Olly Moss gets his own thread

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
bulkhead72
Art Expert
Posts: 9504
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 am

Olly, have you seen The Wind Rises yet? Would love a print for it some day.
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:12 am

jimbobiii wrote:
Superfro33 wrote:
MovieManJeff1012 wrote: There you go Olly...one of your biggest fans and he is begging you to not sell as a set!! Bring on the blind packages :twisted:

Honestly growing up collecting baseball cards (which is hundreds if not thousands), it is way more fun chasing then it is buying a set. No accomplishmnet to just buying!
Some of us have to rely on the actual luck of the random draw though and not just pull favors from our hookups at the distributor. :pint:
I wish I had a hook-up. Wouldn't have had to buy double digit blind boxes!
Wouldn't you just sell the spares on eBay or here (and for a profit)?

I would rather olly get my money than people trying to charge me 4 or 5 times the cover price for the ones I am missing


edit: That said as I can live without having them all I would be happy if there were a blindbox option so I could just buy one or two packs and be happy with what I had (as I CBA with buying 20 packs and then dealing with ebay) but if the option is there to get the full set in one go then I will probably go for that despite the expense.
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 am

I don't participate in the secondary, but this is going to be interesting to watch - I'm going to have to follow the after market on this one, for sure.

That is...if blindboxes are the only other option (other than complete sets) - I've a suspicion that there will be a few purchasers who, seemingly, had exceptionally good luck getting rares.
User avatar
potatobroth
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 am

IWish wrote:seemingly, had exceptionally good luck getting rares.
didn't he say the proportions would all be the same? ie: none rarer than others?
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:28 am

potatobroth wrote:
IWish wrote:seemingly, had exceptionally good luck getting rares.
didn't he say the proportions would all be the same? ie: none rarer than others?
correct, there are no "rares"
User avatar
mcgraw23
Art Expert
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Location: ATX

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 am

fitz wrote: correct, there are no "rares"
Image
A Lannister always pays his debts.
IWish
Art Expert
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:32 am

No rares, that's good. My mistake, I didn't know Olly made that decision...I thought this was still to be determined.
User avatar
starkdesign
Art Expert
Posts: 5747
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 am
Location: TX
Contact:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Olly, have you played Wind Waker yet? Would love a print for it some day.
:wink:
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
User avatar
omgkitty
Art Expert
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:43 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Olly, have you seen The Wind Rises yet? Would love a print for it some day.
He said on Twitter it was probably his favorite Miyazaki film.
Olly Moss ‏@ollymoss Feb 28

Still decompressing after The Wind Rises, but I think it might be my favourite Miyazaki film. Completely stunning.
Nemesis01
Art Expert
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:47 am

I really hope Olly finds time to do all of the ghibli series...and although I love his newer ghibli works I hope they are more in line with the totoro, princess mononoke styles as they look great together. Nausicaa print would be my grail right now :drool:
User avatar
omgkitty
Art Expert
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 am

Nemesis01 wrote:I really hope Olly finds time to do all of the ghibli series...and although I love his newer ghibli works I hope they are more in line with the totoro, princess mononoke styles as they look great together. Nausicaa print would be my grail right now :drool:
While I like Mononoke, I feel like it's the weakest of the 4. I think Olly felt slightly constrained to stick to the same style he did with Totoro, and perhaps didn't turn out as strong as it might have if he had a little more freedom with it. Of course this is all conjecture and I could be completely wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.
Nemesis01
Art Expert
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:02 am

Yeah its all preference I guess. I agree that monoke isn't necessarily the best of the series but I guess I am a set/theme kind of guy so I like how the Totoro and Mononoke look displayed together...even howls can sort of fit into the theme slightly. Sadly although spirited away was probably my most hyped Olly Ghibli print at the time for some reason I was let down by it. Not to say it isn't a great piece of art but it I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting and did not see it going with the other Moss prints I have. Have not seen it in person though so I am sure one day it may grow on me.
User avatar
Vedderman23
Art Expert
Posts: 2647
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Clarksburg, WV

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 am

Any updates on the True Detective 5x5s? First time buying any of Olly's smaller prints, wasn't sure how long the timeframe usually goes for those.
User avatar
shigysan
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 am
Location: UK, England

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:32 am

Vedderman23 wrote:Any updates on the True Detective 5x5s? First time buying any of Olly's smaller prints, wasn't sure how long the timeframe usually goes for those.
The Breaking Bad 5x5s took a while to ship out to everyone (3 months). There hasn't been any news on edition size or when they will ship.
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 am

Nemesis01 wrote:Yeah its all preference I guess. I agree that monoke isn't necessarily the best of the series but I guess I am a set/theme kind of guy so I like how the Totoro and Mononoke look displayed together...even howls can sort of fit into the theme slightly. Sadly although spirited away was probably my most hyped Olly Ghibli print at the time for some reason I was let down by it. Not to say it isn't a great piece of art but it I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting and did not see it going with the other Moss prints I have. Have not seen it in person though so I am sure one day it may grow on me.
I know what you mean – it looks and feels more like a studio product rather than an “olly moss” print – it seems lacking in Mossness (unlike, say, Jungle Book which was something of a return to the more design-led style that most of his fans seem to be fans of (and which is sadly reflected in the aftermarket price of that print which means I wont be getting one unless I manage to score the next “Jaws” and trade for one)
Post Reply