Olly Moss gets his own thread

General art-related discussion.
Packatrix
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:20 am

Olly wrote:
Packatrix wrote:Olly,

How linear are the pathways around the park - it's hard to get a sense from the video. It's a tough balancing act to create something open world, but then put in enough elements to warrant the scale of the terrain. It all looks beautiful, so the desire to see it from all angles will be there, but given the size of the Campo Santo team I can't imagine we're roaming will and free...

I'm still very disappointed with Far Cry 4 having a distinct load to get into the snowy Himalaya landscape...
Think more metroid prime than Far Cry. There are areas that are far more open than those shown in the demo, and they link up in increasingly interesting ways. We want to reward exploration with cool discoverables to talk about,
Sounds good. Being able to see, or learn about somewhere that is currently inaccessible, can often be enjoyable, if sometimes a little trite/forced. It was odd/refreshing in Far Cry 4, to get the gyrocopter so early on, when so many of the rope climbing/swinging sections, could be completely bypassed by taking the chopper there. Arkham Asylum struck a nice balance as well, but it was kind of shame that it wasn't Batman figuring out what was required by repeatedly analysing a few areas that provided the same 'blockage' to then go to the cave to make it. Instead, it was just a narrative development, to open the game world up.

I think Dishonoured managed to strike a great balance between things to see/explore, and things to do/interact with. It also felt that they did a great job of dealing with the old 'invisible wall'/ play area limitations. Suspension of disbelief, even in a game with an abstracted visual aesthetic, is so quickly knackered when you can get through/over one type of door/bush/log/rock, but then not get through/over a more of less identical object somewhere else.

I'm expecting to see some hyper realistic, small scale ( in terms of locations size) games in the next few years, that have an environment and objects that are all entirely explorable, manipulatable, and have a large range of real world physical properties. A murder mystery engine, set in a medium sized stately home for example. Anyway - I digress.

As it stands, the game has a lovely visual 'feel' to it, and the voice acting, as other's have mentioned, sounds great. Kudos to you and the team.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Seems Olly wants to draw some Avengers. :clap: I vote 5 x 5 action. :drool:
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

PLUSH wrote:Seems Olly wants to draw some Avengers. :clap: I vote 5 x 5 action. :drool:
He doesn't even need to preview them. Just put up a preorder for "Avengers minis" and I'll buy them right now.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:34 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:
He doesn't even need to preview them. Just put up a preorder for "Avengers minis" and I'll buy them right now.
Samk89
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:36 pm

ajmmck wrote:
MJGallicchio wrote:
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm

Damn y'all thirsty
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Been a long time between drinks
ImAMonster
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Can somebody with better eyes than me tell me if those are paper cuts in the new Avengers movie, or just regular silhouettes?
Avengers-2-Trailer-Shot.jpg
ImageImageImage T.H.C. x3

Well, what do you expect, mother? I'm half machine!
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Is that maybe statler and waldorf on the top?
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

I don't see a tie.

I think just generic.

e: though it's so small, the general shape fits..the white space could be there and just isnt visible to my eye
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:21 pm

ImAMonster wrote:Can somebody with better eyes than me tell me if those are paper cuts in the new Avengers movie, or just regular silhouettes?
Avengers-2-Trailer-Shot.jpg
They're not Moss Paper Cuts.™
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:55 am

ISO :shock:

bulkhead72
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:59 am

Where did he post that? I get the hair/tail and I'm guessing the flower is a nod to Ace's shirt?
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Where did he post that? I get the hair/tail and I'm guessing the flower is a nod to Ace's shirt?
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Some of the cuts appear rougher than I had hoped. May remake those in a few days.