How to Ship a Print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:22 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Some of you guys are drymounting noobs
So it goes...
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:23 pm

mfaith wrote:
turnJBup wrote:
shidarin wrote:If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
The only reason people are cramming foreign crap in there is because the tube is too long. Well, cut it where you want it.
Isn't it easier to cut the kraft paper the right size than the super thick tube with a bread knife?! :roll:
This isn't an arts and crafts project lol. Really boy-scouting that tube packing.
Standard tubes are a half inch longer than standard craft paper.
We are talking about the tube being too long. Try and keep up.
Talk to me when you have been here more than five minutes.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 pm

turnJBup wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Some of you guys are drymounting noobs
No fudge. :lol:
I guess the year isn't showing up on my account... Off to a party.
I was talking about you :P :wink:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:26 pm

turnJBup wrote:
mfaith wrote:
turnJBup wrote:
shidarin wrote:If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
The only reason people are cramming foreign crap in there is because the tube is too long. Well, cut it where you want it.
Isn't it easier to cut the kraft paper the right size than the super thick tube with a bread knife?! :roll:
This isn't an arts and crafts project lol. Really boy-scouting that tube packing.
Maybe you just got fudge supplies. "Try and keep up" lol. 30"x4" yazoo tubes + 30"x600' roll of uline kraft. Somehow, and i know i'm a bit slow, but those 30's sure do look like the same damn number. :roll:
Let me know when you're done bread knifing your bloody tube. lel
Last edited by mfaith on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes...
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Putting bubble wrap on the ends is a fine way to buffer the distance between the Kraft and the end of the tube. I know that now. I knew that when I joined in 2012, and when I first started collecting prints long before that. Take your join date and shove it up your ass. If it doesn't fit, cut it down with a knife and try again.
That's what she said
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:33 pm

Also, nothing personal. Happy new year.
That's what she said
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:35 pm

I can say with 100% certainty that most of you pack like dog fudge. Throw join dates out the window. I've received prints packed like fudge from noobs and older members. Hell some of the best packed tubes I've ever received have come from dudes who have been on the site for less than a year. Every one thinks they know how to pack and they usually don't. It also shouldn't matter if the print was $50 or $500, people are spending their hard earned money buying your fudge so the least you can do is take a few minutes to make sure it's drymounting packed properly.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:07 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:I can say with 100% certainty that most of you pack like dog fudge. Throw join dates out the window. I've received prints packed like fudge from noobs and older members. Hell some of the best packed tubes I've ever received have come from dudes who have been on the site for less than a year. Every one thinks they know how to pack and they usually don't. It also shouldn't matter if the print was $50 or $500, people are spending their hard earned money buying your fudge so the least you can do is take a few minutes to make sure it's drymounting packed properly.

Packing party! :rock:
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 am

Most important thing people can do is learn how to roll, use fresh tubes and use tons of tape on the end caps. It's just sad if you get a ridiculously packed tube and the print has roll bends or the tube got damaged because of having weak spots from previous shipping use.
haven
Art Expert

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:06 pm

mfaith wrote:
turnJBup wrote:
mfaith wrote:
turnJBup wrote: Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
Maybe you just got fudge supplies. "Try and keep up" lol. 30"x4" yazoo tubes + 30"x600' roll of uline kraft. Somehow, and i know i'm a bit slow, but those 30's sure do look like the same damn number. :roll:
Let me know when you're done bread knifing your bloody tube. lel
They're not. A 30 inch yazoo is 31 1/2 inches out of the box. Allowing for endcaps, you've got at least a half inch of free space.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:24 pm

haven wrote:They're not. A 30 inch yazoo is 31 1/2 inches out of the box. Allowing for endcaps, you've got at least a half inch of free space.
Hehe yes, you're right. Full disclosure, it was New Years Eve, i was about to go out and already had a couple. And that dude's dickish attitude rubbed me the wrong way. I apologize for the inaccuracies and brusqueness of my post. :oops:
In all seriousness, I pack a lot like many of the recent posters here have said, and I learned from the OP, so I'm sure that's not a surprise. I do roll it a bit tighter than the tube, and for the ends, I use 1-1.5inch strips of craft taped at the end like the OP suggests to prevent anything falling into the middle. Then whatever space is left I pad with some crumpled up spare kraft from tubes i've received from others. Ever since moving to 4in tubes and using this method I've never had any issues with shipping. I did have one issue really early on when I was using 3 in tubes, just because it was rolled so tight. But the 4in tubes work out nicely.
So it goes...
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:03 pm

I like using glassine sheets to protect delicate inks during shipment, but glassine is kinda tricky. It's great for protecting the print image, but the fudge is sliiiippery. If the entire poster surface is covered with a glassine sheet, the glassine will protect the image well but also tends to promote slippage of the poster while in transit, which we all know can lead to bad things. Size your glassine sheet to protect the image rather than the entire poster surface. That way, if everything is rolled up snug, the friction between the poster's border and the kraft paper will generally be enough to keep everything in the roll in place during shipment.

Just to be clear - I am NOT saying glassine is the perfect packaging solution or that everyone should use it.
Welcome to the sleaze pit
golobulus
Art Expert

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Just received a thick tube with the sides of the caps stapled through the sides of the tube. Can we agree that this should *never* be done! Oh the frustration! Tape is sufficient!
shidarin
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:48 pm

golobulus wrote:Just received a thick tube with the sides of the caps stapled through the sides of the tube. Can we agree that this should *never* be done! Oh the frustration! Tape is sufficient!
G1988 does this. Takes me forever to unpack.

Regarding packing tape on the end caps- you don't need a lot of it, but you do need good packing tape. Crummy tape won't stick reliable no matter how much tape you use, and a single strip of great packing tape around the edge of a cap will hold it as surely as a staple if not better.

This stuff is beastly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P7P9M ... 5e_g229_i5
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 am

shidarin wrote:
golobulus wrote:Just received a thick tube with the sides of the caps stapled through the sides of the tube. Can we agree that this should *never* be done! Oh the frustration! Tape is sufficient!
G1988 does this. Takes me forever to unpack.

Regarding packing tape on the end caps- you don't need a lot of it, but you do need good packing tape. Crummy tape won't stick reliable no matter how much tape you use, and a single strip of great packing tape around the edge of a cap will hold it as surely as a staple if not better.

This stuff is beastly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P7P9M ... 5e_g229_i5
The times I have seen this, there is generally one end stapled and the other end taped. If both ends were stapled, I can see your point on the frustration level. I remember getting my first metal capped tube. I felt really stupid when I realized you didn't have to pry the caps off...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump