Croatoan 06 Horkey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Baker
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:21 am

Interesting to see all of the different views on the image.

I have always seen it maybe in a more literal sense. I always looked at it not as if it were a "fabergé egg" but as it was actually a literal egg. The bird left on it to guard it was left as a sentry to protect it while the massive animal inside grew before bursting out of its shell. The ornateness of the egg always led me to believe that the bird inside was that of a "god like" bird. It was laid in this open field for the sentry to be able to sense when attackers were coming as seen with the speared manta on its beak. It has gone as far as giving up its helmet to continue to protect the egg from any coming attackers. In the way "croatoan" was lost, this animal inside the egg is the second coming and rebirth of the species.

Thats a lot of rambling jumping all over, but you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

Edited cause I typed that before finishing my first cup of coffee.
Last edited by Baker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 am

I don't look at the adornments as markings of a faberge either, it's more like a head dress, or helmet of some sort and the gold filigree simulates hair.
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:31 pm

dropdoctor wrote:Sentry.
Dick.

Edit: Sorry, I just thought we were doing word associations for a second there. :wink:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 pm

dropdoctor wrote:Sentry.
When 'deads first mentioned the Chrstina's World comparison my mind jumped from egg to Oblivion drone... weapon on a broken down cason.

The Trojan Horse wasn't armed but was still a weapon.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
decker3984
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:The Trojan Horse wasn't armed but was still a weapon.
Well, I think in Aaron's post-appocalyptic world...
The "birds" are the guardian's protectors and the rays / mantas are more like a plague / pestilence / food source (?)
And Converge / THAN (BIG one) and Detritus all have the manta egg casings in them, and they are tiny.

So, if we are going with the theory that the "egg" is in fact an 'egg'...
I am going to go with Baker's theory of second coming of helmeted christ theory, to paraphrase.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I had Croatoan boarded and loaded in the car headed for my appointment at my framer. As I roll out of the garage I can feel I am on a rim. Come on!

Two Costco tire centers and several hours later... screw removed, tire patched and ready to head out first thing in the morning. Just checked my phone freezing rain advisory between 9pm-9am . drymount.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:I had Croatoan boarded and loaded in the car headed for my appointment at my framer. As I roll out of the garage I can feel I am on a rim. Come on!

Two Costco tire centers and several hours later... screw removed, tire patched and ready to head out first thing in the morning. Just checked my phone freezing rain advisory between 9pm-9am . drymount.
Ouch. That sucks dude. :( The framing gods are not smiling upon you this day. Better luck tomorrow (or if it freezes next week). :pint:
So it goes...
simianfever
Art Expert

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 pm

decker3984 wrote: So, if we are going with the theory that the "egg" is in fact an 'egg'...
I am going to go with Baker's theory of second coming of helmeted christ theory, to paraphrase.
If the egg is not a biological egg, it says something about the apparent downfall of humans in this world. That this luxuriously decadent piece (of art?) was crafted to withstand the test of time better than more necessary and utilitarian items such as the cart or shelter.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am

I like your style of image interpretation
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:12 am

Must have now
matt925
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:18 am

Keepin it simple. On the wall above our bed tomorrow.

bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 am

Classy. Above the bed, eh? Did you have to fight for it?
matt925
Art Connoisseur

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:28 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Classy. Above the bed, eh? Did you have to fight for it?
Not even! I used the idea from peoples interpretation's of it about how it is the grandest, elder watchdog and it will watch over us. Wife was like, ok. :lol:
UrsusMorris
Art Expert

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:33 am

Simple, yet effective. Looks good man!
mattkardish wrote:the polar bear would take the great white to the corner of jabroni drive and know your role boulevard and rock bottom his ass onto that stop sign and finish him off with the people's elbow. clearly y'all can't smell what the polar bear is cookin.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:35 am

matt925 wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:Classy. Above the bed, eh? Did you have to fight for it?
Not even! I used the idea from peoples interpretation's of it about how it is the grandest, elder watchdog and it will watch over us. Wife was like, ok. :lol:
:thumb: