Pulp Fiction 14 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
fredo
Art God

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:24 pm

I understood you the first time. If you like the Budich, fine. Personally I think you're missing something larger in the Durieux. But to then go off calling something like the Durieux amateurish/not being about the art...well. All I can think of is that you're blinded by Budhack's color scheme. Those faces are just hilarious.

ps This whole alt-movie scene isn't my bag but it is in large part pretty goofy, homespun and "about the movie". I think that's the draw for most. Also the flips.
just a foil for me today, thanks
aivc
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:49 pm

postulio wrote:... I would be embarrassed to hang this in the film room.
postulio wrote:... but then something like this comes out and it's just... trashy.
postulio wrote:... I would never let this taint my walls...
Postulio, having an negative opinion is fine and it can start an interesting discussion about the art at times, but for that to happen, you need to point out what you think is wrong with the art itself. Now, the problem isn't there, because you actually stated what you thought was wrong with the poster itself, and that's great. But then you also peppered your posts with distasteful stabs at the poster itself, and the people that bought it.

It could have been an interesting discussion if you hadn't intentionally insulted both the art and the buyers.
My 2 cents/
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
Wockenfuss
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

postulio wrote: something like this comes out and it's just... trashy. It is not hard to imagine the dollar signs in everyone's eyes when negotiating this commission.

I would never let this taint my walls...
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but...
Wockenfuss wrote:...so silly that it makes it impossible to take any other comments from the author seriously.
By the way, if anyone REALLY had dollar signs in their eyes, they would never have made this the timed release. They would have done it with the Stout Guardians print or the upcoming (anticipated) Horkey Fellowship print. LoTR or superhero stuff is WAY more lucrative than Pulp Fiction.
I Heart Haddonfield.
stormcrow
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm really thankful they did this one timed. It's a great poster for one of my favorite movies and it would have been near impossible to get on the drop. Thanks to Mondo for this!
Also, can someone point out the differences in the variant? The one thing that pops out is the billboard (the timed one has the apple cigs and the variant says Fox Force Five). Also, the colors are obviously different. Any others?
glenn1
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:44 pm

stormcrow wrote:I'm really thankful they did this one timed. It's a great poster for one of my favorite movies and it would have been near impossible to get on the drop. Thanks to Mondo for this!
Also, can someone point out the differences in the variant? The one thing that pops out is the billboard (the timed one has the apple cigs and the variant says Fox Force Five). Also, the colors are obviously different. Any others?
I believe the license plate is the only other difference. This was posted in the Mondo thread:
rubberneck wrote:Image
Last edited by glenn1 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormcrow
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Also, this poster is awesome.

To anyone dissing on this print:

See, now I'm thinking: maybe it means you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here... he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. And I'd like that. But that fudge ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
sephirot8
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 pm

aivc wrote:
postulio wrote:... I would be embarrassed to hang this in the film room.
postulio wrote:... but then something like this comes out and it's just... trashy.
postulio wrote:... I would never let this taint my walls...
Postulio, having an negative opinion is fine and it can start an interesting discussion about the art at times, but for that to happen, you need to point out what you think is wrong with the art itself. Now, the problem isn't there, because you actually stated what you thought was wrong with the poster itself, and that's great. But then you also peppered your posts with distasteful stabs at the poster itself, and the people that bought it.

It could have been an interesting discussion if you hadn't intentionally insulted both the art and the buyers.
My 2 cents/
Could not said it better, Thanks man.
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:32 pm

postulio wrote:
Pulp Fiction was not about interwoven stories. It was a singular narrative told in broken chronological order, this was done on purpose because Tarantino felt that when the story played out linearly, it lacked empathy. An example of a movie with interwoven stories would be Doug Liman's Go.
Well...Tarantino actually wrote it as three classic stories that were woven together, the boxer thats supposed to throw the fight, the employee supposed to take the big boss' wife out to dinner, and a hitman assassination story. He initially planned on having 3 separate writers write each individual section, but it ended up only being QT and Roger Avary, so he did 2 of the stories himself while Avary did the Butch and Marsellus story. So while you may interpret it as one singular narrative, it's not really and it wasnt ever really intended to be. Its different stories connected by characters. QT has said this himself in interviews regarding the writing of PF.

Personally, I like all the different story elements being subtly woven together in this great image, its a different and interesting way to incorporate a lot of the movie into a single imagined scene/image without doing a Stout style collage(not that I wouldnt enjoy that too)
fredo
Art God

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Not to mention each storyline is introduced separately by title card.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:31 pm

I found the print concept dated repetitive and a bit boring
Froilan
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:I found the print concept dated repetitive and a bit boring
How so?
"... and then for one of them to come out and call out another artist for contributing to the over-saturated world of uninspired lazy art…" - Brad Klausen
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:37 pm

I found it colorful, well done and wall friendly. So there.
That's what she said
RupertPupkin
Art Expert

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:42 pm

First Mondo print I've bought in a very long time. I love it. There are loads of iconic moments in the film and I'm glad this print incorporates so many of them.
this aggression will not stand, man.
collinesque
Art Enthusiast

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:11 pm

postulio wrote:
I'm passing on this. Even though I'm a huge Pulp Fiction fan (it's my favorite movie), this print just doesn't do it for me. The artwork is very plain and just a mish mash of story elements from the film completely out of order (I would've much preferred he made this scene as it appeared in the film). Furthermore I think Jules and Vince look pretty terrible here... It's just very amateurish all around, I would be embarrassed to hang this in the film room.

Having said that, the colors are nice.

Pulp Fiction was not about interwoven stories. It was a singular narrative told in broken chronological order, this was done on purpose because Tarantino felt that when the story played out linearly, it lacked empathy. An example of a movie with interwoven stories would be Doug Liman's Go.

Nevertheless, there is a distinct current of events within the film, which this print negates (or rather, ignores). The print looks and feels like a scene, a window into the movie, but upon careful study you see that it is just a mashup of all the different story arcs and elements of Pulp Fiction's world. It is an intriguing idea, but somehow it just doesn't sit well...

If we're gonna do a scene/character mashup, I far prefer Budich's take (granted it's a rip off of Stout's style)

After looking at Durieux's print pictures on Mondo all weekend it occured to me that I didn't like the print artwork much either. I like Durieux's style - clean and classy - but too many elements in this print look 'off' to me: Vince and Jules just look poorly drawn. Zed and Grace dont look right, ditto for Mr. Wallace and the Civic. Monster Joe's pick up truck looks very plain and toyish - in fact, why is it even there, there was never a pickup in the movie, seems like Durieux did everything he possibly could to inject every mention of everything from the movie into the print... it's just a mess.

To me, this print is a poster child for what's wrong with the movie art scene. If artists are floating their work on the basis of how many movie callbacks they can put into a single piece, and fans dig it, it becomes more about the movie and less about the art. This piece I felt fails on both levels.
You ain't a beauty but hey you're all right.
johndv
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:27 pm

finneganm wrote:I found it colorful, well done and wall friendly. So there.
:clap: