Stout Discussion - fmr: tyler stout posters are going insane

General art-related discussion.
nsd
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 am

After looking at the image that has the poster laying flat on the table, I am certain that the poster is a mere repurposing of the vinyl artwork. It looks intentionally square at the top like so many have pointed or photoshopped out.

There is virtually no integration of the artwork into the title treatment. Generally even when he "stamps" on the text, he figures out some accent or something to tie it back into the artwork. I would have expected a tail or finger interacting with the title. It just doesn't look like "his take" on a rectangular composition. There is plenty of quality linework as expected but this is the first time where it doesn't feel like it is his complete take on the given canvas.

Maybe I am wrong.
Can be an online release PB when I am not trying to get the piece if I am available. Just ask.
#1 ISO's: (Stout - Signed "Reservoir Dogs", Taylor - "Drive" & Mitchell - Signed "Driver" Portrait)
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 am

short memory, it is the same shenanagans they pulled with Drive and that was only 2 years ago. This was obviously always intended to be the album cover. The date is wrong on the poster because the date was always an afterthought. Now the upside is that tyler had the drive 2 up his sleeve, so there is hope that he has the real poster somewhere and it is yet to be released.
nsd wrote:After looking at the image that has the poster laying flat on the table, I am certain that the poster is a mere repurposing of the vinyl artwork. It looks intentionally square at the top like so many have pointed or photoshopped out... There is plenty of quality linework as expected but this is the first time where it doesn't feel like it is his complete take on the given canvas.

Maybe I am wrong.
jdre214
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 am

maddoghoek100 wrote:short memory, it is the same shenanagans they pulled with Drive and that was only 2 years ago. This was obviously always intended to be the album cover. The date is wrong on the poster because the date was always an afterthought. Now the upside is that tyler had the drive 2 up his sleeve, so there is hope that he has the real poster somewhere and it is yet to be released.
The portrait still got screwed too tho. While the cityscape was mostly just boring LA, at least it was more interesting than that space being taken up by a huge and ugly title.

When I was at the show, and I was picking which I would take, the question wasn't "which is better?" but "which sucks less?"...

Still chose the portait cuz I love the Goz but the vinyl had the right idea. Somewhere there is a good poster made out of the cityscape and portrait.

TLDR I wish the vinyl would be the product more compromised than the poster but whatevssss Mondo really wants UO record buyer monehhh.
mobius006
Art Freak

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 am

Really is to each their own.. I really love the LA of the drive print.
jdre214
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 am

mobius006 wrote:Really is to each their own.. I really love the LA of the drive print.
Lol, looking back on it, Cityscape is clearly the better poster but the giant Gosling face was too much temptation yo.
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:19 am

it is not so much a like vs dont like. i believe he was asked to do an album cover. he did an album cover, and was then asked to convert that album cover into a poster. perhaps he was more successful re-purposing an album cover for use in a poster with drive than with alien. Ultimately the album cover is likely more successful than the movie poster, even if you like the poster

Guardians of the galaxy i believe was a movie poster that they turned into an album cover, as such it is successful as a movie poster, and also happens to be successful as an album cover (although did others notice the construction on these seems to be cheaper than some of the past album covers)
mobius006 wrote:Really is to each their own.. I really love the LA of the drive print.
romario
New User

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 am

The first time i saw the regular version i thought it is a smiling alien with a bloody nose wearing a beret.
actorinthisplay
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:42 am

I love me some Stout as much as the next guy but this really isn't very good for his standards. I wouldn't ever buy it simply because I don't care about Alien but even if I did, there are way better Alien posters out there.
Packatrix
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:03 am

Didn't expect to be feeling like this but 'meh.'
Samk89
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:11 am

IMG_5662 copy.jpg
Just got these in the post from Tyler himself. Any idea if this handbill is new or something? Swear I haven't seen it before unless its old? LOVE it either way :) What a guy!
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 am

Samk89 wrote:
IMG_5662 copy.jpg
Just got these in the post from Tyler himself. Any idea if this handbill is new or something? Swear I haven't seen it before unless its old? LOVE it either way :) What a guy!
There's a handbill set for The Thing. He sold a limited number in 2010 (I think) and has been sending the odd one out with orders since.
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 am

Packatrix wrote:Didn't expect to be feeling like this but 'meh.'

better to curb your expectations, just a few pages ago you were crowning this print (sigh unseen) as a potential best ever of his.

:P
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:23 am

maddoghoek100 wrote:(although did others notice the construction on these seems to be cheaper than some of the past album covers)
This was they first time they screenprinted an album cover. So I'm sure that has something to do with it
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Rebafeind
Art Expert

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 am

remember when people were excited about mondo getting into vinyl?
HowardTheDuck
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 am

fantasticninja wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:Told ya u guys don't need to be jelly of those living in Austin... :P
No offense but I wouldn't live in Austin if my rent was free and I lived in walking distance to Mondo.
the term "no offense" usually means you are about to express an opinion that makes you seem like a douche.

:P