Kobe Bryant 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 am

This topic is dedicated to: Kobe Bryant 08 Fairey

itsdug
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 am

bargain prices!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:09 am

No silkscreen? Bummer.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:10 am

junk.

in the hierarchy of autographs, basketball is probably THE WORST selling sport. they aren't nice guys, so putting in 2 days and 16 hours to get a half dozen autographs only to sell them for $30 each isn't worth it.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 am

Um...ok.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:12 am

Codeblue wrote:Um...ok.
lol

don't tell me you LIKE this...

$1000 for a signed LITHO?
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:13 am

sports memorabilia collectors require certificates of authenticity....

way to many fakes.... so nobody buys them without.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:15 am

Like the medium and price, no. Like the portrait, kinda. Lakers is muh team.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 am

GR8Dane wrote:sports memorabilia collectors require certificates of authenticity....

way to many fakes.... so nobody buys them without.
Tons of fakes have COAs on it... the thing is, I can give you a COA with an autograph, but you'll never know if its actually real. There is no real governing body that certifies that COAs issued are legit.

I only trust a couple companies who issue COAs... Upper Deck, Steiner, and Frameworth. But there are probably another 100+ companies that offer COAs, and maybe 30+ that have hologram / COA combinations.

If you're buying autographs from ebay, I offer the following few tips:
1. photo proof - a current photo showing the person holding the exact item in their hand autographing said item. There are lots of people who use "old" or generic proof, and they never show the exact item.

2. If they're selling a "Rolling Stones complete signed album" for $19.95 starting price, its a fake. If its too good to be true, it for sure is (for autographs). For the record, a rolling stones complete band album should go for about $1000 - $1500. $700 on just mick or richards.

3. If they don't live in a major city like: new york or LA. If its for sports, then generally stick with a seller from the city the athlete you are buying from. I'm sorry, but the chances that you are scoring an authentic "Tiger Woods Signed Masters Flag" from Smalltown, USA is less than zero.

4. Look at their other items. 95% of my items have photo proof. Each one of my listings say which date I got the autograph. I have the approximate time, and location if anyone asks.

5. Ask questions. How did you get this item?

6. Avoid people who "buy from trusted dealers". Its almost always a fake...

7. If you see a "Lord of the Rings Cast signed full size Movie poster" for $300, and everyone's name is signed nicely in every letter, and everyone is using the same nice silver paint pen... its a fake.

I've done this for 10 years, and still haven't completed a full movie poster. They are very cumbersome items, that don't handle well. There's no way at a movie premiere that you can get more than a half dozen autographs, and have no smudges, and every celeb takes the time to sign "Orlando Bloom" "Cate Blanchett". But when you look at other auctions Orlando Bloom's autograph looks like "OB~~m" and you don't even see any real cate blanchett autographs.... it tells you something.

chances are, a real movie poster will be wrinkled to fudge, and the autographs are messy as hell.

8. Don't trust COAs, trust detailed information and PROOF photos.

9. Some people who forge graphs do autographs better than the celebs themselves. You will truly never know unless you get it yourself. Sasha Baron Cohen (Borat) told me "why don't you just sign these yourself? my autograph isn't that hard".

10. Many dealers have real graphs mixed with fake graphs. Team signed jerseys where they get about 6 real graphs, are mixed in with 20 fakes. They will have real autographs from the "Stiffs" (crappy players) mixed with a few "Studs" which will be fake. two examples:

10a. at one of the big malls in downtown toronto, there was a mall kiosk that sold autographs. they had some steiner graphs which were real, but a large majority were fake. Godfather signed scripts are VERY tough to come by... There really shouldn't be 3 copies.

10b. At the mall in montreal, this dealer would give people photos to get signed and to bring back. So these kids would take the photos, get their own stuff signed, then forge the photos and bring the fakes to the store. With an idea of how each player's autograph looks like, it takes a good 'forger' about 20 minutes to learn the autograph and sign the item. Those who are good at it, you can't tell.
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:47 am

Codeblue wrote:Like the medium and price, no. Like the portrait, kinda. Lakers is muh team.
i like them too. I really hate kevin garnett. toughest graph in sports. period.
MasterFramer
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:55 am

Where do you purchase this?
jodeci78
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 am

MasterFramer wrote:Where do you purchase this?
upperdeck.com
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 am

I never understood collecting autographs other than when you are like 5 years old and at Disney World asking Donald Duck and Mickey and Goofey to sign your little autograph book that your parent bought u for some ridiculous price at the Disney store.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:05 am

MasterFramer wrote:Where do you purchase this?
http://store.upperdeck.com/Search.aspx? ... d%20Fairey