FAMP Art - Awesome Movie Poster Art Releases

General art-related discussion.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:02 am

skullyland wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
summoner wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:can't do subtitles and ya cant do dubbed?! Get it together man!
When you speak the language, you dont need subtitles...
Right, the point was he doesn't speak the language, but he doesn't like subtitles, so he tried dubbed but the lips aren't matched up well so he doesn't do that either so just avoid it altogether. My point was you're missing out on really great movies.
'really great movies' is pretty subjective. For me, if a film is subtitled or dubbed (with a few exceptions) the film doesn't hold up against the 'really great movie' remark. My personal opinion. I would equate it to trying to watch the godfather with Tiny Tim Tiptoe Through The Tulips playing in the background lol
Just because it's not in English doesn't mean it can't be great. Yes, there are tons of really great movies that AREN'T in English, and the fact that you have to read subtitles to understand what they're saying has no impact on the quality of the movie.

Sorry, I'll defend that to my grave. I have a hard time understanding, as a relatively avid movie watcher, why someone wouldn't want to watch a movie just because there are subtitles. I mean, do you skip out on movies with mixed languages like Inglourious Basterds? Just wait for the American remake of others like Oldboy and Let The Right One In?? Legit statement: You're missing out on REALLY GREAT movies.
bert
Art Expert

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 am

Really great movies can only be in English, or in American. If they're in American, they're really, really great.

Reminds me of people that write off comics because "they're for children". I just shrug my shoulders and move on, it's entirely their loss.
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Info about their next release!

"I’m sure many of you are eager to see what’s next in the pipeline. Well, we won’t be saying what the film is just yet, but it will be a film that was released prior to 1960 and is considered a true global classic. We will likely be unveiling the next print the week of November 17th and putting it up on sale on the 24th or 25th. Details are still being ironed out on but expect a very limited run on it."
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:04 pm

ColeParks wrote:Info about their next release!

"I’m sure many of you are eager to see what’s next in the pipeline. Well, we won’t be saying what the film is just yet, but it will be a film that was released prior to 1960 and is considered a true global classic. We will likely be unveiling the next print the week of November 17th and putting it up on sale on the 24th or 25th. Details are still being ironed out on but expect a very limited run on it."
Fingers crossed for The Seventh Seal. Anyone else want to contribute wishful speculation? :D
MoviePosterEmpire

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:18 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:

Fingers crossed for The Seventh Seal. Anyone else want to contribute wishful speculation? :D
Battleship Potempkin.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:23 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:

Nope. Now I just really hope it's The Seventh Seal.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey guys,

Quick update. Slashfilm will be debuting our next print later this week. On sale date will be the following week (most likely Wednesday around 1pm Est) that way you can utilize black Friday sales to get a frame :D. Finalizing everything tonight. Gonna be a classy print, stay tuned.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:39 pm

FAMPart wrote:Hey guys,

Quick update. Slashfilm will be debuting our next print later this week. On sale date will be the following week (most likely Wednesday around 1pm Est) that way you can utilize black Friday sales to get a frame :D. Finalizing everything tonight. Gonna be a classy print, stay tuned.

Hints? 8)
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:02 pm

63schoeffling wrote:

Hints? 8)
well if you can't hold off, sure, here's a hint. It's one of the films on this list between 1 and 50 - http://nighthawknews.wordpress.com/2009 ... age-films/ - that should narrow the selection a little :wink:
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:46 pm

FAMPart wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:

Hints? 8)
well if you can't hold off, sure, here's a hint. It's one of the films on this list between 1 and 50 - http://nighthawknews.wordpress.com/2009 ... age-films/ - that should narrow the selection a little :wink:
#3 is The Seventh Seal. Hope remains alive! (That is certainly a list of powerhouses though)
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:48 pm

I'm praying for Vampyr! But you could close your eyes and pick from that list and it would be great.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 pm

I feel like the pressure is on. Hope we can live up to the expectations, that list really is a powerhouse.
MoviePosterEmpire

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Hint is classy. I'm going with Amelie from Durieux. That was a wicked sketch he did.
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:50 pm

MoviePosterEmpire wrote:Hint is classy. I'm going with Amelie from Durieux. That was a wicked sketch he did.
We actually know it is pre-1960. That being said I hope that happens at some point!
buddhawake
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:
FAMPart wrote:
63schoeffling wrote:

Hints? 8)
#3 is The Seventh Seal. Hope remains alive! (That is certainly a list of powerhouses though)
that would be awesome. Btw, these are the pre-1960 films in that list up to #50
1. The Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir) – 1937
2. Children of Paradise (Marcel Carne) – 1945
3. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman) – 1957
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa) – 1950
7. La Belle et la Bette (Jean Cocteau) – 1947
9. Metropolis (Fritz Lang) – 1926
10. M (Fritz Lang) – 1931
11. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa) – 1954
12. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa) – 1952
13. Throne of Blood (Akira Kurosawa) – 1957
14. The Battleship Potemkin (Sergei Eisenstein) – 1925
16. Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman) – 1957
17. The Virgin Spring (Ingmar Bergman) – 1960
18. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Wiene) – 1919
19. The Bicycyle Thief (Vittorio De Sica) – 1949
20. Smiles of a Summer Night (Ingmar Bergman) – 1955
26. The Cranes are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov) – 1957
27. Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau) – 1922
33. Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir) – 1939
34. The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut) – 1959
35. Vampyr (Carl Thedor Dreyer) – 1932
38. Stray Dog (Akira Kurosawa) – 1949
44. Forbidden Games (Rene Clement) – 1952
45. The World of Apu (Satyijat Ray) – 1959
49. Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini) – 1957

So that reduces it to 25, although I'm sure the world of Apu is not it. so let's say 24. Btw, any and all of these are fine with me.