Lil Groot 14 Collier

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Who cares?
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:54 pm

The all important question really is: Will it flip?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:59 pm

So, I'd like to address a few points here.

Firstly, this is an art forum and this is a specific section of it for discussing art. I know, what a novel idea. Actually attempting to have an intelligent discussion about art on EB.

Also, I have no idea who bathroommonkey is or what he was trying to convey with his post. I'm not trying to start a drama war or make personal accounts.

Just because I'm critical of something doesn't make me a hater or a peanut gallery. People who come in and post popcorn gifs or making personal attacks are the ones who fit those roles.

At the time of Mike's Marvel show with Mondo Derek created a number of imitation Marvel themed JLU's. I personally thought that was in very poor form and showed a lack of decorum on Derek's part. Note that I never made any sort of comment whatsoever referencing a cash grab or accusing Derek of such. That's you guys putting words in my mouth (Though I think you're more referencing what bathroommonkey said more than I). As far as I know Derek's "JLU's" were never printed; I don't know. Regardless, that's not my point. I don't care about the money. It doesn't matter to me if Derek did this for free or made a million dollars off it. Olly made bank but he did so executing an idea in his own original style. My gripe with this release is that it was not done in one's own original style but instead appears to be ripping off another artist.

Here's one of the examples I was referring to that Derek has done in the past. I can't find the Marvel ones he did during Mike's show but I know there's a Hulk and some other superhero he had done that's floating around.
Image Image
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I understand where you are coming from but even that JLU fan art of Derek's and his Groot bear little to no resemblance to one another. It seems to me that by making this into a 'he is ripping off this one particular artist' in regards to the Groot, there is the insinuation that MM has license over all mini prints of characters in pop culture. Clearly this was not done in the JLU style, it is just a mini print. Lots of artists are currently doing them and Mitchell certainly didn't invent it. If you have an issue with him making JLU fan art for fun, that is a different story, but they are two separate situations in my book. Just making a small print of a pop culture personality does not a rip off make. To me anyway.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I completely get what you're saying Kram. I guess we're just viewing the artwork in question slightly differently. While the Groot might not fit in with the "theme" of the JLU's (Fun, large headed characters portrayed in unconventional situations, and so on) I feel the style/execution/medium has a lot of overlap. Granted, that's just my opinion though. I can also totally understand that some people might not agree and don't think they're related. If he had never made the JLU's to begin with I might not have noticed the similarities so I can see where you're coming from. I just wanted to point it out because it seemed like he was toeing some dangerous waters.
Image Image
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

There are definitely similarities and I can appreciate where you are coming from as well. In my eyes, this pop culture art print stuff has become so ubiquitous that it is hard for me to separate them out and make direct comparisons. It seems they all have some degree of similarity. Opinions are just that though, right? :pint: I certainly don't think less of you for yours, D.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:10 pm

アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:16 pm

The Groot I feel is absolutely different (no big head for one thing). I get the idea that you felt the MM JLU stuff was in "poor form," but part of Derek's reason for doing some of those illustrations in that style was actually for the MM Marvel show and just as a bit of fun/dedication/appreciation. Admittedly part of that context requires having some idea of what the guy's like, and I can only really attest to it via the FB group.

Funny thing is, feels like if the paper choice for this was different, it'd be much easier to differentiate from a JLU. :P
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Froilan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:19 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Everyone goes all OMG ISO over the Moss Rocket and Groot (which Moss made thousands of dollars in profit on), and get's butthurt about this? Come on people...I believe they call that a double standard

:pint:
"... and then for one of them to come out and call out another artist for contributing to the over-saturated world of uninspired lazy art…" - Brad Klausen
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:30 pm

dsanacore wrote:So, I'd like to address a few points here.

Firstly, this is an art forum and this is a specific section of it for discussing art. I know, what a novel idea. Actually attempting to have an intelligent discussion about art on EB.

Also, I have no idea who bathroommonkey is or what he was trying to convey with his post. I'm not trying to start a drama war or make personal accounts.

Just because I'm critical of something doesn't make me a hater or a peanut gallery. People who come in and post popcorn gifs or making personal attacks are the ones who fit those roles.

At the time of Mike's Marvel show with Mondo Derek created a number of imitation Marvel themed JLU's. I personally thought that was in very poor form and showed a lack of decorum on Derek's part. Note that I never made any sort of comment whatsoever referencing a cash grab or accusing Derek of such. That's you guys putting words in my mouth (Though I think you're more referencing what bathroommonkey said more than I). As far as I know Derek's "JLU's" were never printed; I don't know. Regardless, that's not my point. I don't care about the money. It doesn't matter to me if Derek did this for free or made a million dollars off it. Olly made bank but he did so executing an idea in his own original style. My gripe with this release is that it was not done in one's own original style but instead appears to be ripping off another artist.

Here's one of the examples I was referring to that Derek has done in the past. I can't find the Marvel ones he did during Mike's show but I know there's a Hulk and some other superhero he had done that's floating around.
His previous prints were satire. Just like when MAD comics satires Frank Miller's Dark Night, nobody is outraged that they were duplicating Miller's blocky shadowed negative space style, cuz it was clearly to poke fun at it. He never represented himself as those being his style, or worse pretended they were done by the original artist, it was joke poking fun. Then to try and connect this work to those Mitchell prints is ridiculous. It is nothing alike, to say otherwise is embarrassing.

Now you ambush the guy here when he puts up his first bit of real art, that's pretty uncool. It's like ambushing a singer at their first record deal sponsored live event waving around old videos of them singing karaoke and yelling that its proof they're a fraud.

You honestly just took a giant dump on what should be a special moment for this artist. Shame on you, the artist is a really good guy and you took this away from him. I'm not sure what sort of apology would make this any better, but I'd do my best to figure it out of I was you. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Last edited by biscocrack420 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froilan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Navinabob wrote:

Well. Well. :pint:

His previous prints were satire. Just like when MAD comics satires Frank Miller's Dark Night, nobody is outraged that they were duplicating Miller's blocky shadowed negative space style, cuz it was clearly to poke fun at it. He never represented himself as those being his style, or worse pretended they were done by the original artist, it was joke poking fun. Then to try and connect this work to those Mitchell prints is ridiculous. It is nothing alike, to say otherwise is embarrassing.

Now you ambush the guy here when he puts up his first bit of real art, that's pretty uncool. It's like ambushing a singer at their first record deal sponsored live event waving around old videos of them singing karaoke and yelling that its proof they're a fraud.

You honestly just took a giant dump on what should be a special moment for this artist. Shame on you, the artist is a really good guy and you took this away from him. I'm not sure what sort of apology would make this any better, but I'd do my best to figure it out of I was you. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
"... and then for one of them to come out and call out another artist for contributing to the over-saturated world of uninspired lazy art…" - Brad Klausen
soleblazer
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Navinabob wrote:

:clap:
cbxcamel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:01 pm

soleblazer wrote:
Navinabob wrote:

:clap:
Listen to Bob Marley!
dsanacore
Art Expert

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Obviously we see things a little differently. I also completely disagree with the following, "Then to try and connect this work to those Mitchell prints is ridiculous. It is nothing alike, to say otherwise is embarrassing."

I'm sorry if I hurt your friend's feelings but my opinion stands.

I offered criticism and my opinion. I in no way personally attacked Derek. There's a certain irony when a group of people make a facebook group to complain about "all of the terrible people on EB" and then proceed to personally attack someone because they weren't as accepting of their friends art. Kramerica and jkw3000 were the only two who came to Derek's defense in a mature manner and for that I am grateful.
Image Image