How to Ship a Print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
alittle
Art Freak

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:29 am

This was very helpful for me in the beginning, but I have since omitted some steps.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:36 am

alittle wrote:This was very helpful for me in the beginning, but I have since omitted some steps.
Yup...as have I. This guide is VERY OLD. My process is now completely different.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:37 am

CrustaR wrote:
alittle wrote:This was very helpful for me in the beginning, but I have since omitted some steps.
Yup...as have I. This guide is VERY OLD. My process is now completely different.
I don't follow it to a t, but when I was shipping my very first print, it definitely helped me take a lot of things into consideration that I might otherwise not have.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:38 am

Looks like Stout dumped your "new" guide.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:39 am

Codeblue wrote:Looks like Stout dumped your "new" guide.
Site is down for maintenance. I'm reworking it anyway (my process has changed drastically since I wrote that guide as well). :pint:
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:58 am

Even more convoluted than before hopefully.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
golobulus
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 am

Tube-length kraft rolled thinner than the tube was my biggest take-away and has worked really well for me. Allow some tube crushing but not allow the print to bang back and forth in the tube.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:28 am

Pretty much all ya need to know.
CrustaR
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Codeblue wrote:Even more convoluted than before hopefully.
I hope so...for your sake. 8)
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I still ship the same ...if I ever sell anything.
haven't used a triangle in over a year.
electrachrome wrote:variations on a theme:

2 phat strips of blue painter's tape (no tabs)

I tape a little wad of bubble pack to the endcaps to make sure the rolled print doesn't slide around.

I also slap priority mail stickers on my endcaps

I tape the ends with one strip of tape around the circumference, then fold in the extra into the cap

higher value prints get all of the above, then popped into a USPS triangular mailer.
I also tend to use the mailers around Christmas time when a little extra protection is warranted.
3" Uline tubes are about 3/4 of an inch shorter than Yazoo Mills an are a better fit for the triangle treatment.
dmm8878
Art Expert

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:34 pm

golobulus wrote:Tube-length kraft rolled thinner than the tube was my biggest take-away and has worked really well for me. Allow some tube crushing but not allow the print to bang back and forth in the tube.
This, though I usually cut the kraft a couple inches shorter than the tube and pad with bubble wrap or crumpled paper towels.
ottomatik71 wrote:Your punk ass attitude isn't going to help you get this print.
shidarin
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:35 am

1. Kraft under print, glassine over print, bottom ends folded in.
2. Wrap kraft slightly smaller than tube
3. Tape kraft shut with painters tape.
4. Wrap that in a layer of bubble wrap.
5. Tape on some strips of kraft at the ends to help with pulling out print
6. Pad ends with tissue or bubble wrap.
7. Tape on end caps with a circumference strip of packing tape
8. Avoid temptation to write "Fragile" on tube.

Are my current steps. Anything I'm missing/overdoing?
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:53 am

shidarin wrote: 8. Avoid temptation to write "Fragile" on tube.
?
So it goes...
jpfondu
Art Expert

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:58 am

It's thought that some parcels labelled Fragile or This Side Up may be targeted by some biscuit arse postal worker. Although, all mine have been ok.

haven
Art Expert

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

shidarin wrote: 4. Wrap that in a layer of bubble wrap.
5. Tape on some strips of kraft at the ends to help with pulling out print

Are my current steps. Anything I'm missing/overdoing?
I think your number 4 is a big mistake. If you're rolling the print smaller than the diameter of the tube, you don't then want to add to that by wrapping it in anything. Youre decreasing the space left to absorb a hit.

And number 5 is a head scratcher. If the craft paper is the length of the tube and there's adequate space from the edge of the print, no add ons should be necessary.

Edit to add: As to step 4, sometimes when I'm using a four inch tube I'll wrap the very ends of the craft paper in bubble wrap so that it can't bounce up or down in transit. If a tube takes a hit it's not going to be right at the endcaps, and if those get crushed you're probably drymounted anyways.
Last edited by haven on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.