Phish Las Vegas I 14 Millward

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:03 am

This topic is dedicated to: Phish Las Vegas I 14 Millward

Browntrout
EB Team

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:11 am

Very ugly scene at the merch stands. Lots of pushing, shoving and shouting. Coveting these prints are creating a lack of human decency and respect. It's sad
phishstix101
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:15 am

Wooks in costumes fighting for prints! Comical!!
Nice job Millward!
Browntrout
EB Team

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:36 am

phishstix101 wrote:Wooks in costumes fighting for prints! Comical!!
Nice job Millward!
I saw several folks pleading with security before 6pm doors, to let them in before everyone else because THEY had to get a poster. The sense of entitlement some people have is so discouraging
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:40 am

Same as it ever was....and some Phish fans are the absolute worst; their stink permeates the whole scene.
Thank goodness there are also a lot of awesome, friendly and courteous fans / people as well

Nice prints. Seems odd to have the same subject matter as the last time Phish played, but I also like them better than those prints as the same time
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:27 pm

A Phish set with basically no singing...
No way my poster would have made it through that.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 pm

these prints turned out better than i suspected. i really dig millward's style. would like to see more art prints from him.
ImageT.K.C.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm not a fan of these at all.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
downtown
Art Expert

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:12 am

I love Drew's work, and these are cool in many ways especially as a single night. The repetition of Phish Phish Phish in terms of the triptych concept itself is an ongoing design flaw that most of the artists who've attempted it seem not to be able to solve effectively. If you are faced with the challenge of designing a triptych that should be the first problem to solve and in most cases it seems more like an afterthought.
dkast85
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Browntrout wrote:Very ugly scene at the merch stands. Lots of pushing, shoving and shouting. Coveting these prints are creating a lack of human decency and respect. It's sad
That's very odd considering it is a print by the very overrated Millward.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:49 pm

downtown wrote:I love Drew's work, and these are cool in many ways especially as a single night. The repetition of Phish Phish Phish in terms of the triptych concept itself is an ongoing design flaw that most of the artists who've attempted it seem not to be able to solve effectively. If you are faced with the challenge of designing a triptych that should be the first problem to solve and in most cases it seems more like an afterthought.
Perhaps the bands require their name on each print? If a set is not displayed in full, the branding of their name (or lack thereof) has much less effect.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
downtown
Art Expert

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:37 am

ErocAfellar wrote:
downtown wrote:I love Drew's work, and these are cool in many ways especially as a single night. The repetition of Phish Phish Phish in terms of the triptych concept itself is an ongoing design flaw that most of the artists who've attempted it seem not to be able to solve effectively. If you are faced with the challenge of designing a triptych that should be the first problem to solve and in most cases it seems more like an afterthought.
Perhaps the bands require their name on each print? If a set is not displayed in full, the branding of their name (or lack thereof) has much less effect.
He solved the triptych title branding more creatively in this Chicago set, which makes me think there is creative freedom from the art director.
PhishDMB
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Browntrout wrote:Very ugly scene at the merch stands. Lots of pushing, shoving and shouting. Coveting these prints are creating a lack of human decency and respect. It's sad
drymounting trolls, its sad really. I don't even bother anymore, its not worth having to deal with these bums.
kushmeja
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Browntrout wrote:
phishstix101 wrote:Wooks in costumes fighting for prints! Comical!!
Nice job Millward!
I saw several folks pleading with security before 6pm doors, to let them in before everyone else because THEY had to get a poster. The sense of entitlement some people have is so discouraging
This ^^^ and the fact that Phish is well past their prime are the main reasons I don't really care much to see them anymore. There were always a few bad apples, punks and frat boys, but now they make up the majority of the "phans" on the scene. Phish has also been a cash machine since MusicToday/LiveNation took over.
drewmillward
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Evidently, I can't please everyone. Good to hear I'm overrated though, hopefully, some day, I'll get the money and fame that usually comes along with that tag.
As for the posters, I figured I'd hop on, since Downtown raised a good point. The repetition on branding is a real problem in triptychs. Sometimes there are ways around it, as with the Chicago posters, in these cases, the brief was handed down. The playing card theme left very little room to, for want of a better term, hide the text. Repetition is something that is inherent with a pack of cards, so seemed applicable in this case.
There are also the usual concerns with posters that the 'brand' needs to be front and centre, so it's usually mentioned in the brief, or tackled at sketch stages, but it's rare that text/band names are ever requested to be smaller or more subtle.
Cheers folks.