General art-related discussion.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Thanks!
bmerel
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:36 am

Show will be up on Galerie F website tomorrow (Monday) at 2pm cst.

edit:

Details:

http://411posters.com/2014/10/galerie-f ... ger-tiger/
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:54 am

Oh yeah, definitely will be going for a couple of these.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am

oof dude.......

the guy obviously has some illustration chops, but he's just making knock offs. It's like walking down the street and seeing someone selling gold Rallex watches for cheap.

it's one thing to steal another artist's style, it's a whole other thing to not only steal their style but to then try and steal their handwriting. He even does the same "dinged up" or dented treatment to the type / ornamentation. It'd be like trying to dress and look like someone else, when people try and look like celebrities... you get the same haircut, same clothes, you even get plastic surgery to look like the person, but then the icing on the cake would be if you then got your fingerprints surgically altered to look like the other person's... and then go around acting like you are a unique original person and try and act like the rest of us have never seen the person you're mimicking

if he didn't try and do the exact same lettering and lettering ornamentation, it wouldn't be as bad a rip off... it'd still be just copying another artist's entire style, but dude needs to stop doing horkey's lettering... the pieces where there's no lettering, while still obviously horkey knock offs, are slightly less offensive

artists often wear their influences on their sleeves, but that's entirely different from just ripping the sleeves off another artist and trying to wear them as your own.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 am

Brad, you certainly have a good point!

EDIT: This ....

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

sidewaysscott wrote:Brad, you certainly have a good point!

EDIT: This ....

exactly

the pieces in the show on the last page are great illustrations... interesting compositions... but he needs to come up with his own lettering style... and figure out a way to make clouds in his own style... one of the pieces even has a bird on a branch with a red string hanging off it

guy has some skill... just needs to find his own path to walk down
ZLandrum
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 am

bk wrote:
the pieces in the show on the last page are great illustrations... interesting compositions... but he needs to come up with his own lettering style... and figure out a way to make clouds in his own style... one of the pieces even has a bird on a branch with a red string hanging off it

guy has some skill... just needs to find his own path to walk down
The owl/birds with no eyes too..
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:07 am

bk wrote:oof dude.......

the guy obviously has some illustration chops, but he's just making knock offs. It's like walking down the street and seeing someone selling gold Rallex watches for cheap.

it's one thing to steal another artist's style, it's a whole other thing to not only steal their style but to then try and steal their handwriting. He even does the same "dinged up" or dented treatment to the type / ornamentation. It'd be like trying to dress and look like someone else, when people try and look like celebrities... you get the same haircut, same clothes, you even get plastic surgery to look like the person, but then the icing on the cake would be if you then got your fingerprints surgically altered to look like the other person's... and then go around acting like you are a unique original person and try and act like the rest of us have never seen the person you're mimicking

if he didn't try and do the exact same lettering and lettering ornamentation, it wouldn't be as bad a rip off... it'd still be just copying another artist's entire style, but dude needs to stop doing horkey's lettering... the pieces where there's no lettering, while still obviously horkey knock offs, are slightly less offensive

artists often wear their influences on their sleeves, but that's entirely different from just ripping the sleeves off another artist and trying to wear them as your own.
I wrote a similar yet softer appraisal in this thread last week and then deleted it. But now that Brad had made this post I have to agree to a large extent.
Andrew has drawing chops but would do well to (at this stage of his career) take some giant leaps away from these Horkey homages.
simianfever
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 am

bk wrote: guy has some skill... just needs to find his own path to walk down
bk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:43 am

downtown wrote:

I wrote a similar yet softer appraisal in this thread last week and then deleted it. But now that Brad had made this post I have to agree to a large extent.
Andrew has drawing chops but would do well to (at this stage of his career) take some giant leaps away from these Horkey homages.
some times you can't sugar coat things...

there will always be artists that do something better then you. That doings things in a way that you wish you did things. When I am working on pieces there's often times where i think "oh this drawing / concept would be so much better if so and so was drawing it" or I try and think "how would so and so draw this?" and then try and make myself draw like them... but then you realize wait no, how would I draw this? It's one of the best moments when you realize that no one does what you do. Even if your technical skills are crap, if you only draw stick figures, no one will draw them exactly the same way you do. I wish I drew like aaron or ken taylor or james jean or a number of different artists... but I draw like me... and at some point you have to realize that if you stick to your own creative instincts, no one will draw like you and that's how you find your own voice.

it's like playing guitar... there's players whose sound you love. So you try and figure out how they get that sound, you buy the same pedals, same amp, same guitar... but then you just sound like someone trying to sound like someone else instead of sounding like yourself.
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 am

FINALLY somebody said it...

I've been watching this guy for a few years, hoping he would "grow out of it" but with this show it seems he's embracing it more than ever.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

the dog / wolf piece is a great piece

great illustration great composition interesting shapes good colors

lose the lettering on the bottom and that illustration gets to stand more on it's own (though still clearly very horkey-esque)
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Takes time sometimes. Budich has distanced himself a good bit from Stout, in time I am sure Ghrist will do the same with Horkey. But to tell you the truth, these are killer, even if they are a little too horkey-esque for people's liking. At least the compositions are original and he isnt blatantly stealing or tracing from others. Some credit is certainly due.
bk
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

jrsheppa wrote:Takes time sometimes. Budich has distanced himself a good bit from Stout, in time I am sure Ghrist will do the same with Horkey. But to tell you the truth, these are killer, even if they are a little too horkey-esque for people's liking. At least the compositions are original and he isnt blatantly stealing or tracing from others. Some credit is certainly due.

credit is certainly due... no one is denying that
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 pm

bk wrote:
downtown wrote:

some times you can't sugar coat things...

there will always be artists that do something better then you. That doings things in a way that you wish you did things. When I am working on pieces there's often times where i think "oh this drawing / concept would be so much better if so and so was drawing it" or I try and think "how would so and so draw this?" and then try and make myself draw like them... but then you realize wait no, how would I draw this? It's one of the best moments when you realize that no one does what you do. Even if your technical skills are crap, if you only draw stick figures, no one will draw them exactly the same way you do. I wish I drew like aaron or ken taylor or james jean or a number of different artists... but I draw like me... and at some point you have to realize that if you stick to your own creative instincts, no one will draw like you and that's how you find your own voice.

it's like playing guitar... there's players whose sound you love. So you try and figure out how they get that sound, you buy the same pedals, same amp, same guitar... but then you just sound like someone trying to sound like someone else instead of sounding like yourself.
Inspiring. Thank you BK