Movie Print of the Year

General art-related discussion.
degalb17
Art Enthusiast

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am

With just about two months left what do you guys think are the top 5 Movie Prints of the year? I would have to go with:

1. Jungle Book- Moss
2. Ghost in the Shell (Foil) -Ansin
3. The Birds - Laurent Durieux
4. The Good The Bad and The Ugly - Weston
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Variant - Stout
Last edited by degalb17 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:)
Greatplainsman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 am

Easy Question!
David Welker's; Dazed & Confused
Brian2013
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 am

I don't see why Moss is even on that list. The Jungle book is good but not omfg worthy. My guess is you have him listed because of the artists name and not the actually piece. Brandon Holts Jungle Book is exceptionally better than The Moss.

I do agree with The Good The Bad and The Ugly. That commissioned piece is amazing.
by Codeblue

But he LOVES the show Big Brother, and premixed margaritas in foil packs.
degalb17
Art Enthusiast

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:54 am

Brandon Holts piece is beautiful and more technical sure, but I felt that Moss captured the movie perfectly. It was my personal favorite print of the year. In my opinion less is more (most of the time). What do you think the top 5 are?
:)
bert
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 am

I think the Moss JB is great, it would make it into my top 5 for sure.
heythatsmybike
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:10 pm

bert wrote:I think the Moss JB is great, it would make it into my top 5 for sure.
Image Imagedrop. drink. repeat.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Brian2013 wrote:I don't see why Moss is even on that list. The Jungle book is good but not omfg worthy. My guess is you have him listed because of the artists name and not the actually piece. Brandon Holts Jungle Book is exceptionally better than The Moss.

I do agree with The Good The Bad and The Ugly. That commissioned piece is amazing.
I like the Moss better than the Holt. And I really don't like the circles at the bottom of TGTBATU piece or the cartoony Mad magazine look of it.

Opinions man...
Brian2013
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 pm

I think the Moss is a awesome piece dont get me wrong. I went to that event and the majority of people in line were there to flip it because it's Moss, not because of it's amazingness. Holt's Jungle Book and Taylor's Alice I felt were the best of that Disney show. Whalen's work was fantastic as well. That's just my opinion you are right. I felt Brandon Holt came out of nowhere with that Jungle Book and almost everyone I heard at the gallery was saying the best of show was Holt even though he is not a named flipper and people were saying his ink work was right below that of a Horkey piece as far as technically executed.
by Codeblue

Creation88
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 pm

GITS- foil
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Gonna wait 2 months to post.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Brian2013 wrote:I think the Moss is a awesome piece dont get me wrong. I went to that event and the majority of people in line were there to flip it because it's Moss, not because of it's amazingness. Holt's Jungle Book and Taylor's Alice I felt were the best of that Disney show. Whalen's work was fantastic as well. That's just my opinion you are right. I felt Brandon Holt came out of nowhere with that Jungle Book and almost everyone I heard at the gallery was saying the best of show was Holt even though he is not a named flipper and people were saying his ink work was right below that of a Horkey piece as far as technically executed.
If you think the Moss piece is awesome, then you should be able to believe that dgalb17 chose the piece because it actually appeals to him, not "because of the artists name and not the actually piece." I don't mean to pick a bone, but to accuse him of that in a thread he started merely to spark up real movie poster/art conversation seems silly. There were a lot of awesome posters this year and he put it at the top of his (solid) list. I'm sure it has more to do with the art than the artist's name.

Back to the art discussion. I'm not a Moss fanatic, but I think JB is right up there (or close behind) the Star Wars set, Evil Dead, and Lawrence of Arabia.

Posted this back in March:
RottenAtom wrote:Moss Jungle Book vs Holt Jungle Book is a tough call. Normally, I drift towards the illustrators (like Holt) and not as much towards the 'cool concept graphic design guys' (like Olly).

This is a rare instance of me preferring Olly's graphic design approach to Brandon's illustrator style. Brandon's piece is technically stunning. The linework is amazing and it looks sharp in person. My problem is that it lacks heart. I don't see any passion when I look at it and I don't see Disney's The Jungle Book. Olly's piece embodies the Disney film and while his witty approach doesn't always work for me, I think it's spot on here.

I love that both pieces were in the show. There's so many ways one can tackle a property and it's cool to see both approaches.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Still narrowing it down from these tasty 8.

Durieux The Birds (pier)
Durieux Rear Window (variant)
Durieux Forbidden Planet (variant)
Eng 2001 (reg)
Landrum True Grit (reg)
Ansin Ghost in the Shell (foil)
Moss Jungle Book
Kelly The Sword in the Stone
Brian2013
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:20 pm

@RottenAtom I agree, it's all opinions and personal preference anyways:)
by Codeblue

ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:37 pm

iambillyg wrote:Gonna wait 2 months to post.
:shock:

Oh fudge!! Billy knows something!
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:39 pm

heythatsmybike wrote:
bert wrote:I think the Moss JB is great, it would make it into my top 5 for sure.
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days