Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 14 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bisondice
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:52 pm

I love Horkey and am almost as quick to slurp all his work as others but this is very detailed, hard to read, muddy and barely coherent to me. MEH
Last edited by bisondice on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
Sniffer85
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Please jebus, let me pick one of these up tomorrow, I'll be good, I promise
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Moving my attempt at art discussion to the proper thread...

It's interesting to see the higher levels of contrast on this one compared to TT and ROTK - much sharper separation between the blacker and whiter elements. Wonder what hidden details are in the dark...
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mixmastermarflow2001
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:04 pm

:notworthy: Sooo glad to finally complete the set and sell a kidney to get these framed. Great work dude.
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm

It's kinda like heavy metal abstraction.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:35 pm

I was really hoping for a Shire scene here. I thought it would be interesting to see to serenity of the Shire, then the impending war of Merry and Pippin atop Treebeard, and the ultimate conflict depicted in Return of the King. This looks pretty great in some ways, but we've seen this scene interpreted ad nauseam.

As much as I debate whether RotK works as a movie poster, at least it was a new and more creative interpretation.
woodrowgus
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:I was really hoping for a Shire scene here. I thought it would be interesting to see to serenity of the Shire, then the impending war of Merry and Pippin atop Treebeard, and the ultimate conflict depicted in Return of the King. This looks pretty great in some ways, but we've seen this scene interpreted ad nauseam.
Agreed. I have no doubt it will be incredible to study in person, but I really expected a Shire-centric print; one that would lend itself to a variant printed on dark, forest-green paper.

This also took me awhile to figure out the orientation; I first thought we were looking down on the climactic moment from above, but then I realized that didn't work , with respect to where Gandalf is on the stone bridge. I can see it now, but it was a little disorienting at first, especially with the brightness obscuring his face.

Nonetheless, incredible artwork as usual and a fine way to close out the series.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:I was really hoping for a Shire scene here. I thought it would be interesting to see to serenity of the Shire, then the impending war of Merry and Pippin atop Treebeard, and the ultimate conflict depicted in Return of the King. This looks pretty great in some ways, but we've seen this scene interpreted ad nauseam.
As much as I debate whether RotK works as a movie poster, at least it was a new and more creative interpretation.
I agree. I like this, but wanted something different...
DickButt
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:07 pm

This is the best print ever, right?
xbrc
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Best Horkey this week!
DeadHand
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm

I really would have liked to have seen him do the Black Rider/s

Though I think that scene has it's fair share of depicitons as well..not nearly as much..though.
DeadHand
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 pm

bisondice wrote:I love Horkey and am almost as quick to slurp all his work as others but this is very detailed, hard to read, muddy and barely coherent to me. MEH
The main thing that has me a bit O_o is the the dark light emitting from Gandalf's staff in the variant. For some reason a lack of brightness coming from the staff just bugs the nerd in me.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:52 pm

DeadHand wrote:The main thing that has me a bit O_o is the the dark light emitting from Gandalf's staff in the variant. For some reason a lack of brightness coming from the staff just bugs the nerd in me.
Yeah. But if this is anything like TT, the metallics will be crazy, so there may be a shimmery effect there around the staff which could be just as cool.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm really surprised so many people thought HORKEY would do a shire print. It just doesn't seem to fit his style and historical output at all. The only thing I ever thought it MIGHT be other than the balrog was the watcher in the water (which would have been nearly as cool IMO)
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
IbisMummy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:14 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:I'm really surprised so many people thought HORKEY would do a shire print. It just doesn't seem to fit his style and historical output at all. The only thing I ever thought it MIGHT be other than the balrog was the watcher in the water (which would have been nearly as cool IMO)
I totally agree.
ibismummy wrote:Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:31 pm:

So, in hopes that this will turn out to be a Horkey triptych, here are my calls on the next two:

Fellowship of the Ring: The Watcher in the Water (Doors of Durin at the bottom, like the White Tree of Gondor in RotK)

The Two Towers: Close up of the head of an Oliphant... or Ents, baby, nothing but Ents tearing down Isengard
ironjaiden: "...I have no idea how some of you dudes make it through the day, stressful as life is and all."
Frank Zappa: "Good night Austin, Texas, wherever you are."