Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
Crash607
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 28, 2014 11:03 pm

matowest wrote:
Crash607 wrote:Man, there is no poster I wanted released more than The Matrix... I'm so majorly let down...
If there's one guarantee, it's that we will absolutely see more Matrix posters from Mondo.

Yea, thanks for lightening the mood haha
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed May 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Mondo does not make prints exclusively for the EB crowd or the same old collectors. I love how there are a variety of Alien prints to choose from. Put yourself in the shoes of a new print collector who loves Alien and you'll see what I mean. None of the Mondo Alien prints look alike.

Also, more Alien does not mean less of franchise X or Y. Mondo has plenty of fans that will buy the prints even if the usual collectors don't.

Not really seeing the downside here for old collectors, new customers, or Mondo. Hell, if an artist is offered Alien, and they have a good concept, bring it on.
Last edited by bulkhead72 on Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Wed May 28, 2014 11:14 pm

matowest wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:IDK about you but I think we need at least 20 more Alien prints.
Not to be this guy, but I'd trade nearly all of the existing Alien/Aliens/Prometheus prints for one really nice Alien Resurrection print.
Ftfy.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Wonder how many people on this thread have seen French Connection?
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 pm

^ Not sure why that matters. One of the great things about this hobby is that it introduces people to movies they've never seen before.
matowest
Art Expert

Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm

chisoxfan2424 wrote:
matowest wrote:
Timbrh2001 wrote:IDK about you but I think we need at least 20 more Alien prints.
Not to be this guy, but I'd trade nearly all of the existing Alien/Aliens/Prometheus prints for one really nice Alien Resurrection print.
Ftfy.
Haha nope
soam24
Art Freak

Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 pm

matowest wrote:
Crash607 wrote:Man, there is no poster I wanted released more than The Matrix... I'm so majorly let down...
If there's one guarantee, it's that we will absolutely see more Matrix posters from Mondo.
LOL
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:^ Not sure why that matters. One of the great things about this hobby is that it introduces people to movies they've never seen before.
Just a question.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Timbrh2001 wrote:
charter wrote:The real question is...will they skimp on likeness and billing blocks because it's cheaper.

I wish Mondo would go back to getting a license, doing a series, and then moving on to something else. I hate when we see a Predator poster every few months and keep wondering when the next Jurassic Park print is going to come along. I don't even think they finished their Star Trek series or director series. When was the last Gilliam movie print?
IDK about you but I think we need at least 20 more Alien prints.
Well, considering A L I E N has never had a poster since it's release with the likenesses of the crew, it is about time we get one. Stout would do just fine.
Count
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 am

Chandler53 wrote:Wonder how many people on this thread have seen French Connection?
Probably about the same number who have seen Taxi Driver when the Ansin poster came out, which is not very many.
mcnail
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 am

charter wrote:The real question is...will they skimp on likeness and billing blocks because it's cheaper.
There isn't really ever tiered pricing, studios either have them available or not.
Cheers
charter
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 am

mcnail wrote:
There isn't really ever tiered pricing, studios either have them available or not.
Cheers
Thanks for the insight. Has there been times when the studio wanted too much money for these things and Mondo declined? Does Mondo have Jurassic Park likeness so I can let that dream die or live on?
Awesome
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:27 am

charter wrote:
mcnail wrote:
Cheers
Thanks for the insight. Has there been times when the studio wanted too much money for these things and Mondo declined? Does Mondo have Jurassic Park likeness so I can let that dream die or live on?
I gave up on that Stout Jurassic Park a long time ago.
Count
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 am

I think the problem with likeness rights is that they often reside with the actor. This is usually not a problem for newly released films as actors typically allow studios to use their likenesses for marketing and promotional material (which can include Mondo posters), but for older films likeness becomes an issue. That is my own limited understanding anyway.
charter
Art Expert

Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 am

Count wrote:I think the problem with likeness rights is that they often reside with the actor. This is usually not a problem for newly released films as actors typically allow studios to use their likenesses for marketing and promotional material (which can include Mondo posters), but for older films likeness becomes an issue. That is my own limited understanding anyway.
I had thought (from reading other artists postings here) and from my limited understanding, that you can chose to not have actor's likenesses or go the route of getting the rights if both options were on the table. I would think that there would be a cost difference, whether that be money or time, by either getting all likenesses or none. Otherwise, if there is no price difference then art boutiques would chose full likeness for everything (if it was available). But...that may be totally wrong.