JC Richard - Art of, Discussion, Releases and Appreciation.

General art-related discussion.
ctankep
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:06 pm

+1 no brainer!
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm a big fan of JC but that image seems weirdly balanced to me.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
thefiend5
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:14 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I'm a big fan of JC but that image seems weirdly balanced to me.

did you buy it?
applehead
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:14 pm

ctankep wrote:+1 no brainer!
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm

thefiend5 wrote:

did you buy it?
Was tempted but the weird balance of the image threw me off. Don't mean to be too critical since I love JC's work, will gladly defend the chaotic nature of his style, and have several of his pieces (his Walden was one of my first prints and is one of my most cherished). Just wondering if anybody else noticed/felt it or if it was just me (which is totally fine, don't always have to agree with everybody taste-wise).
charter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Metallics on the light beam would be amazing.
ctankep
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
thefiend5 wrote:

did you buy it?
Was tempted but the weird balance of the image threw me off. Don't mean to be too critical since I love JC's work, will gladly defend the chaotic nature of his style, and have several of his pieces (his Walden was one of my first prints and is one of my most cherished). Just wondering if anybody else noticed/felt it or if it was just me (which is totally fine, don't always have to agree with everybody taste-wise).
It does feel kind of right-side-heavy if that's what you mean, but imho I think that it's intentional due to the scene itself. That whole room is pretty focused on the city layout and there's not much of anything behind Indy. I think it's a great recreation of the scene - even the hieroglyphics look to be spot on!

jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm

ctankep wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:
thefiend5 wrote:

did you buy it?
It does feel kind of right-side-heavy if that's what you mean, but imho I think that it's intentional due to the scene itself. That whole room is pretty focused on the city layout and there's not much of anything behind Indy. I think it's a great recreation of the scene - even the hieroglyphics look to be spot on!

I'm cool with the weight on the right side, it's more the left side being both empty and seemingly just as deep as the right that's throwing me a little. Even in the scene you linked, the area behind Indy didn't feel as deep as in front (see the shot at 1:02). Just feels a little off to me personally, especially since JC's done a great job with that 12x36 aspect ratio and taking advantage of the far ends (The Last Rebel, for instance) that I got a little thrown off by Indy being close to dead center and all that space behind him (image left) making his front (image right) feel heavier. Would love to hear JC's thoughts though.

That all said, JC's level of detail is still phenomenal, and metallics on that thing would be killer. Congrats to those who scored, hope we get some pics from Mondo-Con...
ctankep
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Ahh, I see what you mean. Maybe he wanted to leave room for autograph-seekers? :P
microcosmicmedia
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:45 pm

ctankep wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:
thefiend5 wrote:
did you buy it?
Yeah this is basically what I would have written myself.. the image's focus is meant to be on the entirety of the set piece, not on Indy or the floor model action. Some of the room/mural proportions were fudged slightly here and there to help the layout but I tried to keep it as accurate to the film as possible
fwiw it's also the first of a series, and the real trick will be making sure the layouts all look nice and balanced when hung together.

And thanks everyone who purchased-- these should be ready to ship the week after I get back from the Con-
hope to see some of you there... everyone is wearing their EB nametag with screenname and join date right?
lujborg
Art Expert

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:51 pm

microcosmicmedia wrote:everyone is wearing their EB nametag with screenname and join date right?
how else will the vets know who to ridicule in person :lol:
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:56 pm

microcosmicmedia wrote:
Yeah this is basically what I would have written myself.. the image's focus is meant to be on the entirety of the set piece, not on Indy or the floor model action. Some of the room/mural proportions were fudged slightly here and there to help the layout but I tried to keep it as accurate to the film as possible
fwiw it's also the first of a series, and the real trick will be making sure the layouts all look nice and balanced when hung together.

And thanks everyone who purchased-- these should be ready to ship the week after I get back from the Con-
hope to see some of you there... everyone is wearing their EB nametag with screenname and join date right?
Thanks JC! Didn't mean to nitpick, was just surprised since my assumption of the print based on your preview skewed closer to your Last Rebel layout. It helps me at least to know that the intention was more on the set piece than the movie scene's inherent focal point (the scale map). Means I should just enjoy the detail on the wall behind him instead of wondering what should go there. :P It'll probably make more sense to me when I can see the rest of the series and how it'll balance out on a wall, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!

Have fun at MondoCon! :pint:
dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:06 am

MatchsMalone wrote:Image
Is there really no love for this TMNT piece? I like the Whalen and the Kelly too, but this one just kicks ass! Well done JC!
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:15 am

dinkydoggy wrote:
MatchsMalone wrote:Image
Is there really no love for this TMNT piece? I like the Whalen and the Kelly too, but this one just kicks ass! Well done JC!
:clap:
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Love the Raiders print. Scored one!
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view