Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
GmidD
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:10 pm

rickker wrote:ahhhh Norman. +1 Psycho. (now I suppose I should track the Danger down to complete my set)
The reg Danger Psycho is one of my favorite movie prints I've ever purchased. The colors on that thing are amazing! I do really like Tong's too though.
KevboNice
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm

these should be signed right? didnt they say that all the prints from the show were signed? didnt say it on the product page though....
.i open at the close.

http://isofund.bigcartel.com/
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:05 pm

GmidD wrote:
rickker wrote:ahhhh Norman. +1 Psycho. (now I suppose I should track the Danger down to complete my set)
The reg Danger Psycho is one of my favorite movie prints I've ever purchased. The colors on that thing are amazing! I do really like Tong's too though.
Pullin's is great too. Nice and simple. Doesn't get enough props IMO.
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

it's wild how the Ansin party has kind of ended.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 pm

jimbobiii wrote:it's wild how the Ansin party has kind of ended.
Haven't really cared for much of his work since Taxi Driver, TBH.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Good, now someone give me a Taxi Driver for cost since everyone hates him now! :twisted:
FlapJack
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I know ... it's weird.

Remember that Stout guy?
bb2j3z
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Well I think Mondo overused him on some bad movie pairings. Lots of new movies with a similar sci-fi theme on unproven franchises. Probably the only good one recently - pairing, movie, and art was Taxi Driver. I'd be more interested in seeing him tackle older properties like 60 or 70s movies.

He's still mega talented and was excited by his gallery work. Other than Prometheus.. another bad pairing like the previous ones. Flash Gordon was awesome! Good to see Mondo actually doing a movie that's not a retread.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Seemed like the decline started around the time Dr. Scott left our presence. Coincidence?

FWIW I really like his new style and the composition of some of his recent pieces has been great. The movies were all so terrible though....
The Flash Gordon set from the most recent show is some classic Ansin greatness though.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
WhoLikesRingo
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Brazil will always be my favorite piece of his
rickker
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

RadRacing wrote:
GmidD wrote:
Wow. Haven't seen that one before. Good stuff from the Ghoul!
No matter where you go, there you are.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

rickker wrote:
RadRacing wrote:
GmidD wrote:
Wow. Haven't seen that one before. Good stuff from the Ghoul!
The variant of that is great. Silver metallics instead of green. Simple but effective.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
simianfever
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Seemed like the decline started around the time Dr. Scott left our presence. Coincidence?

FWIW I really like his new style and the composition of some of his recent pieces has been great. The movies were all so terrible though....
The Flash Gordon set from the most recent show is some classic Ansin greatness though.
The newer style has never really done much for me, but as you say it may have a lot to do with the properties. That said a print like Dracula has so much more interesting depth with just the lines and flat colors than any of the more recent works using that grainy noise blend do for me.
dasher12
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Ansin's Dracula and other classic monsters with the clean lines and one or two central figures really shine for me. The new prints and his sci-fi stuff I do not like as much. I'm all for Mondo using him once of twice a year on a classic film and it being a knockout print. He is amazing and his work needs to go back to the praise it got before.I don't however see any of the newer stuff from the most recent show skyrocketing in value. None of it spoke to me but thats just my opinion.
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm

bb2j3z wrote:
Well I think Mondo overused him on some bad movie pairings. Lots of new movies with a similar sci-fi theme on unproven franchises. Probably the only good one recently - pairing, movie, and art was Taxi Driver. I'd be more interested in seeing him tackle older properties like 60 or 70s movies.

He's still mega talented and was excited by his gallery work. Other than Prometheus.. another bad pairing like the previous ones. Flash Gordon was awesome! Good to see Mondo actually doing a movie that's not a retread.
Flash Gordon is terrific. best ansin prints since taxi driver for sure