THE VACVVM: Official Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:49 pm

mfaith wrote:
HappaHaoli wrote:I pledge allegiance to the void...
mfaith wrote:Image
Oh my god... This cracked me the drymount up! :lol:

So awesome. :notworthy:
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:52 pm

Tapecat wrote:Too Metal.....Pffft....The frame job that has the lettering on the gig poster matted out is OUTSTANDING...

It ain't metal...when the lettering is gone...it's NATURE! :wink:

Nature in Decay is AWESOME.
heh - too each their own :)

hopefully there will be more timed editions and the like from Aaron in the future - still a great start to this endeavour (albeit one that leaves me feeing annoyed with myself for not setting those damned twitter notifications for the Vacvvm)
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't recall anyone bitching, Craig. ???

Fitz, I didn't get a notification via twitter. I rec'd an email notification because I signed-up for their newsletter.

I don't get twitter announcements pushed to my phone. I get all twitter posts for those I follow via tweetymail/email notifications. I like it better that way, even though it's old school. Mind you, I don't get immediate notifications - so, I miss a lot of random drops...some of those hurt.
Last edited by IWish on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:56 pm

fitz wrote:
decker3984 wrote:
IWish wrote:Don't take offense, decker. As we all know...tastes differ.
Dude, no offense taken. See my post just one post after quoting you own. :wink:
Its just too "metal" for my tastes - maybe in my younger days I would have gone for it but as I slide into middle age I am a lot more limited in terms of what I can get away with hanging on the walls :)
It seems you and I are on opposing trajectories! :lol:

I honestly was *not* a metal fan as a kid. But I am totally growing into it now as an adult approaching middle age!
I seriously want to take my 8 yr old son to see Pelican at Fun Fun Fun Fest! I honestly don't know if he'd like it...
But I just gave him the poster this morning and I think it would be awesome for him to have the experience!

But my daughter... Who is kind of a little bit "goth" without the labels, I am totally trying to turn her into a metalhead.
But not that shitty manufactured by a marketing dept, boy band screamo fudge she listens to on Pandora constantly...
Good Metal! :twisted:

edit: And I guess the flip side of that coin is... I guess I am lucky that the ONLY thing(s) my wife has EVER put her foot down
on from Aaron are ANY of the Pushead collaborative prints. But I *think* I may get away with framing the grey set form Hyper
for my son's room for Xmas!
:lol:
fitz wrote:as an aside, are the tshirts and hoodies also limited? I just saw that the Horkey Hooodie had sold out?
It appears you would be correct in your assumption. :wink:
Last edited by decker3984 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
Drumavarium
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:58 pm

Tapecat wrote:Nature in Decay is AWESOME.
This.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Drumavarium wrote:
Tapecat wrote:Nature IS Decay. AWESOME.
This.
:wink:
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Tapecat wrote:Too Metal.....Pffft....The frame job that has the lettering on the gig poster matted out is OUTSTANDING...

It ain't metal...when the lettering is gone...it's NATURE! :wink:

Nature in Decay is AWESOME.
The lettering is why I never picked it up. I liked the image but not the lettering, unlike the Mogwai where I feel the lettering adds to the print.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 pm

I left the lettering when I framed mine up b/c: ONE) I love the band :twisted:
TWO) I think it fits perfectly in a way with their music that only Aaron could have come up with

Now, did he use the SAME style of lettering previously with Converge on the shrouded beast with
pink lipstick poster... Yes, he did. But I think on that one it was just meant to go with the detritus
/ decay of the dilapidated farm house the beast was standing in... Which if I could stand to listen
to *their* music... Might fit Converge perfectly?? I wouldn't be the one to answer that.

To each their own. In art and music...
Which is mildly redundant. :wink:
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:21 pm

decker3984 wrote:I left the lettering when I framed mine up b/c: ONE) I love the band :twisted:
TWO) I think it fits perfectly in a way with their music that only Aaron could have come up with

Now, did he use the SAME style of lettering previously with Converge on the shrouded beast with
pink lipstick poster... Yes, he did. But I think on that one it was just meant to go with the detritus
/ decay of the dilapidated farm house the beast was standing in... Which if I could stand to listen
to *their* music... Might fit Converge perfectly?? I wouldn't be the one to answer that.

Agreed, but the one thing that amazes me is Aaron's art can get me to hang posters from bands which I would NEVER listen to.
MagiaOrganica
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:21 pm

decker3984 wrote:I left the lettering when I framed mine up b/c: ONE) I love the band :twisted:

It does
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Okay, speaking of Agalloch and the GIG poster not the current timed ed art print...
I am just throwing this out there, I have a friend who was with me at the show in Austin
where the grey band version of the print was first released / unveiled...

He got the #1 and #2 copies. I believe #2 went to another friend of ours...
Anyway, I think I got number #3-8 and kept three and sold the rest at cost to some
good dudes and fans of Aaron's here on the boards. Anyway, point being...

Aaron *does* curate his prints. Meaning whether is is band copies, artist copies
or APs... He goest through EVERY single copy in the run and sorts them with what
he believes to be the BEST at the front of the edition and well, you get the rest.

Anyway, I guess he is in a bind (financially) and has the #1 copy from the show
and is asking $300 for it. If you are interested hit up shivashakti.

I think he also has a Cache AP (i think?), that he is asking the same price for.

I don't know if this is the place for such things. Hopefully, I am not breaking EB
decorum. It seems a few things have changed since I was really posting last,
roughly a yr ago. Or at least with regard to FS thread. Is what it is.

Cheers...

And carry on. :pint:
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:26 pm

snowrs wrote:Agreed, but the one thing that amazes me is Aaron's art can get me to hang posters from bands which I would NEVER listen to.
Oh yeah... As stated previously, I can't stand Converge.

Crappy cell phone pics. :?
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Better resolution, but a bunch of glare. Oh well! :lol:
snowrs
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:27 pm

decker3984 wrote:
snowrs wrote:Agreed, but the one thing that amazes me is Aaron's art can get me to hang posters from bands which I would NEVER listen to.
Oh yeah... As stated previously, I can't stand Converge.

Crappy cell phone pics. :?
I cheated with that one, I have Naif hanging
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28 pm

And thanks to noweyesee for making me fall in love with this moulding! :cheers: