his own - you never look at any of his work and go, 'oh that's a ghrist' - it's always something along the lines of 'the waves are holt-ish and the sky is horkey-esque' et al. looking at the new piece it's clearly very technically proficient but lacks any real originality as he's just managed to suture together two different artists' styles into one piece but without creating something definitively 'his' in the process. he's also not that young - i think he's 26-27 or thereabouts - so you can't just chalk it up to him being a kid that is emulating his heroes and doesn't know any better.
And Horkey and Holt were the first of their kind?? You talk like Aaron Horkey invented that style of art when bashing Andrew. :roll: This is no different than people trashing Jordan Monsell for paper cuts because apparently Olly Moss invented paper cuts and only he can do it. Or people trashing Josh Budich being a weak copy cat of Tyler Stout because they have similar "floating heads" approach. Or even Traci Ching tracing or even trying to minic Laurent Durieux. Or Banksy stealing images or Dface being a Roy Lichtenstein rip off. or MBW ripping off everyone.