soupysound
EB Team

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:43 am

bone811
Art Expert

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am

Tetsuojin wrote:
punch wrote:
mfaith wrote:I'm barely on board with giclees. I know some art styles just don't work well with screenprinting and so giclees are the only option for faithful reproduction. So i can stand those in some cases. But lithographs i just have zero interest in owning. That may mean I miss out on some things, but I'm ok with that. I got plenty of other things in queue to spend my money on. Good luck to those who're going for it, in any event. :cheers:
Oh please.. Lothographs have been around for 200 years and will continue to be around long after we're dead. That's a pretty uninformed stance to take. Read up on art and printing history. Many great artists in the couple centuries have only made prints on lithographs and they are still cherished today.

Movie screen prints are A-OK in the collection but fine art lithos have no place! There's a reason we're in the kiddie pool of the art world.
Actually there's two types of lithography: stone and offset, which are completely different from each other. Stone lithography, like screen printing, is an art unto itself; artwork is drawn with grease pencils onto giant limestones,etched with acid and inked with paper over a large hand press. Most printing from the 19th century was this type, including the early 20th century. I would say that most of the art prints from famous artists are stone lithographs. Offset lithography is modern day printing where the image is photo mechanically burned onto flexible thin metal plates and printed on modern presses using inked rollers. All commercial and industrial printing is done by offset. So not all lithographs are the same. If the James Jean prints were stone lithographs, that would indeed be worth getting, since stone lithography takes time, skill, patience and true talent to produce a quality print. Offset..not so much...a good experienced pressman would do a good enough job. Most modern offset presses are digital, which means it's more a laser jet printer than true offset.
this! Stone Lithography, Marinoni machine FTW
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:53 am

bone811 wrote:
Tetsuojin wrote:
punch wrote:
mfaith wrote:I'm barely on board with giclees. I know some art styles just don't work well with screenprinting and so giclees are the only option for faithful reproduction. So i can stand those in some cases. But lithographs i just have zero interest in owning. That may mean I miss out on some things, but I'm ok with that. I got plenty of other things in queue to spend my money on. Good luck to those who're going for it, in any event. :cheers:
Oh please.. Lothographs have been around for 200 years and will continue to be around long after we're dead. That's a pretty uninformed stance to take. Read up on art and printing history. Many great artists in the couple centuries have only made prints on lithographs and they are still cherished today.

Movie screen prints are A-OK in the collection but fine art lithos have no place! There's a reason we're in the kiddie pool of the art world.
Actually there's two types of lithography: stone and offset, which are completely different from each other. Stone lithography, like screen printing, is an art unto itself; artwork is drawn with grease pencils onto giant limestones,etched with acid and inked with paper over a large hand press. Most printing from the 19th century was this type, including the early 20th century. I would say that most of the art prints from famous artists are stone lithographs. Offset lithography is modern day printing where the image is photo mechanically burned onto flexible thin metal plates and printed on modern presses using inked rollers. All commercial and industrial printing is done by offset. So not all lithographs are the same. If the James Jean prints were stone lithographs, that would indeed be worth getting, since stone lithography takes time, skill, patience and true talent to produce a quality print. Offset..not so much...a good experienced pressman would do a good enough job. Most modern offset presses are digital, which means it's more a laser jet printer than true offset.
this! Stone Lithography, Marinoni machine FTW
Thank you Tetsuojin for shining a light on the differences in types of lithography. It seems when I said 'lithography' in my earlier posts, I should have narrowed it to 'offset lithography', as that process you described is what I was intending to refer to. I wasn't familiar with stone lithography, so I'll read up on it and see if it's more in line with my collecting interests. Sounds like it might just be. For the purposes of this release though, as it is offset, my interest in it is unchanged.
As an aside, it's funny that gonzo seemed to know the perfect thing to say in response that might cause me to waver. My collection wouldn't refelect this, but I've been a fan of Mark Ryden's art for like 15 years. Since his Bunnies and Bees show and the Meat Show. Jajo the Patron Saint of Clowns and Little Boy Blue are some of my favorite images. But this was before I knew anything about art prints or this side of the art collecting world at all. I just appreciated the images. So nicely done gonzo ;) Are Ryden's lithographs offset too, or this stone type?
And punch, not sure if you were trying to take a shot at me, but it doesn't really hold water. And feel free, my friend, to buy up all the (offset) lithographs I pass on. Fight the good fight. :rock:
So it goes...
chan011
Art Expert

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 pm

brushed copper color
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Thank you for sharing, very nice to see one up and enjoyed.
That's what she said
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Second edition of Fables is up for preorder for anyone as interested in art books as I am. Expanded with new covers and commentary and its signed.

http://www.giantrobot.com/collections/j ... der-signed
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Even if you're not a Fables fan (DSanacore you weirdo), this is a no brainer.
That's what she said
matt925
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:11 pm

$16 cheaper at amazon if one doesn't care for the sig.
chan011
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 pm

[instagram_vid]http://instagram.com/p/yh4jDLNPN8/[/instagram_vid]
dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm

finneganm wrote:Even if you're not a Fables fan (DSanacore you weirdo), this is a no brainer.

I just couldn't get into the story despite how badly I wanted to love it :( I think I need to give it a second chance. I only got about 4 or so softcovers into it.

Also, I didn't give JJ permission to post the sketchbook he's sending me on Instagram! :lol:
Image Image
haven
Art Expert

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Those sketchbooks he's been posting are awesome.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:58 pm

Need an update on his crazy bird.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
EriaThomas
Art Enthusiast

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 pm

dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:59 am

EriaThomas wrote:Image

Looooove this!
Image Image
Luminous
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:09 am