Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:43 am

jtanner11 wrote:DHM's involvement on these boards despite all the whining, nitpicking and trolling just proves how they are stand up people who know how to run a business. Thanks for putting up with us DHM!
Welcome to the sleaze pit
jimmysleftbrain
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah, DMH still be bomb.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:43 am

Still waiting on my delort xmas print! Cant wait to see it
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm

KingOfNothing wrote:
MoviePosterEmpire wrote:I think the disappointing parts in this one is that the two big lights look flat, that Stewart looks like he's asleep with his eyes closed and her's open, and that the tree looks weird not being able to see through the branches throughout.
100% this! Plus, feels rushed/hack job, are they supposed to be outside? Wearing no protection from the elements... No offense but Durieux fast tracked this print and IMHO this looks like one of his weakest efforts. Not his first fail, but a fail none the less.
Take a nap.
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Personal tastes guys. I think it looks great. Would be a great seasonal hang (I put up his Charlie Brown Christmas prints each year).
That's what she said
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:06 pm

finneganm wrote:Personal tastes guys. I think it looks great. Would be a great seasonal hang (I put up his Charlie Brown Christmas prints each year).
I agree.
The only thing that could make this better, is a silver screen metallic variant.

:drool:
Most of what you read on the internet is not true....signed Abraham Lincoln
choptank
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Interesting that some folks think of this print as a "fail." I find that funny. Durieux's worst is better than most of what I see.
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm fine with personal taste, I certainly have a few of my own. But I dislike people relentlessly slagging an image the day before the drop. At some point it starts to feel like attempted sabotage, especially coming from people who haven't even seen the print yet.

That's my personal taste.
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 pm

1000steps wrote:At some point it starts to feel like attempted sabotage
I'm speculating, but there just might be some truth here
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 pm

KingOfNothing wrote:
MoviePosterEmpire wrote:I think the disappointing parts in this one is that the two big lights look flat, that Stewart looks like he's asleep with his eyes closed and her's open, and that the tree looks weird not being able to see through the branches throughout.
100% this! Plus, feels rushed/hack job, are they supposed to be outside? Wearing no protection from the elements... No offense but Durieux fast tracked this print and IMHO this looks like one of his weakest efforts. Not his first fail, but a fail none the less.
I dont think they're outside. I think given how Stewart and Reed's images stand in front of the rest of the background image, it's supposed to be them in front of a travel poster of sorts, since the travel posters had a significant part in the movie.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm

IM JUST SO ANGRY THAT THIS PRINT I PROBABLY WOUDN'T HAVE BOUGHT IS NOT UP TO MY AESTHETIC STANDARDS.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:29 pm

thisisjosh
Art Expert

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 am

ClaytonHopper wrote:
KingOfNothing wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong. Durieux put a lot of time into this, if you follow his FB page you would of known he has made reference to this movie a long time ago. No way was this rushed with the time spent into researching. Yes, to some this is not what they had hoped for, seems like the Casablanca effect where people are going to nickpick on a high profile movie. Going to always happen, people talked fudge about duriuex Jaws and Birds here comes trouble prints too.

In short, haters going to hate.
I agree, this print is a love letter to the movie. Clarence's wings are tear inducing. And to try and force all elements into one "scene" in your mind is a disservice to yourself. They aren't freezing cold :? They are in an embrace, and in the background there is the town with Clarence. That's it.
BuckRodgers
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am

What's the big deal? Why call subjective commentaries sabotage? It's Durieux. It's a classic film. It will sell. No one is claiming that Durieux is a no talent hack or that DHM puts out crappy prints. Why do people have a problem with EB'ers expressing their opinions about particular pieces. Unless you're planning to sell it on the aftermarket, why do you care that another person doesn't think it's Durieux's best? If you like it, buy it. These threads aren't all about the worship of artists.

I, personally, don't think this matches the level of work that came out at his gallery show. But hey:
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 am

I'm always impressed at how fine a line between "criticism" and "straight-up hatin'" can be. It's there though.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.