The Godfather Part II 15 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
jcbudny
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 am

Not a terrible print, but not my favorite LD either. Looks like all three prints in this series will have a tag line and I'm not one to really care much for them on my cinema prints. As for the image itself, for some reason my eyes are drawn to the smokestack and rigging on the ship to the point that they are distracting. I like the color palette of this print, lends itself nicely to the time period.
THC x 3
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 am

What works so well for me is that my favorite scene of Godfather II is always the family dinner scene at the end, that wonderfully powerful moment where Michael sits all alone while the sounds of family are heard in the background. The exactness of the scene Durieux depicts isn't as important as the fact that there's a wonderful juxtaposition in placing young Vito sitting there, as early as you can get in the film, separate from the masses gathered to look at the statue in hope. Completely separated from his family, but in a wholly different manner from the son that succeeds him. It works for me in that regard.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Brian2013
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am

I would have liked to see about a 30 degree higher view, enough to get some water in the shot. Probably would have distracted from the image but having lived in NY for a few years, the water added into the view would have been even better;)
by Codeblue

But he LOVES the show Big Brother, and premixed margaritas in foil packs.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:01 am

Some really interesting comments here so far - things I hadn't thought of. It's rare to come to the site and see good, thoughtful comments on art anymore! :lol:

So I don't think this scene was in the movie, and that's what I love about it. There is the shot of young Vito in his temporary bedroom on Ellis Island, looking at the Statue of Liberty and, I think, whistling and swinging his feet. This print evokes that scene to me, and it is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Right after his name was changed, as so many immigrant's names were, to the place that he was from.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
nutter97
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:37 pm

jcbudny wrote:Looks like all three prints in this series will have a tag line and I'm not one to really care much for them on my cinema prints.
people don't seem to mind so much with his Jaws print.
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

nutter97 wrote:
jcbudny wrote:Looks like all three prints in this series will have a tag line and I'm not one to really care much for them on my cinema prints.
These Godfather prints have quotes, not taglines. The Jaws poster has a tagline, which unlike a character quote, is extremely common in movie posters.

I think if the Jaws poster had this, folks would have the same reaction:

"It's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time." - Mayor Vaughn
I Heart Haddonfield.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:14 pm

The only reason people hate the tanline is because they needed to grill OCE about something.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm

63schoeffling wrote:The only reason people hate the tanline is because they needed to grill OCE about something.

Definitely not true. I'm not a fan of the quotes at all and I'm an OCE supporter, overall.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Wockenfuss wrote:
nutter97 wrote:
These Godfather prints have quotes, not taglines. The Jaws poster has a tagline, which unlike a character quote, is extremely common in movie posters.

I think if the Jaws poster had this, folks would have the same reaction:

"It's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time." - Mayor Vaughn
Plus there's a difference between sticking your tagline/quote thin and in the image itself versus dedicating a chunk of the print to spelling it out bold and over white. Again, love the print, but I get where some people may not find that aspect as aesthetically pleasing.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:29 pm

"Dah - dun. Dah - dun. Dah - dun - da dun da dun da dun." - Jaws
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:31 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:The only reason people hate the tanline is because they needed to grill OCE about something.

Definitely not true. I'm not a fan of the quotes at all and I'm an OCE supporter, overall.
I mean you can always just frame it out or trim it. To any of those that plan on hanging it that is. I've come around to the quotes actually. I would much rather have a quote at the bottom than chitty Art.
Whitey9457
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 pm

I don't really like this particular quote. I would lean towards the variant just so I could avoid reading the quote but I don't think it's worth the price difference so I think I'll end up matting the quote out. Not sure yet...
psyduck
Art Enthusiast

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:03 pm

63schoeffling wrote: I mean you can always just frame it out or trim it.

Anyone going for the Wood edition?
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:18 pm

uh, no.
mangchi
Art Enthusiast

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:15 am